Forum Index > Trail Talk > Price drop - Garmin inReach Mini now $275
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 am 
Lots of places. Just do a google search Edit: Deep dive on features and best practices https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in-depth-garmin-inreach-mini-review/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm 
If you have a Fenix watch, it works as a remote control for the Mini, you can even send pre-set messages without taking it out of your pack.

call-151

call-151
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 pm 
Good timing, my Spot renewal is coming up. I wonder if a price drop means a new version is coming out?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 3:37 pm 
I'm going to get one. Waiting for Black Friday just to see if any better price shows up. In reading about this today I saw that it is a lot easier to use when paired with a phone via bluetooth. I also saw that you can send messages (up to 160 characters) via email and txt to anyone. Now think about sometime when you are at home and there is a disaster/storm/emergency that knocks out commincation by phone and internet. Guess what - you can still communicate 160 chars at a time via any inReach device. Now my plan for the big earthquake is to get old (well, older) gracefully and die in my sleep. But if that plan gets screwed up than I will be able to use our soon-to-be-purchased inReach Mini to tell others outside of the region about our sorry state of affairs.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm 
unsure how much my husband paid for my inReach mini last year. he bought so I can have it along on my trek to north and south basecamps of mt. Kanchenjunga. it paired with my iPhone and worked like a charm. it made typing easier since the mini is just that...mini. I like that I can receive messages! it was also very handy when we needed to check the weather! anyway, good idea Joey about using it for 'the big one'!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 pm 
I noticed them discounted last night on Amazon. I don't think a new version is coming out they just occasionally go on sale. Garmin is very strict about their authorized retailers not offering below minimum advertised price so when retailers are allowed to offer them on sale it's the same price everywhere. If you are looking to purchase consider purchasing through our Amazon shopping link at the top of the page and it will support the site. That said, REI has them on sale as well and a longer 1 year return policy.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:17 pm 
I bought one last year from biketiresdirect on one of their 20% off days. I was surprised they could sell it at their discount, but ain't gonna complain! I see they have it at the $275 price (21% off), but today isn't a 20% off day.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 5:38 pm 
How often do they have a 20% off day? Usually coupons won't work for brands that don't allow discounting below minimum advertised price but you never know until you try. Black Friday and Cyber Monday might have some good coupons. I paid full price at REI. Only 10% off with the member dividend but I figured it was worth it for the return policy given some of the issues others were having. I really like it so far. Mostly sending preset messages back which don't cost anything extra even with the cheapest plan. Edit: seems I am wrong about the REI return policy. Looks like it's only 90 days for GPS devices.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
Usually coupons won't work for brands that don't allow discounting below minimum advertised price but you never know until you try.
The current 20%-off coupon has this in the fine print: "Offer not valid on [...] any item with GPS technology".

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
Usually coupons won't work for brands that don't allow discounting below minimum advertised price but you never know until you try.
ejain wrote:
The current 20%-off coupon has this in the fine print: "Offer not valid on [...] any item with GPS technology".
For what it's worth, REI's 20% off coupons have the same restriction about GPS. But I was able to use one to knock the price of a Garmin Vector down several hundred dollars. The clerk didn't think it was allowed but CS confirmed it was legit. The inReach has GPS though doesn't it?

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 12:38 am 
I've used the InReach Mini for a year now. I have several complaints, but first is the pathetic battery life. The unit is fine for a day trip or short overnighter--but you'll need to carry a Li battery pack and cable to recharge it on a backpacking trip. Combined weight of unit and extra battery makes the larger, full-function Garmin more appealing. My second biggest complaint is function complexity. The menu itself is pretty straightforward, but it will start leaving a track by default--and you'll be billed for those markers. And your designee may or may not actually receive a link to see your progress. The interface between cell phone and device is hopeless--I gave up. On top of this, I have to pony up $19 bucks a month for what amounts to a bare bones text device and SOS. Again, I'd get the full-featured InReach. Or just get a non-subscription PLB and use your smart phone/Gaia Topo in airplane mode for navigation.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 am 
For me it's about having options. I have the cheapest plan and pre-set messages are free. It sends location with the pre-set message so my wife can see where I am. If my wife needs to send an urgent message or vice-versa there's 10 free messages a month. Compared to not having options it's a small price to pay. Just paused my plan and it's not costing me anything for months I don't plan to use it. Can't really fault it and I didn't miss having a larger unit for my usage. All I wanted it for was to keep my wife from worrying and for emergencies. Battery life is a non-issue depending on how you use it.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 5:34 am 
If you are a first-time shopper at wellbots.com you should see a coupon for $20 off if you spend $100. Coupon worked OK for the Mini. No tax, free ship.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 am 
Tom wrote:
How often do they have a 20% off day? Usually coupons won't work for brands that don't allow discounting below minimum advertised price but you never know until you try.
I haven’t paid enough attention to detect a pattern, but maybe once a month or two. I was very surprised it worked for a Garmin. Maybe They had a glitch in their ordering system.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 am 
Brian R wrote:
I have several complaints, but first is the pathetic battery life.
I just used mine on a three week trip. Started with 60% battery and ended with 38%. I only turn it on to send preset messages, 3-5 times a day.