Forum Index > Trail Talk > Time for a permit system in areas of the Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
nickmtn wrote:
Can someone explain to me the rush to add a bureaucracy between us and some of the last truly free places on earth?
Because some people keep trashing them. I think we would all prefer to self police, and the overwhelming majority of us are capable and responsible enough. So when the lowest common denominator keeps screwing things up for everyone else, do you just kick them out or (since we're a society and don't kick anyone out) just penalize everyone with the same permit system?
One kid in gym class keeps screwing off, the whole class is punished and forced to do push ups. In THAT system, it is hoped that peer pressure will get the screw off to toe the line. Peer pressure doesn't quite come into play once permits are mandatory.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 pm 
But kids in school actually are peers. People who go hiking are strangers. Often the damage is done when nobody else is around.

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Rather than limit access to public lands, we should pass laws to open access without permits to all private land not within 100 feet of a dwelling. Same laws would require responsible use by visitors.
Probably one of the most horrifying ideas I've read here.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 am 
Brian R wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Rather than limit access to public lands, we should pass laws to open access without permits to all private land not within 100 feet of a dwelling. Same laws would require responsible use by visitors.
Probably one of the most horrifying ideas I've read here.
Kinda sorta because private land has been closed off due to garbage being dumped and vandalism. We don't behave well like the Brits. I was able to hike about on a tree farm near my Randle house, but gates were kept locked. Access was stopped during high fire danger. That was Port Blakely land.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 am 
Private land is becoming "pay to play" here on the west side. And it gets more confusing every day with Hancock selling off their White River holdings to the Mucklshoots--but still managing it at the Hancock office even as the tribe has their own enforcement officers and has killed off virtually all the wildlife, hunting year-round and from the back of pickup trucks. Do I like it? No. But hey, it's private land and if I owned a few dozen acres or more it would be my decision whether or not to allow visitors. Plain and simple. Life, liberty, property. Wildlife is another story as it belongs to all of us.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 am 
No more permits, I literally have to put reminders in my calendar to apply for too much, permits lotteries for hiking, hunting. It is out of hand, just let me go walk in the woods for goodness sake. Also people are lazy, I hunt ( I know I'm a monster) in an area that I can either hike to 3 miles 1500-2000 feet, or drive bad fs roads about 3 hrs one way. I get up there and can always count on 3-4 people to make the long drive. If you add gates it will cut costs and reduce impact, I could be ok with that. Just have to make sure people don't drive around the gates.
You can see the gate on the right, this road was closed years ago by DNR and almost recovered. Modern firearm season someone made a way around it this year. Now the entire road has to start all over again on recovering.
This is how the road looks now. So while I do agree with the idea of gates please do them right.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.