Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > criminal justice reform for homeless
Previous :: Next Topic  
catsp

catsp

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:48 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski wrote:
So.... don't think for a minute that YOU are not paying for what's being stolen.

That's presuming I'm not one of the ones simply stealing of course.

To be clear, I have no argument with the proposition that those are real costs and that they are borne by the system. Whether they are borne by the ultimate consumer (as opposed to someone else in the chain, or outside it, for example, by shareholders) is maybe not always so clear cut. For example, if Apple's shrink dropped to zero from whatever it is, do you think the price of any Apple product would decrease? I'd suggest probably not.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 4:17 pm 
I prefer to use the self checkout instead of standing in a really long line because the store is too cheap to hire more checkout people.   There is seldom a line in the one store that has it because most people are standing in line.   The reason might be that one can't use food stamp cards in the self checkout. 

And I don't cheat.  I do have problems sometimes with watermelons and took home an item that would have been taken out of the anti shoplifting box at a normal checkout with the special tool.  I had to take a hacksaw and prybar to it. 

Safeway here is a long line store.  Self checkout is at Home Depot and the Walmarche.  I got pretty disgusted at the wait time in a Wenatchee fabric store.  I finally put down the cut fabric and other items and left.  I'd stood in the checkout line for ten minutes and it had not moved.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:05 pm 
A couple hours ago as I paid for the ingredients for dinner up at Safeway, I asked the checker (who is one of the mid-level managers at this location) about the self check-out lanes and she concurred with the comments in The Atlantic article cited above by member catsp.
She said that all too common are the instances where a customer switches price labels, or tries to run a $10.00 off coupon through twice, or tries to slip a 14-pound standing rib roast through as a $1.99 loaf of bread. To quote her verbatim: "I've seen it all."

treeswarper:
If you go over to Jo-Ann fabrics here (4104 Tacoma Mall Blvd, Tacoma, WA 98409) be prepared to wait at least 45 minutes in line for cut fabric, and then another 15-30 minutes waiting in line to check out.
I've found that the large parking lot outside their front door is a great place for taking naps in the front seat of my truck while waiting for somebody to pick up odds and ends for tutus. wink.gif

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm 
Ski, it was Jo Ann Fabrics but in E. Wenatchee.  The cutting was fast, but the checkout was stalled forever!   I don't go there anymore.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > criminal justice reform for homeless
  Happy Birthday Otter, CampChamp, Wolfman!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: