Forum Index > Photography Talk > Mirrorless Camera Decision
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ericande

ericande
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 pm 
I just took my new Sony NEX 3n to the Enchantments on Friday and it was great. I think I'm sold on the NEX system. My next camera will be the NEX 6 unless the replacement for the 7 comes before I leave. I'll put up a TR with pics from it tomorrow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 pm 
I have the olympus pen e pl5, and I like it quite a bit. It does NOT have a view finder, and it only annoys me when I am trying to shoot action shots. I haven't had an issue with bright sunlight very often, I am not sure why.. maybe my body shades it? The big deciding factor for me was the lens availability in the m4/3rds, and comfort of operations... the photo quality between the nex and pl5 (which has the same sensor as the OMD) is really comparable. I agree that the tilting LCD screen is awesome... its great when you are trying to shoot from lower angles, and also if you are taking pictures of people and you want them to act natural and not pose for the camera as you can look like you are just fiddling with it but actually be taking pictures! The manual modes are super easy, you just switch the dial to manual and for aperture and shutter speed its just up or down and left or right. Changing ISO is a few more buttons, but still easy. The pl5 is not sealed like the OMD, but I have exposed mine to a bit of moisture with no consequences so far... if the viewfinder is a deal breaker, get the OMD because the add on one is spendy enough to make it silly not to just buy the OMD.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am 
This will be announced today: Sony goes full-frame mirrorless Expect to pay about 3k for the body.

kite

kite
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 am 
I was at Glazers on Sunday looking at some of the cameras and the sales person mentioned Sonys new full frame sensor, think I might wait a bit. I really like the Sony Cyber-shot RX1, going to see if I can rent one for a weekend

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 1:57 pm 
just keep in mind, the bigger the sensor, the much bigger the lens has to be to supply the bigger patch of light. This may or may not be an issue for someone, but drove me into m4//3. Flip out lcd and evf are must haves for me, which narrowed it down to panasonic when i bought in. Image quality is good, especially with a good prime, but the gh1 white balance issues is getting really irritating and is hard to correct in post. Olympus is supposed to have better out of camera color. And in body anti shake is a plus that even panny is starting to admit to in their new offerings. its all tradeoffs though...

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
boot up wrote:
just keep in mind, the bigger the sensor, the much bigger the...
...size of the wallet

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 pm 
mike wrote:
boot up wrote:
just keep in mind, the bigger the sensor, the much bigger the...
...size of the wallet
I thought the wallet just got lighter to make up for the weight of the lens? wink.gif

friluftsliv
ericande

ericande
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm 
Before I bought the NEX I played around with the 4/3 systems and IMO, they are lacking far behind the Sony or Fuji systems. If good light and for small prints you wont see a difference but I like to make large prints and in low light the Sony and Fuji sensors were far better. I prefer the lens options of the Fuji system but the cameras on the Sony system.

ericande

ericande
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm 
... and then after quite a bit of time at Glazer's playing with the NEX and Fuji systems plus some time at home pouring over shots I took with several cameras I purchased a Fuji XE1 with the 18-55, and 18, 27, 35 and 60mm primes. I'll be ordering either the 14mm or 10-24 when it comes out and the 55-200. I'll be selling my D700 and all other DSLR gear as well as my NEX 3n. I spent hours researching this and below is the list of reasonings I made for myself in case anyone is still shopping around. -Fuji has the best IQ period IMO amongst all the mirrorless systems and it's low-light ability is just behind the D600/800 and better than my d700. -The lenses for Fuji are much better than any other mirrorless system. -The NEX is slightly smaller but not a big difference. -The NEX-6 focuses noticeably faster (I think the next Fuji body will have hybrid contrast/phase detect and match this speed, I'll then upgrade.) -The NEX has apps, the intervalvometer is the most useful for me, a $27 external timer will do the same thing on the Fuji. -The Fuji has fewer menu options but with more external controls it's as easy to change the settings I care about like on my SLR, it took longer on the NEX. In the end I decided the IQ was the most important part to me. Trying out the various lenses it was clear the Fuji was better in that area. The 18-55 zoom was actually better than several of the Sony primes. Now I'm just hoping the next gen Fuji bodies come out in the next 4-5 months.

kite

kite
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
ericande, when you get a chance I would love to see some images.

ericande

ericande
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 pm 
There's a link earlier in this thread to my Olympus TR which was all shot with a rented XE1 and the 18-55. That trip was focused more on pretending I was hurting after hiking 18 miles the first day with a pack than photography but it should give you an idea. Here's a link to the smugmug, pics will prob look better on there: http://ericpaulphotos.smugmug.com/Climbs-Hikes/2013-7-5-to-7-7-Mt-Olympus/Eric Once I get the camera and all the primes I intend to go have some fun and I'll post up some pics.

kite

kite
PostWed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 am 
Sony has a new full frame sensor due out in December Sony ILCE7R/B 36.3 MP a7R Full-Frame Interchangeable Digital Lens Camera - Body Only http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/16/first-impressions-review-of-the-full-frame-sony-a7-and-a7r

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm 
I went to Glazers and played around with the new Sony a7. This thing is impressively small and light for a full-frame camera! The 24-70mm kit lens brings it back up to about the same size as an APS-C system but still far smaller than a Canon or Nikon full frame. Seemed pretty fast and responsive too. I don't like the placement of the shutter release, though I'm sure I'd get used to it. Also neat that it can accept the NEX system E-mount lenses. This results in a cropped image, kind of defeating the purpose of having a full frame camera, but nice to know that the E-mount lenses I already own could work. I'm happy with my NEX6, not looking to upgrade, but maybe when the second generation of this camera comes out I'll consider it.

iron

iron
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 pm 
old thread, i know. anyone end up with the sony a7? feedback?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 pm 
Really hard to go wrong with any of the mid to upper tier cameras these days. Image quality is going to be exceptional across the board - though Sony does consistently seem to take the top spot in the pixel peeper tests, usually by a hair over the Nikons with the Canons slightly behind. I know a lot of landscape oriented pros and semi-pros who have switched to Sony over Nikon and Canon in the last 5-6 or so years, and very few seem to regret the decision. Go play with one at Glazers or Kenmore Camera, mess around with the menus, get an idea of the ergonomics, the weight with the lenses you'd use with it, etc. How it feels to actually use it is probably going to be more important than its capabilities, because from a practical standpoint there's very little separating the mirrorless offerings from Canon / Nikon / Sony / Fuji / whoever else, other than the lens selection.