Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gosh Dang-It To Heck
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am 
First it was the bears! Then the mountain lions. And then the Olympic peninsula goats. Now this!!!! http://www.ifiberone.com/columbia_basin/wildlife-officials-warn-public-about-moose-sightings-in-north-wenatchee/article_b3670f1c-065e-11ea-b9f9-a7b72a9de4c8.html

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 am 
There have been multiple moose sightings in Washington. I know of one that was caught on a wildlife cam south of Highway 2. There was a moose sighted on the PCT in October this year. This is good. It means more prey for all those griz they are going to ship into the Cascades and such. The bears won't have to eat as many hikers now with big ole moose to eat. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am 
Not so rare in WA.
WDFW wrote:
As of 2015, there were approximately 5,000 moose estimated to live in Washington State. The majority of these are in the Selkirk Mountains (Pend Oreille, Stevens, Ferry, and Spokane counties) with smaller populations in the north Cascades, Okanogan, and Blue Mountains.
Link Hunting moose is even permitted in the Mt Spokane area Moose hunting maps

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:29 am 
Have many pics of them on my Methow cams

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Not so rare in WA.
I guess people were just not aware of how much danger they were in hiking in Washington. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:43 pm 
Danger hihi.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 pm 
Beautiful downtown Anchorage hosts a wintertime moose population of about 1900. The summertime population is roughly half that. They can be real pests, easily hopping over tall fencing and consuming an entire backyard garden in a few minutes and of course hunting within the city limits isn't allowed. The Anchorage fire department has a call code for "moose in roof" and considerable experience in how to extract a moose that has hopped up onto a residential roof and had its legs punch through leaving it stranded.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm 
I spotted a total of three moose, meece, mooses this year. In one area, it had burned and willows were plentiful. We came upon two youngish ones there. Then I saw an adult that my foolish demon dog kind of flushed out of the brush. The Demon dog quickly saw what she had done and gave up the chase. I foolishly was fumbling for my camera and then realized the moose was not moving and maybe it had a baby and maybe I better get out of there so I did. All encounters were whilst riding one of them noisy, humming ebikes. A young moose was tranquilized and moved after it appeared in a yard by the E. Wenatchee Costco. That was also this year.
Seen on the two moose day.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:26 pm 
Moose is both singular and plural. Comes from an Algonquian dialect that doesn't have singular and plural forms. Rumi

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:37 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Moose is both singular and plural. Comes from an Algonquian dialect that doesn't have singular and plural forms. Rumi
Apparently no fun allowed here either. I am thinking that there was a discussion on The Bullwinkle and Rocky Show. Moose, Meece, or Mooses Do not forget the gooses. Don't spit the snooses.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 6:14 pm 
I saw a moose in the area east of Ross lake , about 20 + years ago. We really couldn’t believe our eyes. I’m glad to hear there’s a few on east slopes of cascades. I’m not naive to the risk of close encounters but it ‘s fun to know some are around! And TS, you can call the plural of moose whatever you damn well please! Personally if I hear meeses I think it refers to mice, but that’s ok.

When I grow up I wanna play.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 6:16 pm 
"I hate meeses to pieces!" Jinx the Cat Of course he was referring to mouses ... I mean mices Rumi~the fun~Dude

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 pm 
Got my first in-the-wild moose sighting just a couple months ago in the WA Blues. Young bull.
Had a good broadside view, but by the time I got the camera out, it was mostly rump and withers (not wither or witherses).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
Personally if I hear meeses I think it refers to mice, but that’s ok.
Meeses is the plural of mouse. The Teanaway Guard Station is full of meeses feces.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 pm 
Washington has about 300 bridge trolls, most of them in the Pasayten. If you don't have a gold coin to pay for your passage, they'll use sorcery to keep you from being able to speak until you repay the debt.