Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
neek wrote:
Vertec wrote:
FWIW, the same notice is posted at the Mount Pilchuck trailhead.
The same exact sign? Mentioning "Cable Line"? I find that hard to believe. Anyway none of the 19 Pilchuck reports posted on WTA since Oct 11 mention it.
I saw the sign while hiking Pilchuck last week,it is just a few yards up the trail. Not sure if it's the exact same sign, pretty sure it just is a warning as to what happened on the cable line trail and to be aware.
Thanks for the +1. Yes, the exact same sign (lamination, font, nails, etc..) was at Pilchuck before 11/1. I have a photo, but really didn't want to waste the space needed to post it. Seems to me these types of issues are on the rise. Yes this is a hiking forum, but we can't ignore the fact that these types of issues affect our activities. I'd rather see this type of information shared so people can make their own decisions based on as much information as possible. Doing so can hopefully contribute to a decrease in these issues. Ignorance and denial won't make them go away. Everyone can apply their own "filter" as they see fit.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:06 pm 
Vertec wrote:
Yes, the exact same sign (lamination, font, nails, etc..) was at Pilchuck before 11/1.
Really weird. Pilchuck is not exactly close to Tiger. BTW, I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning you - just thought for sure it would have been a different sign.
Vertec wrote:
Seems to me these types of issues are on the rise. Yes this is a hiking forum, but we can't ignore the fact that these types of issues affect our activities. I'd rather see this type of information shared so people can make their own decisions based on as much information as possible. Doing so can hopefully contribute to a decrease in these issues. Ignorance and denial won't make them go away.
Agreed. I appreciate CC's post.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:41 pm 
neek wrote:
I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning you
No problem. ....filtering... dizzy.gif However, less noise makes filtering easier. Anyone around in the last year or so is painfully aware of this (me included). "Lessons learned":
(case closed)

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 6:45 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Damian wrote:
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided. Very dangerous folks with potential knives.
Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples? Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.
Kim you've got it all mixed up again as usual. Potential Knife has potential by virtue of its position in time and space. Near the Earth's surface, knife potential is defined as it's mass times gravitational accelleration (32.2 ft/sec**2) times its elevation with respct to something else. Unlike Kinetic Knife, whose kineticness is defined by it's mass times its velocity squared, then multiplied by one half.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm 
I'm all for honestly sharing crimes that have been committed or attempted. My car was broken onto. I was mugged. I was car jacked. A guy demanded mu wallet but I fought him off. Otherwise its damaging. I'm pretty sure if those three chainsmokers really wanted to victimize anonymous potential victim, they would have.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm 
Damian wrote:
Kim you've got it all mixed up again as usual. bblah, blah, wiener neener hocus pocus walla walla washington
O stop talking rot. Besides, it's 'its,' hoser. headrub.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 pm 
I never said those words. The quote function is broken. My intalek is wasted on you Kim Brown.

uww

uww
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I'm all for honestly sharing crimes that have been committed or attempted. My car was broken onto. I was mugged. I was car jacked. A guy demanded mu wallet but I fought him off. Otherwise its damaging. I'm pretty sure if those three chainsmokers really wanted to victimize anonymous potential victim, they would have.
I sincerely apolozize for my damaging police report when I thought I was scaring off the two guys who were casing cars at the Dickerman trailhead. I did not actually see them enter a vehicle. Hanging around another car while your buddy keeps lookout in his running truck is not a crime, and neither is following somoene up a trail and then cornering them off trail. I should have let them proceed instead of ruining their enjoyment of the mountains. The car with a broken window I saw later was probably just a coincidence.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
RumiDude is asking us what he’s supposed to think and do about the sign, as if this sign is different from any other warning sign or he's never seen a sign before, and doesn't know what to think
No, you re the one who earlier in the thread wrote: "It's a warning sign someone put up." I am saying the sign doesn't make sense. And because of that I think it probably should be taken with a grain of salt, maybe even pulled down. Additionally the sign is telling people to call 911 if they see blah blah medium-old, average blah blah, late/early blah, blah blah chain smoking ... sounds like my neighbor down the street desription. That would most likely result in an awkward conversation with the operator and do the opposite of what CC wants, which is to get LE to take crime at these trailheads seriously. If someone sees illegal or highly suspicious behavior, indeed call 911. I don't think I or anyone else has disputed that in this thread. But that is pretty obvious advice. Kinda like don't forget to take your umbrella if it looks like rain, look both ways before crossing the street, don't accept candy from strangers, wear sunscreen, blah blah blah blah blah ... Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm 
uww wrote:
I sincerely apolozize for my damaging police report when I thought I was scaring off the two guys who were casing cars at the Dickerman trailhead. I did not actually see them enter a vehicle. Hanging around another car while your buddy keeps lookout in his running truck is not a crime, and neither is following somoene up a trail and then cornering them off trail. I should have let them proceed instead of ruining their enjoyment of the mountains. The car with a broken window I saw later was probably just a coincidence.
Calling the police when something suspicious like car prowling at a trailhead is actually happening is different than posting flyers with a vague description of a type of person that might have had a weapon and might have followed a person to maybe take his wallet and keys and suggesting they call the police if they see these vaguely described people.

Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am 
Here's my total as*h$%#, know-it-all post of the day smile.gif :
Damian wrote:
Unlike Kinetic Knife, whose kineticness is defined by it's mass times its velocity squared, then multiplied by one half.
Wrong order of operations above. It matters. Use 1/2mv^2, no parenthesis.
Kim Brown wrote:
Besides, it's 'its,' hoser.
True, Damian's use of the contraction was inappropriate. But 'its and its' do not exist. The possessive pronoun form is simply its--just as you would use his or hers. Again, it's is used only for the contraction it is.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 am 
The real crime here is pounding 4 nails into that tree. But really this seems bogus too me. When something scares people they fill in the blanks in their mind with fallacy, it's natural they can't help it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
uww

uww
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:06 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Calling the police when something suspicious like car prowling at a trailhead is actually happening is different than posting flyers with a vague description of a type of person that might have had a weapon and might have followed a person to maybe take his wallet and keys and suggesting they call the police if they see these vaguely described people.
Doesn't seem different to me- I gave a pretty vague description of the type of person who might have been prowling cars and might have broken a window. In retrospect I should have posted a flyer- could have helped someone new to this region that was unaware of the high level of property crime. What would be the motivation to post these signs assuming the story is made up? To disparage smokers? Seems far more likely to me someone got rattled encountering some of the plentiful tweakers that inhabit these parts. I'd guess the creeps chickened out of their genius plan.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 am 
Keep in mind these low brow types that are being called into question here may be smokin those meths to a point where they are perfectly capable of smokin those cigs while moving uphill at a decent clip. Even chain smokin'!

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 am 
uww wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Doesn't seem different to me- I gave a pretty vague description of the type of person who might have been prowling cars and might have broken a window. In retrospect I should have posted a flyer- could have helped someone new to this region that was unaware of the high level of property crime. What would be the motivation to post these signs assuming the story is made up? To disparage smokers? Seems far more likely to me someone got rattled encountering some of the plentiful tweakers that inhabit these parts. I'd guess the creeps chickened out of their genius plan.
Well for one, if you ACTUALLY saw someone car prowling that's different. A sign that says cars have been broken into here, be vigilant would be ok, too. Saying I saw a guy that looked like this (vaguely describe a demographic, not a specific person) that might have had a weapon and might have followed mr to maybe steal my wallet and keys. Call 911 if you see these persons, but the description is basically a whole demographic. This is wrong for lots of reasons.