mike
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am 
Well, although the timber harvesting activity on this side of the border was curtailed by the NWFP and appeal after appeal after appeal by various "environmental" groups, the demand for structural lumber still existed, and British Columbia has been meeting that demand (subsidized by the Canadian government) for some time now. If, instead, we continued to extract a renewable resource from public lands to help fill the demand, we would have not have been complicit in creating the demand from outside our own borders. The argument about the introduction of sediment into the river corridor affecting anadromous salmonids is nonsense; there are several dams downstream that are impounding all that sediment. (Of course, there's always the handy "Bull Trout" argument that can be pulled out; whether or not they actually exist doesn't matter - simply having "suitable habitat" is enough to cause a snag. (i.e., bridge over Phelan Creek on FS road 2180-010.)) Not content with virtually halting timber harvest activity here, we now have people going after foreign governments. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:05 pm 
Interventions causing distortions calling for more interventions. As you pointed out it would have been less trouble to merely log here using proper practices.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:55 am 
Here's an updated article on this project in the Times: Canadian company applies for permit for exploratory mining in headwaters of Skagit River
Quote:
The company, Imperial Metals, has applied to drill for mineral deposits for as many as five years, according to a document describing the project, released Wednesday. Imperial Metals would extend a recently cut logging road, set up trenches and build settling ponds for the exploratory drilling work in an area believed to have gold and copper. The company is well known in Canada because of an environmental disaster at its Mount Polley mine, when a dam there failed and allowed billions of gallons of gold- and copper-mining waste to flood into local waterways.
The project is at 49.1750000, -121.0250000

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 12, 2019 3:08 pm 
Tribes weighed in on this proposal in an op-ed in today's Seattle Times: Tribes and First Nations say no to gold mining in Skagit River headwaters

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 22, 2019 2:56 pm 
The latest outcry: Mining proposal for Skagit River headwaters in B.C. sparks outcry from congressional Dems, Gov. Inslee
Quote:
Nine members of Washington state’s congressional delegation, all Democrats, called Wednesday for the U.S. Department of State to intervene in a simmering dispute with Canada over a company’s proposal for exploratory mining in the headwaters of the Skagit River.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 am 
^ looks like the Seattle Times doesn't want people to read their articles online without first "signing in". I don't "sign in". completely off-topic here where this particular project is concerned, but relevant to mining: A couple weeks ago Tacoma Public Works Department sent a crew out here to rip up and resurface three blocks of road near me. I walked down and spoke with the City's inspector at length about the project, and learned, among other things, that because we're in the "red zone" here - that geographic area that was showered with arsenic and other nasties from the long-abandoned Asarco smelter - that the underlayment and soil under the existing roadway might be contaminated. It should be noted that there were no core samples taken for analysis prior to this project. So because the underlayment and soil under the existing road surface might be contaminated, they were unable to re-use any of that material - which otherwise would have been either re-used on site or (in this particular instance) recycled and used on some other project - it had to all be hauled off to a disposal facility 32 miles away. (read: "landfill" - where it will sit for all eternity.) It took the contractor's 10 large diesel-powered dump trucks two full days to haul off the underlayment and soil under 3 blocks of roadway - two hours round trip for each truckload. All on your dime. Next time somebody tries to tell you that mining operators "clean up their mess" when they're done, you may want to check out their collective track records.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 am 
British Columbia says it will no longer log in Skagit headwaters key to Puget Sound
Quote:
After the outcry, B.C. officials in the summer put future logging plans on hold. Now, they’ve committed to protect the area, which is surrounded by provincial parks, from logging, at least. ... The decision by the B.C. government raises the negotiating stakes with Imperial Metals, a Canadian mining company that has rights in the area and has applied to perform exploratory drilling there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm 
well... at least that's a start in the right direction. they still haven't put the kibosh on the mining interests though.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm 
For what it is worth going to the original subject of this thread, when we were at Cape Disappointment and they are rebuilding the North Jetty I saw rocks being delivered that looked like serpentine.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
For what it is worth going to the original subject of this thread, when we were at Cape Disappointment and they are rebuilding the North Jetty I saw rocks being delivered that looked like serpentine.
Perhaps you're thinking of the thread on the quarry near Marblemount

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm 
quoting 'ski': you think cleaning up just one street was wrong? here the feds have been cleaning out the clark fork river for years because of heavy metal/chemical contamination from the copper smelting,, and they aint done yet.. also was a heavily contaminated area from a phosphate plant that produced such high concentrations of flourine that the cattle eating the grasses teeth rotted out.....

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:41 pm 
Sorry... I hadn't meant to suggest that I thought it was "wrong". I was merely pointing out that it is ridiculously expensive, and the costs are being borne by the US taxpayers, just as is the clean up of the Clark Fork River. I do not believe it is fair or reasonable to allow multi-national mining companies to simply vanish into the night (or be sold off to business interests that are on foreign soil, as was the case with Asarco), and then stick the US taxpayer with the costs of cleaning up the mess left behind. It's all fine and well that the Guggenheim family provided the funding for a state-of-the-art museum in Manhattan, as well as all of their other philanthropic works, but all of that combined is a pittance when compared to the total clean-up costs of the mess they left behind here.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am 
It is expensive and asarco/anaconda mining have been providing some funding to aid in the cleanup...Don't know exactly how much without major research on the net.. taking up the street was minor compared to what they have had to do here. they removed a dam that had collected huge amounts of material behind it. They have built a huge holding ponding here and all the material they are removing from the river and surrounding areas is being put there .... put it all in one big pile

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:18 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
"...taking up the street was minor..."
The three blocks of North 49th Street that I cited above was just one of innumerable "minor" projects that have been done (or are in the planning stages) here in the north end. That is just one small part of the larger project, which encompasses the entire north end of the city as well as other areas. ( see graphic in article HERE ) It is my no definition "minor".