Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New drilling method opens vast oil fields in US
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm 
Sweet. We're #1! Thank you to all the workers, entepreneurs, capitalists, and net energy producers of the US.
Quote:
According to this year's BP Statistical Review of World Energy, in 2017 the U.S. ranked: #1 in total energy production #1 in oil production #1 in natural gas production #1 in nuclear power #1 in geothermal power #1 in biofuels #2 in wind power #2 in solar power #2 in coal production #4 in hydropower
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/08/08/yes-the-u-s-is-the-worlds-top-energy-producer/#cf233c11faba

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
as much as you can
That's the important part of the quote. Most people are kind of stuck in the larger choices that society makes, and I mean they don't have a real choice if they want to live a half-way normal life. Individual choices can play a real role in highlighting policies and possibilities, but in the end, public policy guides what is practical for most people.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
It's deeper than that. It's the outright refusal to accept and shoulder the dictates of one's own chosen ideals because of the pain and discomfort that would attend actually doing so, while one waits to use govt to make *other* people do so...in order to reduce the pain for the holder of the ideas.
rant.gif Here we go again, listening to a person who was born blind telling us what the world looks like. Eventually, we will board a bullet train that crosses the Cascades. We will get off at a station where hydrogen powered vehicles are located. We will swipe our credit card and enter the car we have reserved, and reach the trailhead. Everyone who professes environmentalism would use the system. You and Treeswarper would not, of course, you would still be in your F350s. The reason a system like this does not exist now is because of people like you. Which sure is handy when you want to whine about hypocrisy.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 am 
Disagreeing with you doesn't make one blind. The reason that system does not exist now is not because of someone else. It's because your actual actions, spending, and choices don't match your arguments. No one is preventing you from spending your own time, money, etc on creating that system and using it. Nobody. Not me, not Treeswarper, not The Orange One. I don't blame you for wanting a bullet train out of urban hell, but the costs alone would make even you choose the F350 instead. The continual attempt to evade the distinction between you backing the power to force other people to do what you want, and you doing it, doesn't eliminate the distinction...or your hypocrisy. You're the one whining about hypocrisy, because you're one of the folks being called on demonstrating it. Folks noticing it are merely making your claims of what you want and value appear as what they are....specious, and self serving without admitting they're self serving. It's fact that you don't live the cuts you demand because in the end..you don't want to take the hits to your standard of living. You are, in fact, putting your own wants ahead of those of the earth and climate. Deny it all you want...but you cannot show this is not the case. No matter how it looks in black and white here, it is the case. If you can't face this, too bad. It remains the case. And if speaking truth in print in public looks bad, then maybe don't do the bad thing, or change your ideas. I don't have this issue, because I argue *everyone* is self serving their own goals and ideals at all times.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am 
Remember, experts!

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm 
I didn't say national policy should be conducted on the basis of science which isn't.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 4:48 pm 
There is oil and then there is policy and the two often don't meet. lol Since we are independent in the production, so I hear from on high, why send troops to Saudi Arabia to protect their stash? In our independence, we could control local price no matter what world price became in case of Saudi-Iranian wrestling. Why link our wagon to a butcher? edit: I was nudged and yelled at ... "CAPITALISM"

don't believe everything you think
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 am 
I'd agree that there's no oil based reason to be in the gulf region any longer.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 1:54 pm 
Quote:
The U.S. solidified its status as an energy producer by posting the first full month as a net exporter of crude and petroleum products since government records began in 1949. The nation exported 89,000 barrels a day more than it imported in September, according to data from the Energy Information Administration Friday. While the U.S. has previously reported net exports on a weekly basis, today’s figures mark a key milestone that few would have predicted just a decade ago, before the onset of the shale boom.
Energy independence...exactly the goal we were told we needed!

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 4:01 pm 
Excellent! Now if we don't soil our home as we celebrate, we will truly be exceptional!

don't believe everything you think
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am 
Sculpin wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
It's deeper than that. It's the outright refusal to accept and shoulder the dictates of one's own chosen ideals because of the pain and discomfort that would attend actually doing so, while one waits to use govt to make *other* people do so...in order to reduce the pain for the holder of the ideas.
rant.gif Here we go again, listening to a person who was born blind telling us what the world looks like. Eventually, we will board a bullet train that crosses the Cascades. We will get off at a station where hydrogen powered vehicles are located. We will swipe our credit card and enter the car we have reserved, and reach the trailhead. Everyone who professes environmentalism would use the system. You and Treeswarper would not, of course, you would still be in your F350s. The reason a system like this does not exist now is because of people like you. Which sure is handy when you want to whine about hypocrisy.
Must've hit a nerve, eh? I just saw this. I do not own a F350. I do own a Tacoma which sits a lot in the driveway. I walk my talk. I actually MOVED to town so as to have a more convenient life, with less time spent driving an hour to get a part for something or fresher groceries. I gave up my nice house and five acres. You? I get around town mostly by foot or bicycle...one of those evil ebikes with pedal assist. You? I don't fly anywhere. In the summer I do hitch up my trailer and go glamping. That's my evil thing I do. Or, a friend and I actually carpool and go into the hills for walks and bike rides. My "Subaru"
My F350
moon.gif Nice try. Now tell me what you do to help the planet? Do you ride a bike to trailheads? Do you only use public transportation? Or is the word hypocrite appropriate?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am 
Sculpin wrote:
You and Treeswarper would not, of course, you would still be in your F350s.
Hmmm, you apparently don't realize that an "F-350" (and the like) is a tool? When I gave my Jeep to my son when his car quit, I could have bought a little Smart Car, a Subie, Prius or whatever. However none of these tools would have been suitable for my work, so a 2500 Dodge pickup was selected. It does the work it was designed (and purchased) for. So, there ya go...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 12:49 pm 
Pick-ups are tools, sure. But they are also purchased as status symbols. I remodeled my house, and I am currently renovating two sheds. I pull a little trailer with my Subaru that hauls 4x8 sheets of material. The trailer is light enough that I can pull it around the driveway by hand to hook it up, so not much of a hassle. Sometimes I put together an order and get it delivered for $50, but it is a lot more than you could get in your pick-up. If you are hauling every week, buying a pick-up is worth it. But the frequency of use does not have to drop very much before they become very questionable in terms of return on your investment. Renting a pick-up for occasional use is quite reasonable, but I have not had to do it even once. I see a lot of giant, tricked-out pick-ups that are polished to a mirror finish and don't have a scratch or speck of dirt on them. Maybe these guys are very careful when they haul? :lol!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 2:00 pm 
status symbols are as legitimate a use as any other value judgment is. That's the thing about individuals...they are the sole legitimate judges of their own needs and values.