Forum Index > Gear Talk > dr bronners alternatives?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hkergrl

hkergrl
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 pm 
Anyone have a trail safe soap (other than dr bronners) that they recommend? I want something dual purpose for hands/dishes/body/hair and the problem I find is that this stuff dries my long hair out to the point that I can't brush it out. What else is out there that might work?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 pm 
I've been using Dr. B's soap for years. Never noticed if it dried out my hair, but I don't have much hair any more. No, I'm not much help at all. But welcome to the site. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
hkergrl

hkergrl
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:24 pm 
Fair enough biggrin.gif I have long, thick hair and it just doesn't seem to work. I've tried for years lol And thanks! Was stoked to find this site.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 pm 
Trick: Use no soap and your body oils will make brushing easy. Okay, I'm no help either, but welcome to the site.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 pm 
I don’t use any “soap” on the trail. A little scrubby maybe for dishes, but mostly just sand or a bent fir bough, if that. Usually it’s just my hands and a little water. A microfiber cloth for face, body and I let my hair just be whatever it is. Sometimes it becomes a rats nest.... but I’m not seeing myself in a mirror.....It’s actually probably better for your hair not to put soap on it every day...well, that’s what I think.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am 
I’m also in the no soap club, I just do a sponge bath on occasion; I don’t use a comb or brush when backpacking, but rake it with my fingers. And I don't use soap to wash my mess kit. (Good lord, I'm a gross specimen) However, for hair - I know some women whose hair is incredibly thick; for multi day backpacking, they tie their hair up in French braids. I have tried, but I never mastered the do. I suppose you’d have to practice and wear it a few times beforehand – hair follicles in directions other than their normal position can create pain in the scalp and for me, a headache as well. But if you’re out for several days, you WOULD want to wash your hair, and I bet that's what your question is about. I’ve used Doc Bronners for that, and only did a cursory scalp wash and half-assed rinse; it ain’t pretty or anything, but it made me feel better. So - no help, sorry. (does Psssst Dry Shampoo make a cloth version of their no-soap hair wash? - but that's not dual-purpose stuff as you asked for)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:29 pm 
Biodegradable soaps are some form of vegetable based oil (Palm, Coconut, Olive, et al) and an alkai (sodium lauryl sulfate). Most don't list detailed ingredients, but should be a "plant-based surfactant". Ideally they should be preservative, fragrance and dye free. There are other camping specific soaps like Camp Suds that you could try, they're all a bunch of expensive soap packaged in 2 to 4 ounces containers. There are some biodegradable dish soaps like Seventh Generation that are probably far kinder, You could buy some for the kitchen and experiment at home with your hair. Easy enough to repackage for camping.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
HighMiler

HighMiler
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm 
Hiya, might try DIY dry shampoo - google that and get some ideas. Create your own combo and market it.

The journey is as important as the destination.