Forum Index > Trip Reports > 10 peaks in 4 days, Nov 22-25, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm 
November 22 Black Mountain - 2198' We couldn't leave Vegas until late morning, so I picked 3 small objectives to do on the way south. Using Dean Gaudet's advice, this peak is class 2. We avoided the standard scramble with loose rubble.
Spirit
Spirit
Salt and Pepper
Salt and Pepper
Mojave Lake
Mojave Lake
Copper
Copper
Peak 3288 A nondescript hill, yet pleasant. West ridge, class 2.
Peak 2201 Furthest south peak in the Dead Mountains. Trains galore! There's a passageway under the tracks. West gully and then upper west ridge. Mining prospects on the ridge. Steep and loose at the end, but good views.
ore
ore
Dead Mountains
Dead Mountains
11-23 Peak 3441 The first time I did the main summit of the Palen Range in 2017 with Greg. We decided we liked the range and have talked about going back for the obscure south peak. I spent hours studying satellite maps, plotting an old road on the west side of the range. This is not Subaru country. Jeeps or trucks only. But as usually happens, Bob Burd beat me to the chase and established a very workable route with a better approach road. Greg agreed to bring his sand rail, in case the sand was too much for his truck. As it turned out, we didn't need it afterall, but it's got some very bad spots.
We hiked up and over Peak 3441 on the way to the main objective. Southwest ridge.
good quality  :up:
good quality up.gif
South Palen
South Palen
Middle Palen, far away
Middle Palen, far away
Granite
Granite
South Palen
South Palen
South Palen
South Palen
coming down from 3441
coming down from 3441
South Palen - 3619' To get to the main peak we hiked down 500 feet into a saddle and back up 650 feet. For the final object we dropped off the east face, just like Bob.
summit
summit
Palen
Palen
Middle Palen
Middle Palen
west
west
dropping 2000 feet
dropping 2000 feet
South Palen
South Palen
Middle Palen - 3231' Greg was ready for a break and willing to wait for Frances and I. I chose the ridge east of where Bob ascended because it was more gentle. We traversed around several high points and then ended on the southwest ridge. It was a very long walk back to the car, with the last hour in the dark, crossing small washes and canyons.
traverse to summit ridge
traverse to summit ridge
Middle Palen
Middle Palen
southwest ridge
southwest ridge
Frances and the two peaks we came over behind her
Frances and the two peaks we came over behind her
Palen main peak
Palen main peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm 
11-24 Peak 4118 The peak southwest of Pilot. Bob Burd route. Thanks Bob! We replaced the register jar, which was rusted and leaking on the lid.
going to Pilot
going to Pilot
Pilot Mountain - 4216' Two bighorn rams spotted on ascent and a herd of 10 deer on descent.
Black
Black
Peak 4369
Peak 4369
Afterward we explored the petroglyphs of Corn Springs.
11-25 Queen Mountain - 5680' Several people have recommended this peak to me over the years. Trail to near the summit, but hard to follow in a couple spots. Two summits of nearly equal height. Don't trust the map. Do both. Frances and I agree that Queen is a very average summit in the desert, 5/10 stars.
Queen
Queen
east summit slabs
east summit slabs
west summit from east.
west summit from east.
San Gorgonio
San Gorgonio
San Jacinto
San Jacinto
Outlaw Benchmark - 3291' Frances was ready for a break and willing to wait for me while I got one more. Outlaw is in a remote part of Joshua Tree National Park. No roads and no trails. I walked several miles up a sandy wash. At first I couldn't tell which peak was the highest, but as I got closer, things on the map made more sense. I found a tortoise shell, full-size. The thing probably died of old age.
Outlaw
Outlaw
As I was ascending the north ridge, I noticed wind increasing and a wall of dust coming up behind me. No time for a break. I ascended as quickly as possible, hoping to get to the summit before it hit. I managed that. This dust storm was not anticipated, but fortunately I had an emergency dust mask to wear for the descent. To date, it's the worst dust storm I've been trapped in. I was leaning sideways into the wind for part of this descent.
Outlaw
Outlaw
here it comes
here it comes
Coxcombs, Spectre group
Coxcombs, Spectre group
Pinto Range
Pinto Range

Abert

Abert
PostWed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm 
I lost my gps coming down from Queen on the 20th. It was snowing lightly and I wasn't in the mood (or really dressed) to go back up and look for it. I'm so dependent on it now I'm amazed I made it through almost a week without one.