Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Advice for moving to the Northwest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 pm 
Couple questions. Will you purchase a place or rent? Why is public transportation important to you? How do you use public transportation?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:56 pm 
I spent a few days in Boise this past week and was surprised. Lots of biking routes and many places to hike within a short distance. Seems to have a lot going on too. It is Idaho though. rolleyes.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 am 
Born and raised in the greater Seattle area. Based on what you say you're looking for, I actually think Portland would be a good fit. I would not suggest Enumclaw - "active" and "bike friendly" are not an adjectives that come to mind there.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 4:44 am 
Sedro-Woolley, Burlington, Mt. Vernon??? Not sure about your risk tolerance for bike riding ops. Rural roads have obvious dangers. Most of all, where ever you land, volunteer for city/county land use agencies/boards like planning commissions to hold the line on annexations and UGA expansions. Tom

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:49 am 
Whatever you decide to do, don't move in and then try to tell your neighbors how they have to change to accomodate you. If affordable housing prices, availability of parking spaces, and not paying taxes for things you never wanted and will never use are issues, you do not want to live in metropolitan Seattle. If, on the other hand, you don't mind paying confiscatory rates for car license tabs, never being able to find a place to park your car, or having sports stadiums jammed down your throat whether you want them or not, then Seattle is just the place to be. (Oh.. and make sure to invite all of your homeless friends - the City will be happy to find them housing too.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:44 am 
I think Ski's advice covers Portland too. I once thought that if I had to live in a big city, it would be Portland or Spokane. Portland is now crazy and Spokane is now growing and doing the usual thing of putting wider roads in. I haven't been there since returning from exile so will have to do so. Small towns? I like Republic. It reminds me of how Twisp used to be. Plus, they have a lake and a bike trail nearby and houses are still affordable.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 am 
PDX has become noticeably worse in the 15 years since I've been going there fairly regularly. Repair of bad roads is obviously not a priority, and the ones that do get some repair often also get their disastrous 'calming' methods..removing lanes, narrowing existing lanes, etc. The end result after spending the money is less throughput (with full intent) and traffic increases on arterials around them... due to the decreased capacity after 'calming'. (They're trying to force people onto buses and trains because not enough of pesky little people will choose them on their own. ) The city's finances and governance are a fustercluck, they are one of the few places still staggering along under the 'commission' style of govt, abandoned nearly everywhere else. They started work on a reservoir project *before* fulling testing out the soil/geology and discovered after work began that the geology means the costs will soar 200% over the initial estimates. (minimum extra overcharge, of course it will be more). Then there was TRIMET, caught using private busing companies to move their own trimet drivers to assigned locations because it was *cheaper* than trimet using it's own system to move them. I don't pay as much attention to the SEATAC anthill antics any more because I don't have to, thank god, but it's likely as bad or worse as the city council goes farther and farther towards their inverted version of 'justice', which of course means the net taxpayers live in and around ever increasing squalor. But hey, step over that dude puking on the sidewalk and you can get to some real nice trendy cafes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
reststep

reststep
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm 
I think if I was moving here from out of state I might take a look at Port Townsend.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:42 pm 
I agree with those who suggest the north areas, Bellingham would have everything you need with way less people and good access to hiking and recreation and also to Canada if you are interested in visiting there. Maybe the San Juan islands, Port Townsend, Port Orchard, Camano Island, etc. Traffic is so bad in Seattle and Portland, one would have to be crazy to live there, unless they happen to be employed in those (Sodom and Gomorrah) cities.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:42 pm 
Wenatchee is not yet part of the hive mind either, though the early signs of metastasis are showing up.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
(They're trying to force people onto buses and trains because not enough of pesky little people will choose them on their own. )
^ This was one of the primary reasons I moved OUT of West Seattle and BACK to Tacoma. It became obvious that the City government was determined to force a net reduction in available parking spaces in the metropolitan core, based on their delusional belief that doing so would compel people to use public mass-transit systems. We are seeing some of the same sort of nonsense here - roads "upgraded" so that the net end result is reduced traffic flow, reduced parking availability, more stupid "round-a-bouts" that people in this country apparently will never learn how to navigate around, and an increase in the time required to drive from one point to another within the city limits. What baffles me is that the people who get elected to municipal governments, and those employed in planning departments, are all apparently of the belief that making it more difficult to drive and park your car is going to get people to ride mass-transit systems. The reality is that automobile manufacturers have lots of advertising money, and they hire more competent and effective marketing people than city governments could ever hope to have on their payrolls, and they will prevail when it comes to keeping the American public behind the wheel of a new car.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:21 pm 
They're in need of reminders that they're here to serve us, not their plans, and it 100% irrelevant if they approve of our plans, or preferences, or not. Citizens have plans and preferences of our own, and it is 100% inappropriate to force people to serve the plumbing, rather than installing the plumbing to serve what the customers *actually* prove to prefer when on their own time and dime. Note this intentionally leaves out what people claim to want vs what they actually choose on their own time and dime. That's because what you *do* is the measurable, demonstrable, empirical outcome of your judgment about your value decisions, what you claim to want to do, is not. (there's a lesson here concerning another hot topic cool.gif ) There's another reality as well. This is not about efficiency. No one was born to serve someone else's view of what is efficient. Even the metrics for efficiency depend entirely on the subjective value judgments inevitably contained within the questions used to examine the quality of efficiency itself. It may be more efficient to move quantity X of people from place A to B on a bus or train, but if they don't *want* that, it is efficiency in service of...nothing. When folks have to organize their lives around a transit schedule, it is not necessarily efficient for *them*. When I was going to college without a car, it was a PITA even though it worked... because mass transit involves constant waits if you are not on a single main line at both ends. Every day I juggled the coming and going times with respect to school and labs all around when the transit would work. When I finally got a car, it cut my travel time nearly in half...and freed up my schedule, making my day more efficient...regardless of traffic. Citizens are not here to be shoved around to follow someone else's goal of 'efficiency' for their own reasons. I don't care wether it's planners or not...our lives are not their lives, and we have our own goals. If folks want buses or trains and to bear the enormous costs of trains, then more power to 'em. Pay up and ride, no problem. But when you intentionally reduce capacity rather than keep it or increase it in order to force people onto these things, that's another matter.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 pm 
Well.... I'm not sure that any of this is of any value to the OP, who's asking for advice about moving here.... My intent was simply to point out that if he's one who wants to drive his own vehicle where he wants to, when he wants to, and wants to park it where he wants to, I would submit that Seattle is probably not the best choice. It seems that the closer one is to metro Seattle, the more delusional municipal planners become when it comes to allowing drivers to make their own choices and be able to find a place to park without paying crazy parking fees. (I should perhaps note that I do NOT pay for parking unless it's absolutely necessary - like a performance at Paramount Theater or Benaroya Hall on Friday or Saturday night.) It will be interesting to see how the effects of the last go-round of local elections shakes out and exactly what sort of people some of the knuckleheads have been replaced by.
James Drew, reporting for the Tacoma News Tribune on 11/15/19, quoting Republican consultant Alex Hayes regarding I-976 wrote:
“That level of consensus on a complex policy topic does not occur very often. What I think you definitely see here is people who normally vote for the Democratic Party were really rejecting how the Democrats have governed on transportation policy,” he said.
full article here

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm 
Ski wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the effects of the last go-round of local elections shakes out and exactly what sort of people some of the knuckleheads have been replaced by.
Well somehow Sawant got re-elected. I expect it will pretty much end up the same as before.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:02 pm 
Long story short, for someone interested in a smaller city, either of the anthills is probably not the best choice. Being tiny ....compared to Mumbai, Tokyo, Mexico City, or London doesn't seem to be relevant.