Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cosmic Crisp Apples
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 6:59 am 
I bought one. It had a pleasant taste and was crisp and juicy. I couldn't eat the whole thing and for some reason didn't throw the slices away. This morning, the leftovers are just faintly brown and still good to eat. It might be a good variety after all.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm 
I just got some too. They're amazing! Probably have aardvark genes spliced in or something, but I don't care, they're super sweet and crisp.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:54 pm 
I wonder if they make good pies? They are kind of too spendy right now to try that so I'll stick to using Goldens.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:58 pm 
Better than red delicious. There値l still be a place for fall apples, that might not store as well even in low O2 warehouses. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 08, 2019 8:53 am 
Yup. I make and can applesauce using Goldens too. We had a small orchard of Goldens for a while so they were what we used for everything. We also had a mystery apple tree that nobody could identify. It had what we called, summer apples. They were small, but OK to eat.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 9:42 am 
So, what was the price per pound they were asking for these apples?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm 
I wanted to know what all the hype was about, everyone is talking about these, so I bought a couple last week. First, they're premium priced at $2.99 lb., they ain't givin' them away. I'm not a honeycrisp fan, I prefer a sweeter apple. Envy is still my reference apple, and I do enjoy a nice Jonagold. The Cosmic Crisps I got were juicy, but too tart. Not as tart as a Granny Smith, but I do think they would make a nice pie apple.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 pm 
Price varies by location. Mostly $1.99 or so around Wenatchee. $3.49 at Safeway. Haven't tried one yet.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:30 pm 
We found some at Super 1 in Eburg this weekend. So far we're impressed!

~Mom jeans on wheels
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am 
Does anyone else feel ripped off as a Washingtonian by being asked to pay such exorbitant prices for apples, regardless of the variety?? Same for cherries...is it because of big farming and the fact it is more profitable for them to make big deals and export our crops?

neek

neek
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 am 
Schenk wrote:
Does anyone else feel ripped off as a Washingtonian by being asked to pay such exorbitant prices for apples, regardless of the variety?? Same for cherries...is it because of big farming and the fact it is more profitable for them to make big deals and export our crops?
I feel ripped off going to a restaurant (profit margins are small, but you're paying for a ton of service you don't need) or buying processed food, but never for produce from a grocery store or farmers market. It doesn't cost that much to ship food, especially apples which have a long shelf life. When robots start picking our fruit, prices may drop further. Compared to other countries and previous times, we spend a tiny amount of our incomes on food.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm 
neek wrote:
Compared to other countries and previous times, we spend a tiny amount of our incomes on food.
Yes, we are fortunate in that respect!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 pm 
Cherries? I buy them at a fruitstand a half a mile away and they are not expensive and are very fresh. During the season, I saddle up my bike and go about every other day for fresh cherries. Yum. That was on my reasons to move back list. I think a grower told me he pays 40 cents a pound to the pickers. (When I picked for a living, it was 8 cents a pound) then you've got the farming expenses--fuel, sprays and fertilizers, and now many cherry orchards are under a fabric cover. That cannot be cheap. Apples? There are no packing houses up here anymore that I know of. That's where you go to get apples for less. We can get boxes for less at a packing house in Chelan. Maybe Brewster or during harvest at a fruit stand. Fruit is high priced at the local farmers market. I like just a few for eating so pay the high prices at the grocery. I do buy a box full at Chelan for making batches of apple sauce. It sounds like a box of Cosmic Crisps might store well outside of the CA room. The Cosmic Crisp may be expensive for some time. They've got a patent on it and have been enforcing that aspect of the growth. You can't just get a tree anywhere and grafting is probably illegal.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 1:39 pm 
Schenk wrote:
"...is it because of big farming and the fact it is more profitable for them to make big deals and export our crops?"
To some limited degree that might be true: the largest and choicest specimens are packed for export to Japan or Saudi Arabia (or elsewhere), where people pay the same price per pound for a grapefruit-sized red delicious as we would here for filet mignon. As treeswarper notes, however, there's a considerable investment made and significant on-going overhead costs.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
uww

uww
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 pm 
Whenever I grocery shop on vacation it seems like you could do pretty well importing Washington fruit back into Washington.