Forum Index > Gear Talk > Fun With Tents In November On A Rainy Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm 
Name this tent. Hint: I bought it in 1987, I think.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:26 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Name this tent.
"The Old Goat"? hockeygrin.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 pm 
Clip flashlight?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 8:45 am 
reststep wrote:
Clip flashlight?
That sounds like it. I've been torturing myself by starting to think about a bike packing trip next year. I must decide between the coffin tent or the nice, but heavier tent. I only have several months to make a decision! smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
reststep

reststep
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am 
If it was me I would probably go with the lighter tent but that is just me. It might depend on the time year also.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 am 
If you're taking an ebike weight probably doesn't matter that much, but packed size still does.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 2:01 pm 
If it's a Clip Flashlight from that era, I'd get rid of it. Mine from the late 1980s was horrible--not enough ventilation resulting in too much condensation on the underside of the fly, which dripped copiously through the inner ceiling onto me! I gave the tent away quite a few years ago to a NWH member whose gear was stolen in the Columbia River Gorge. I warned him about the ventilation problem, but the tent worked for him until he could afford a new one. In these days of silnylon, you can get a double-wall year-around tent, 2-person so plenty of room for the latest dog, at 44 oz., over 2 lbs. less than the Flashlight and a lot more spacious. (details on tarptent.com)

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 6:21 pm 
I got snowed on in it and don't remember much of a problem and then rained on pretty good and stayed OK. I just don't like the tiny size. I do remember being nice and snug the night of the snow--in August. The Eureka also keeps snug and warm if you have a Lab or Golden Retriever to share it with. Alas, I have a puny dog now. Not sure if I'll try an Ebike or use my mountain bike. The latter has to be modified so it is a sit upright bike. My hands go numb, and all the other wonderful painful stuff on hunch over bikes.

Franco

Franco
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm 
I had a ClipFlashlight CD , 5 pounds. At the time it was considered to be Ultra Light . That was before the internet.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm 
Yup. I think my REI half dome 2 person tent weighed 6 or 7 pounds. I packed it into a few places. Eventually, it developed a horrible odor so I tossed it out. Otherwise, it was still in good shape.

HighMiler

HighMiler
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 am 
During the 2017 backpacking season, I decided to find me a new one-person UL tent. I slept in 6 different shelters on the next seven outings. The experiences solidified my wishes and wants in a new shelter. I also had a "need" - being an old guy on a fixed income, with too many tents already on the shelf, any new equipment had to be priced in the "budget" area One of the units I used twice is a 3-lb Ozark Trails modified-dome tarp tent called the SOLO. It was $30 when first posted on Walmart's website and I bought it. Within days the price was raised to $85 - since then it has been rollback a couple of time. This single-layer tent worked fine - handled everything any more expensive unit would - rain,strong gusty wind, hail. Does get condensation inside and the rectangular bug-screened sleeping compartment is kinda narrow, but it has two doors and two adequate vestibules. The condensation never was a problem because I am short enough not to push the envelope - so to speak.
Slept in a friend's 43-oz. Ozark Trail two-layer unit after that. No condensation due to separate fly, but tapered floor (narrower at foot) one door, one almost adequate vestibule. Not going to go into reviewing the rest of my test shelters, but the resulting desired features for. a one-person shelter were: Separate rainfly, free-standing(or semi-free), rectangular floor(so head can be at either end, side entry, two doors, two adequate vestibules, targeted weight and price = "As low as possible!!" I found Paria Outdoor Products online - bought myself 3#-1 oz. Zion 1P. for $149.95 which meets all my conditions. The Zion 2P is not that much heavier nor expensive if one needs or wants a larger unit.
Now I want one a them there reasonably-priced Paria Down Quilts.

The journey is as important as the destination.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 11:11 am 
When I used to go to fires, I took a cheapo $20 dome tent. It worked until the big gullywasher hit. The "rainfly" was one of those that barely covered the mesh at the top and the wind blew the rain under the fly and into the tent. But, I was better off than those poor guys who were sleeping in cardboard boxes. A couple of them said they had contemplated joining me in my tent. A fellow crewmember who had borrowed a clip flashlight tent slept dry and soundly through the stormy night. That's what inspired me to get one. I think it will be the bikepacking tent too, after I do some seam sealing and testing. I've only used it in arid areas. I used it in the Grand Canyon and it rained pretty good during one night. I stayed dry and snug. We Warshington people got thanked by the locals everywhere in that area for bringing our rain with us. I was not too happy about bringing the rain, but at least we had the right gear for it. So many other backpackers did not.