Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm 
Hoverboards. Like the one Marty McFly had. Visualize the controversy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm 
A vehicle with a motor that provides propulsion or assistance in propulsion is a motorized vehicle. Period. End of subject. Such vehicles are not non motorized bicycles and should be their own user group, evaluated for access independently from human powered bicycles. Period. End of subject.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm 
well... if that works for you, great. apparently the National Park Service and National Forest Service saw fit to use their own definitions for the purposes of establishing policy. you could always try contacting them regarding your issue.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 6:20 pm 
great. examine them as a separate user group, conclude that e-bikes have no more empirical impacts than regular bikes since the motors do not have the characteristics (openly) objected to for internal combustion motors....and add them to anywhere regular bikes are allowed. The feeling that someone else is cheating or not working hard enough is not a good reason to exclude other users with the same measurable impacts.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 pm 
Washington State agrees with me as does Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance. The forest service also doesnt allow them as the trump order doesnt apply.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 am 
Take Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance's perspective on e-bkes with a grain of salt. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/ebikeaccess
Quote:
Assessing risks to MTB trail funding. We’re working with our grant agencies to determine whether e-MTB access to trails could potentially leave Evergreen ineligible for non-motorized trail grants. If the grant agencies don’t view e-MTBs as “non-motorized,” Evergreen’s future grant opportunities could be greatly limited, as bike trails open to e-MTBs would no longer qualify for grants. We're carefully assessing any potential risk to that funding as it remains our biggest income source for trail building and maintenance.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:27 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Washington State agrees with me as does Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance. The forest service also doesnt allow them as the trump order doesnt apply.
So you have other folks who agree with you on exclusions, while you can't really explain with any empirical reasons why you are harmed. So what? Now we're down to appeals to authority.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:31 am 
Tom wrote:
Take Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance's perspective on e-bkes with a grain of salt. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/ebikeaccess
Quote:
Assessing risks to MTB trail funding. We’re working with our grant agencies to determine whether e-MTB access to trails could potentially leave Evergreen ineligible for non-motorized trail grants. If the grant agencies don’t view e-MTBs as “non-motorized,” Evergreen’s future grant opportunities could be greatly limited, as bike trails open to e-MTBs would no longer qualify for grants. We're carefully assessing any potential risk to that funding as it remains our biggest income source for trail building and maintenance.
You should read/post the whole page rather than cherry pick. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/ebikeaccess

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:33 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
So you have other folks who agree with you on exclusions, while you can't really explain with any empirical reasons why you are harmed. So what? Now we're down to appeals to authority.
I havent said anything about where anyone should be excluded from. I said a bike with a motor is different from a bike without a motor and should be evaluated for access as such.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I said a bike with a motor is different from a bike without a motor and should be evaluated for access as such.
It appears the the district ranger for the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest agrees with you. Perusing various entries in the forests trail catalog I'm seeing items like this:
USFS wrote:
No motorcycles on this trail. E-Bikes (with full electric motor power or pedal assist) are not allowed.
and
USFS wrote:
Restrictions: Motorized use prohibited
Numerous trails in the Cle Elum ranger district are open to MTB, eBike and ORV usage. I haven't found a trail in the Cle Elum RD that is open to MTBs and eBikes, but not ORVs. Perhaps there are some.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:56 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I havent said anything about where anyone should be excluded from. I said a bike with a motor is different from a bike without a motor and should be evaluated for access as such.
Let's see if we can address that first issue, you can give us a clear statement for other folks to judge. In your opinion, should e bikes be excluded from any bike trails? If so, what bike trails should ebikes be excluded from?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 am 
An example of common sense. A speed limit has been set, which would apply to both ebikes and acoustic bikes. I'm not sure why class 3 bikes are not acceptable. https://www.montereyherald.com/2019/12/02/pacific-grove-moves-to-regulate-e-bikes/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=fb-montereyherald&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3MjUp8Dxz1DUs44JgKL5G2_kxzi7qRWJDJgD4tZdKAqiigh3l22QhhuhU

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
It appears the the district ranger for the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest agrees with you. Perusing various entries in the forests trail catalog I'm seeing items like this:
Which district?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am 
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am 
JVesquire wrote:
Lawsuit filed
This is one of the main reason mountain bikers do not want ebikes lumped with us. It's more leverage to take away hard won access.