Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > DNR article re vandalism on land
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 am 
From the original link.
Quote:
As long as they’re not putting themselves in harm’s way, Raedel encouraged recreationalists to grab a photograph or to write down a description of vandals if they felt comfortable, that way the force can follow up. Members of the public can call 1-855-883-8368 if they see suspicious activity.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:55 am 
RichP wrote:
From the original link.
Quote:
As long as they’re not putting themselves in harm’s way, Raedel encouraged recreationalists to grab a photograph or to write down a description of vandals if they felt comfortable, that way the force can follow up. Members of the public can call 1-855-883-8368 if they see suspicious activity.
Yes; be sure they don’t see you taking pictures of them!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:01 pm 
Recently posted on the T-A-Y facebook page:

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:18 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Recently posted on the T-A-Y facebook page:
That's really nothing much. I've seen a lot worse. It needs more beer cans, broken bottles, empty plastic energy drink containers, fast food bags and cups, espresso cups, empty propane bottles, cigarette wrappers and butts, etc. to be authentic. Tires add some ambiance as well. Broken chairs are popular items to leave. Nope, that's not bad at all. Of course, it all depends on what you are used to. A dump in Harlem is probably way more dumpier than one at a trailhead. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm 
I've seen worse too. We all have. But that's irrelevant.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm 
hey, treeswarper! was that wet soggy carpeting you found in the elk hunter camp just west of Jackpot Lake? the one where they hauled in the double-wide porcelain-enameled cast iron kitchen sink and had it attached to two trees with 3/8" lag screws? the same one where they lopped off the Western Red Cedars 8 feet from the ground and then nailed up old fire hose so they had something to suspend the blue plastic tarp roof from? dizzy.gif at least the guys who built the structure up at the lower Harlow Lake had the decency to haul in 2 x 4's to hold up the blue plastic tarp roof! great thing about blue plastic tarp roofs: they're easy to spot from a helicopter. unfortunately the Park Service couldn't get their little Huey in there so Mike D. and Keith F. had to hike in there and muscle it all out. (yes, including the small cast-iron wood stove.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:53 pm 
What enrages me is when people throw crap out of their car window as they drive along. They fill up regularly with fuel or gasoline, right? Every gas station has a trash container right next to the pumps...why can't they throw it into one of those?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 am 
Ski wrote:
hey, treeswarper! was that wet soggy carpeting you found in the elk hunter camp just west of Jackpot Lake? the one where they hauled in the double-wide porcelain-enameled cast iron kitchen sink and had it attached to two trees with 3/8" lag screws? the same one where they lopped off the Western Red Cedars 8 feet from the ground and then nailed up old fire hose so they had something to suspend the blue plastic tarp roof from? dizzy.gif at least the guys who built the structure up at the lower Harlow Lake had the decency to haul in 2 x 4's to hold up the blue plastic tarp roof! great thing about blue plastic tarp roofs: they're easy to spot from a helicopter. unfortunately the Park Service couldn't get their little Huey in there so Mike D. and Keith F. had to hike in there and muscle it all out. (yes, including the small cast-iron wood stove.)
Nope. But carpeting is all over the place. Mine was up Iron Creek, where a timber sale was going on. Since most is so heavy to pick up, perhaps folks should carry sharp knives to cut it into manageable pieces and carry it out.
I thought this to be Karma at work. They'd apparently set up camp and left for home. A plywood outhouse was placed quite close to the creek, where, well, the poopage would "trickle down" into the water. I think this was up on the Cat Cr. road. I hate left behind poop more than carpet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm 
Gregory wrote:
Unfortunately we need more cops in the woods
That. Closing gates because a tiny minority dumps garbage is about closing gates, not garbage. We are in a vicious circle where land managers are getting their budgets cut, and then pissing off the people who should be supporting them in a number of ways that I've listed elsewhere here and won't bother to do again.

If not now, when?
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:11 pm 
It's more than garbage. Burned stolen cars and motorhomes, and the general creepy feeling it gives visitors. I have turned around to give elsewhere a few times because I figure anyone lacking integrity to the point they dump and burn may still be around and wanting to cause more harm. People like that scare the hell out of me.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
My wife made this mistake last year and was chased at high-speed by the tweaker that was inside the car. Really shook her up. Next day she went down to SouthSound911 and applied for a concealed carry permit--something she had refused to do until that day.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 am 
Brian R wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
My wife made this mistake last year and was chased at high-speed by the tweaker that was inside the car. Really shook her up. Next day she went down to SouthSound911 and applied for a concealed carry permit--something she had refused to do until that day.
Just prior to Officer Christine Fairbanks's murder on the Dungeness river she came across my now wife. then a friend. camped by herself on the Hamma Hamma. Her advice to Melinda was that she should not be out there by herself and should go home. This warning came even though she had A german Shepard and an Australian Shepard that would tear you up if you got two close to her. Melinda is not one to be scared off from what she loves. With her brothers help went to training and now has a mean dog and gun.. I just do not understand why when both of us were kids and young adults we interacted with Law enforcement on a regular basis and now we have not seen one in years. We miss Christine.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 am 
the mindset comes from way way back years ago. Look at all the old rusty cans at old mining sites through out the forests, in nearly every state including some very cold places. piles and piles of junk left because it was to hard to pack out and clean up... so what is new today? has noone learned any lesson yet because it if keeps up you will be better off hiking and camping in the local land fill!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
the mindset comes from way way back years ago. Look at all the old rusty cans at old mining sites through out the forests, in nearly every state including some very cold places. piles and piles of junk left because it was to hard to pack out and clean up... so what is new today? has noone learned any lesson yet because it if keeps up you will be better off hiking and camping in the local land fill!
What is new is that folks haul garbage out to specifically dump it on vacant land, and like everything else, we have had a population explosion which means the population of jerks has also expanded. If you hire a bargain, independent garbage/junk hauling service, you risk the chance that they are just dumping it anywhere except where they have to pay to dump it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 am 
We had folks dropping off broken appliances with a “free” sign at the school bus stop in front of our house. My suspicion was that it was the “independent contractors” working for big box stores which offered free instillation and hauling away of the old appliances. Few people replace appliances which are working fine and no one wants a broken one.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn