Forum Index > Trip Reports > I Told My Wife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 pm 
BPG, your camera sites are seemingly crawling with cougars. I hope to catch one on mine, which is presently in the woods just 100 feet from my backdoor here in the Bellingham outskirts. Neighbors filmed two in broad daylight a month ago. Your original post has captured my interest in a big way such that I have an identical camera to the one you recommended. Thank you, and keep up the good work. So interesting and fun to see what you get! Edit: we have a band of 6-8 deer that hang out in our orchard almost daily. They are so accustomed to me that I can run the Stihl or mower just yards away and they aren't freaked out, although the alpha buck is skittish, no doubt hearing the occasional gunshot ( not from me shakehead.gif ),. And we have rabbits in abundance. As you say, BPG, where there is prey, there are likely to be predators. We keep our old deaf cat inside most of the time now and always at night.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 am 
Kittitas county has cats stacked from top to bottom. We see tracks and scat and leftover piles of bones from just outside town to the mountains and the desert and everywhere in between. We were just looking at likely cat scat while hiking up and back on French Cabin Cr last weekend. Fortunately they're fairly well behaved for the most part. It's good to review what they sound like (they chirp like birds but your ear can catch it) and think through what you're going to do if you tangle with one directly. I've stood one down by yelling and throwing rocks... The hope is always that these encounters train them to stay farther away when they see the next person. These videos of people whispering and trying to get close for a better shot really drive me batty because it's training kitty the exact wrong lesson.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Triciaann777

Triciaann777
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 11:02 pm 
The wild life was very enjoyable, thanks for sharing! I always look at the foot prints and rarely see what would fill them.....

Tricia's Mantra You were made to move,
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 7:12 am 
BPJ, your videos are simply stunning. I am so envious! You clearly are very knowledgeable.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 pm 
BPG: Thanks a lot for posting. So cool to see what’s happening out there while we are zzzzing out in the tent!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:06 pm 
Nice thread title, but it's incorrect....one does not "tell your wife" one must ASK ones wife! clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 pm 
Nice tracks! Will look forward to wolf video !

When I grow up I wanna play.
Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 pm 
I'm happy as long as the hair in the cougar scat isn't mine! The last lion I saw was on my doorstep. More awesome pics BPG - thanks!!!!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm 
So many bears. I'm finding it hard to get excited about it anymore
When you're this big, you can just mosey along
Turn the volume up on your device

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 pm 
Well there certainly is a Teanaway pack and it seems they hang in the lower part of the valley from what I hear. Just a matter of time before one, two or more shows on your cam

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Nov 24, 2019 6:19 am 
Did it appear to be a solo track or a pack

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Nov 24, 2019 9:18 pm 
This is very exciting, BPG, thanks for your efforts! We got a cheap little game cam to see what’s been eating the tops off my carrots in my greenhouse (Peter Rabbit) and as a bonus got to watch the neighbor’s cat using it for a bathroom. frown.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 pm 
My wife likes to leave carrots out in the back yard for the rabbits. We used to see them visit during day but not in a while. Seemed something larger was eating the carrots as an entire bag would be devoured by morning. Picked up this game camera on amazon as it allows connecting via wifi to make it easier to monitor and download images. https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Camera-WiFi-Activated-Monitoring-Waterproof/dp/B07XQCSZ54 As it turned out it was rabbits visiting at all hours of the night.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 am 
Tom wrote:
My wife likes to leave carrots out in the back yard for the rabbits. We used to see them visit during day but not in a while. Seemed something larger was eating the carrots as an entire bag would be devoured by morning. Picked up this game camera on amazon as it allows connecting via wifi to make it easier to monitor and download images. https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Camera-WiFi-Activated-Monitoring-Waterproof/dp/B07XQCSZ54 As it turned out it was rabbits visiting at all hours of the night.
I'm not surprised. At our old house, we had as many as 8 but only saw them at dusk. Also interesting, we never use the hear owls at night. But we started noticing more owl "hooting" when the rabbits mysteriously arrived.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:20 am 
Well I personally hope the situation doesn't turn out to be like it is in Colville for the wolf situation. But that's me