Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
Previous :: Next Topic  
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 3:43 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Well, manga/graphic novel was not my thing.  Got about halfway thru it, realized I wasn't motivated to continue.  Now there really needs to be a sequel to Alita so I can find out what else happens to her, since I won't be reading the source material.  The movie was a bit of a loose adaptation anyway, I think they improved the story/characters significantly.  Anyway...

Back to The Expanse series, now on book 6 "Babylon's Ashes."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 pm 
1177 B.C.:  The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline, Princeton University Press, 2014.  The author is Professor of Classics and Anthropology of the Capitol Archaeological Institute at George Washington University.  This is a rather scholarly, but accessible account of the ending of various civilizations of the Late Bronze Age in the eastern Mediterranean including Greece, Crete, Cyprus, Anatolia, the Levant, and Egypt.  Quick review here at Wikipedia. Illustrated with pictures and maps.  Available at the Seattle Public Library.  ~z
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 4:04 pm 
For Black Friday you can get a 6 mo. Kindle Unlimited subscription for $29.95 do not need to be Prime customer.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Back to The Expanse series, now on book 6 "Babylon's Ashes."

Ha ha.  This book was published in 2016.  I just read a passage with a list of ship names, one of them is the Mark Watney.  That was Matt Damon's character in "The  Martian," adapted from a novel written in 2011.  I've noticed a few other times sci fi writers making nods to their fellows.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob

WTA proponent.....
PostThu Nov 21, 2019 9:05 am 
"Endeavour: the Ship that changed the World" by Patrick Moore....wow! up.gif

--------------
"Altitude is its own reward"
John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
gb

gb

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:54 am 
Ellen Meloy, Eating Stone. I had earlier read another of her books as recommended in High Country News. Eating Stone follows her pursuit and study of Desert Bighorn Sheep in the SW. High Country news described her writing style as similar to that of Edward Abbey and her books, including this one, were on finalist lists for several national awards.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
Saxons, Vikings, and Celts:  The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland by Bryan Sykes, W.H.Norton and Co., 2006. Fascinating at times.   Here's blurb from the book jacket:  Saxons, Vikings, and Celts is the first scientific, DNA-based history of the people and tribes of the British Isles.  Bryan Sykes, a skilled and accomplished storyteller, gives absorbing accounts of the invasions of the Isles, from the Romans, the Celts, and the Saxons, to the Vikings, the Normans, and the Angles.  ...
Another short review here at the Book DepositoryOne of the world's leading geneticists, Bryan Sykes has helped thousands find their ancestry in the British Isles. Saxons, Vikings, and Celts, which resulted from a systematic ten-year DNA survey of more than 10,000 volunteers, traces the true genetic makeup of the British Isles and its descendants, taking readers from the Pontnewydd cave in North Wales to the resting place of the Red Lady of Paviland and the tomb of King Arthur. This illuminating guide provides a much-needed introduction to the genetic history of the people of the British Isles and their descendants throughout the world.

Available at the Seattle Public Library.  ~z
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
  Happy Birthday Otter, CampChamp, Wolfman!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: