Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:19 am 
Vertec wrote:
FWIW, the same notice is posted at the Mount Pilchuck trailhead.
Huh. What an amazing coincidence that there are two groups of chain smoking triplets with the same ages and same white beat up truck following people up both trails with possible knives.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 6:09 am 
Vertec wrote:
The same exact sign? Mentioning "Cable Line"? I find that hard to believe. Anyway none of the 19 Pilchuck reports posted on WTA since Oct 11 mention it.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:59 am 
What's your beef with Brian Rs posts? Nothing happened to the alleged victim except someone he didnt like was at the trailhead!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:58 am 
Thanks for the heads up and the request CC. Yes, it may be tough to get any police attention there given KC staffing levels and the apparent difficulty of convincing anyone of a threat w/o very clear physical evidence, but you never know. My only suggestion here would be to call the King County Sherriff non-emergency number if you are not dealing with an emergency - e.g. if you saw people scouting cars but none were being broken into while you were watching, or you think you had a close call but you are now safe for instance. If the point is to try to more generally get some police attention to this set of trailheads this would be better than troubling 911 operators with non-emergency calls, and I imagine at least a little more effective at clueing the police in to the fact that this area may be worth some emphasis from them. The progression of this thread reminds me a bit of Errol Morris' great book "Believing is Seeing" which I finished recently. He looks at how people draw conclusions from photographs, and concludes (and demonstrates quite well) that they see what they already believe in them. I guess this happens even more so with laminated trailhead posters that weren't run by the copyediting team.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 am 
I think some are more worried about the fact other members here, myself included, are perplexed by the sign for a few reasons, one of which is the strange wording of the notice. Another is simply the mix of seeming detail and vagueness. So tell us what is the take-away we should have regarding this sign ... I mean other than the obvious be careful out there and call the police if you witness illegal activity? Maybe a trio of three good suggestions would help us understand. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 am 
RumiDude wrote:
So tell us what is the take-away we should have regarding this sign ... I mean other than the obvious be careful out there and call the police if you witness illegal activity? Maybe a trio of three good suggestions would help us understand.
I’m still fogged on why there’s so much confusion and hand-wringing about a sign tacked to a tree. It’s as if this the first sign ever seen in the woods, ever. Interpret it however you wish, and act accordingly, or not at all.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
stever

stever
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 am 
As someone who hikes up at Tiger or on the Cable Line once a month I'm not so dismissive of the sign as some of you are. Do I feel safe hiking up there? Yes. Do I see sketchy characters up there along the road at times? Yes. And to expand on my latter yes it's not a an every time occurrence but there are people who for lack of a better word hang out along the road that even I as a 6'3" 220 pound male still cast a wary eye at. I had one guy who came up to me when I finished a pre-work hike one early morning asking me for money so he could get to Issaquah (I'm not making that up). The smart alec in me wanted to say just walk West for a few miles and you'll be there. The thing that bothered me about the encounter was I am very observant and where he was at before showing up at my car I have no idea. I barely had the car unlocked and my pack off and he was right there. After I told him I had no money he asked me for some smokes which being a non-smoker I didn't have either. He mumbled thanks anyway and walked away towards the woods. Based on my own observations from hiking up there I tend to believe something happened to the person who posted the sign. Maybe they embellished the incident a bit? I don't care, I always say better to be safe than sorry. Just my $.02 SR

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 pm 
neek wrote:
Vertec wrote:
The same exact sign? Mentioning "Cable Line"? I find that hard to believe. Anyway none of the 19 Pilchuck reports posted on WTA since Oct 11 mention it.
I saw the sign while hiking Pilchuck last week,it is just a few yards up the trail. Not sure if it's the exact same sign, pretty sure it just is a warning as to what happened on the cable line trail and to be aware.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:15 pm 
I’m not suggesting it’s not important to pay attention to the sign. RumiDude is asking us what he’s supposed to think and do about the sign, as if this sign is different from any other warning sign or he's never seen a sign before, and doesn't know what to think, which would be odd. Read it, be wary (or not) and act accordingly (or not). That's it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
So tell us what is the take-away we should have regarding this sign ... I mean other than the obvious be careful out there and call the police if you witness illegal activity? Maybe a trio of three good suggestions would help us understand.
I’m still fogged on why there’s so much confusion and hand-wringing about a sign tacked to a tree. It’s as if this the first sign ever seen in the woods, ever. Interpret it however you wish, and act accordingly, or not at all.
I"m still fogged on why some are confused and wringing their hands that others pointed out the obvious oddities in the sign. But they keep coming back to note their confusion as to the discussion about the oddity of the sign. So let me ask you directly, if you see any of the following at a trailhead are you going to call 911 having not otherwise witnessed any illegal activity? Why or why not? If you do call 911, what are you going to tell the operator? -- a white male (or maybe three) late 40s early 50s and of average height (whatever that is), may or may not have a beard (length of beard unknow), said beard may or may not be salt & pepper, may possibly be chain smoking a cigarettes (brand unkown) -- a white pickup truck (midsize or fullsize unknow) (make unknown) (regular, supercab, or club cab unknown) medium oldish (whatever that means) What if you got to a trailhead and didn't see any men but saw what you thought is the truck? What if you are hiking out and as you get near the trailhead you see one, two, or three men that match your minds eye of the men described? My take on this is that it sounds like an Urban Legend. Not saying it is an Urban Legend, just that it sure sounds like one. I already try to be aware and careful so I am not sure this sign is really helpful given its nature. And unless I see illegal or suspicious behavior I am not calling 911. Of course I live on the Olympic Peninsula and I'm glad my son told me about Mick Dodge before I actually met him. Even then it was kinda a shock when I saw him out on the West End.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm 
I've only hiked in the Issaquah Alps once in all my years here, because a friend wanted to. I hike for the views and to be in peaceful, natural settings; these trails don't check either box for me. The gym is three miles from home and I get a better workout there, plus I have skis and a bike for my heart and lungs. But reminders to be aware of your surroundings are always good. And I do agree police priories follow a squeaky wheel policy.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:13 pm 
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided. Very dangerous folks with potential knives.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm 
Damian wrote:
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided. Very dangerous folks with potential knives.
Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples? Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:03 pm 
I thought this was going to be an interesting thread about a failed expedition to conquer the cable line, includings tails of porters, internal party tensions, horrible weather, extreme hardship, despondancy, heroism, avalanches, frostbite, fevers, etc.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples? Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.
It's it really paring if it's an apple? We need a trailhead sign to know for sure.