Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gosh Dang-It To Heck
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am 
Geese people. You shouldn't be telling the location of your mooses sightings! I mean, now the only person having the moose hunting permit will know to go to Eastern Washington to bag a moose! You've doomed the Eastern WA mooses! I debated whether to even post my picture cuz it'll lead the moose hunter right to that area! Mmmm, moose is delicious but my hunting friends refuse to pay (yet again) to enter the lottery.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:59 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Not so rare in WA.
I guess people were just not aware of how much danger they were in hiking in Washington. Rumi
Sky Hiker wrote:
Danger hihi.gif
Actually moose are pretty dangerous. More dangerous than bears by many accounts.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Actually moose are pretty dangerous. More dangerous than bears by many accounts.
Indeed: Not for the squeamish

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Not so rare in WA.
I guess people were just not aware of how much danger they were in hiking in Washington. Rumi
Where's that irony emoji when I need it. I was trying to ironically mock all those that have been worried about the reintroduction of grizzly into the North Cascades because of how dangerous they are. I guess I was a wee bit too subtle in my attempt. This irony was a bit more open in my first post in the thread when I wrote: "This is good. It means more prey for all those griz they are going to ship into the Cascades and such. The bears won't have to eat as many hikers now with big ole moose to eat." It is a bit more complicated than that because adult moose are not easy prey, but young moose are easier and a favorite of grizzly bear where they both exist in the same area. Either way, the griz won't have to eat the hikers if they have plenty of moose to eat. Yes, moose are one of the more dangerous animals out there. They are not an oversized Bambi. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm 
I'm thinking its gonna be increased potential for high profile major predator throw downs to go down in the backckcountry between moose and a bear. This is gonna be a big deal when you come around that corner on them remote routes - talking up northeast p'sayten type deal - and are suddenly CONFRONTED with a moose vs. Grizz fight to the death!! They're gonna have to start warning people of this VERY real threat in hike descriptors, trip reports, and various internet sources people are looking at to research their next big move.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I'm thinking its gonna be increased potential for high profile major predator throw downs to go down in the backckcountry between moose and a bear. This is gonna be a big deal when you come around that corner on them remote routes - talking up northeast p'sayten type deal - and are suddenly CONFRONTED with a moose vs. Grizz fight to the death!! They're gonna have to start warning people of this VERY real threat in hike descriptors, trip reports, and various internet sources people are looking at to research their next big move.
Nope. Perhaps the Game Dept. will double the moose permits issued. That will make 2 tags available. My unleashed dog will scare all the mooses and bears away. She is now an experienced moosehound.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:32 am 
Lots of moose in the Methow Valey. I see them in my yard frequently. Often within 20 or 30 feet of the house.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am 
Watch your dogs around moose...Dogs tend to agitate moose. An agitated moose will stomp any dog foolish enough to get within hoof-reach. For real...not kidding. Moose are way faster than dogs or most humans realize...they are not lumbering, passive, vegetarian giants.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
nickmtn

nickmtn
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 am 
I seen one in Wenatchee. I ain't saying where, but I was on a paddleboard at the time.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:33 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Watch your dogs around moose...Dogs tend to agitate moose. An agitated moose will stomp any dog foolish enough to get within hoof-reach. For real...not kidding. Moose are way faster than dogs or most humans realize...they are not lumbering, passive, vegetarian giants.
My dog kinda figured that out on her own, although I do believe she could outrun a moose and out maneuver it. She is a very fast dog. But I can't. As I said, we left the area before any mooseadventure occurred.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
I seen one in Wenatchee. I ain't saying where, but I was on a paddleboard at the time.
Confluence park area. That moose has been in the news quite a bit. Ooops, now the one holder of the moose tag will know where to go!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:47 pm 
My favorite moose sighting ( favorite moose AND favorite sighting) was at the cemetery in Republic on Memorial weekend. There he was horsing around the newly decorated headstones. I've seen several in the Republic area over the years. Scary, but also a treat. They're huge.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 3:48 pm 
My brother lives on the Kenai Peninsula in AK. He and his wife used to train and race sled dogs. Their biggest fear when out on a trail was meeting a moose. They often do not yield the trail and can tear up a complete dog team in harness in seconds.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 4:21 pm 
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 pm 
Perhaps more people should hike with Moosedogs?