Forum Index > Trip Reports > I Told My Wife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am 
I have a game cam in Issaquah for a while it seemed like we were in the Aussie outback. In the past few years we have had an increase in bobcats and coyotes as well as more coons. There also have been a lot of barred owls at all hours including a family of five. The number of rabbits is way down also. I have also noted an increase of Douglas squirrels at the expense of Eastern Grays. All to the better in my opinion. I hope my removal of English Ivy from the property.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am 
The Teanaway wolves are an interesting case. We'd heard persistent rumors of wolves in there all through the 90s from at least once source that was extremely credible. My feeling was that the official F&W hand was finally forced on a situation that had existed for quite some time, and will most likely continue to burble along in spite of people's excitement over them in any given direction. In any case, there's a ton of game in there or else all the predators that are already there year after year couldn't survive. And next time you see those Teanaway range cows, imagine all the years they've been doing battle with every kind of hungry meat eater to get their calves grown... I don't recommend tangling with them!

~Mom jeans on wheels
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 6:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
My wife likes to leave carrots out in the back yard for the rabbits. We used to see them visit during day but not in a while. Seemed something larger was eating the carrots as an entire bag would be devoured by morning.
Well, now I know what happened to the wabbits! Just haven’t been seeing as many the last year or so. .....Then again, it could be the resident ‘otes, though I haven’t been hearing them as much lately. Did have an owl sighting coming down Cougar last evening. Nice.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm 
We are hearing owls hooting at night which I don't recall in the past. I wonder if that's why we're seeing less rabbits during the day to the extent the owls are reducing their numbers? Last night while I was soaking...

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
We are hearing owls hooting at night which I don't recall in the past. I wonder if that's why we're seeing less rabbits during the day to the extent the owls are reducing their numbers?
I have noticed more rabbits at my place over the last 1-2 years. Nothing scientific - could be I've just been more observant. Likewise, I have seen/heard more owls too. Canine and feline sightings/sign are about the same as other years. Add in an assortment of snakes, falcons, jays, ravens, hawks, eagles and turkey vultures - it's not a pleasant place to be rodent or lagomorph. BTW - is it illegal or considered bad practice to bait your game cam? I noticed that the bears seem to be attracted to BPG's scent. Maybe it's the huckleberry pie he just ate.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm 
I don't know about baiting regs. We'd throw the carrots out there whether or not we have a game camera - I've been told feeding the rabbits is non-negotiable. Happy wife, happy life.

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 5:12 pm 
Sorry Tom, I didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong by putting carrots out for the bunnies. It was something I've been curious about for a while - mainly bcs I was considering it for larger game.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Nov 27, 2019 6:26 am 
Mineral salt is commonly used or apples. There is a limit to the amount.

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 pm 
Thanks BPG and Sky Hiker. At certain times of the year (the past 2 weeks for example) I end up with a lot of dead mice, sometimes 6-8 a day/night. I have a few places on my property that I deposit them as hors d'oeuvres for the coyotes and cats. The mice are always gone the next day. I see lots of bear, canine, feline, elk and deer sign and I have a pretty good idea of their routes so I have thought too long about putting out a few cameras. It's good to know the "dos and don'ts" - thanks!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm 
Nice shots! How great to finally get some pictures! Cool!

When I grow up I wanna play.
RichP

RichP
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 8:26 pm 
Like it or not, they are back. Out skiing yesterday I came upon signs of a sizable pack in the snow. Kinda spooky but fascinating at the same time.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 8:48 pm 
Hat tip, sir! Whole fam passing my phone around tonight looking at those. smile.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 9:25 pm 
Those are some fat and furry wolves! That is so exciting that they finally walked in front of your game cam!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 9:55 pm 
Nice job finally getting footage of those wolves! Way to stick with it! Congrats! party.gif borank.gif

iron

iron
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 11:20 pm 
i think this is the best thread on NWH, all time. i had no idea this amount of activity occurred out there.