Forum Index > Trail Talk > Recommended forested, shady areas of the mountains in central Idaho?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:41 pm 
Hi everyone, This last August I went backpacking in south-central Idaho - Big Creek and Loon Lake areas - and, while, nice, it was pretty burnt out, not much tree cover and it was pretty exposed and hot. A lot of where we were hiking were along river canyons where there was very little in the way of trees. Lot of landslides, boulders, and burnt out areas. For next summer I'd like to go somewhere that's more wooded, shadier, with more cover. It doesn't have to be a rain forest, but at least an area where we will mostly be out of the sun and hiking through woods. Also not in grizzly country. This last time I had a semi-dangerous enounter with a mother black bear and her two cubs, and I shudder to think what would have happened had it been a grizzly. Also, I'd like an area where we can make it a several day (5-7 days) backpacking. Any recommendations? I'm open to Idaho as well as Oregon and Washington.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:49 pm 
Suiattle River Trail, outside Darrington.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Suiattle River Trail, outside Darrington.
This looks quite nice. Although for several days would need to join one of the other trails and some of them (Miner's Ridge for example) looks like you need snow climbing gear even in the summer. I'll add it to the list, but would need a 6-10 day loop that doesn't pass through snow fields.