Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
There's not much more nauseating than enduring endless lectures from folks bent on controlling you over behavior they won't even control in themselves. If it's so damn important, then you first and prove it. The continual, never ending evasion of this very basic principle says all that needs to be said. And the higher up the social strata you go, the worse the difference between claims and choices. The globe trotting activists at the COP's, the rich folks lecturing about the dangers and using private jets.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
There's not much more nauseating than enduring endless lectures from folks bent on controlling you over behavior they won't even control in themselves. If it's so damn important, then you first and prove it. The continual, never ending evasion of this very basic principle says all that needs to be said. And the higher up the social strata you go, the worse the difference between claims and choices. The globe trotting activists at the COP's, the rich folks lecturing about the dangers and using private jets.
A bit overly sensitive eh? BTW -- You never provided details about how your voluntary idea for eliminating lead emissions or compensating people harmed by those emissions would work.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:58 pm 
I don't think it's overly sensitive to reject and resist controlling innocent people. Straight talk isn't sensitivity, it's straight talk. Particularly when the proponents of same won't even choose to live their ideals because hard, expensive, difficult, and no fun. The Amish don't try to make other people live their hard ideals...they choose it and then live it, including all the drawbacks. And never attempt to claim others should be forced to. They have more respect for other people's rights than climate warriors, in spite of their choice of a harder life. ************* Oh, the lead, forgot about that. So... Well assuming the case of empirical/objective demonstration of the violation of rights, you then have a basis for legislation or legal action against producers/consumers violating those rights. This isn't so much 'voluntary' as a recognition of the correct, and limited role of the State as defending folks negative rights.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Oh, the lead. Well assuming the case of empirical/objective demonstration of the violation of rights, you then have a basis for legislation or legal action against producers/consumers violating those rights. This isn't so much 'voluntary' as a recognition of the correct, and limited role of the State as defending folks negative rights.
So your theory that voluntary measures can protect the environment from something know to be harmful is bunk.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:06 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
So your theory that voluntary measures can protect the environment from something know to be harmful is bunk.
Not at all. After all, if warmists decided to not be hypocrites, and had the numbers they claim to have, they'd make the changes necessary in their lives and no one could stop them. The reason it won't work isn't because it can't work, it's because it's proponents provably put their own comfort, lifestyle, finances, and risk above their concern for the earth. When all is said and done, actions show the real value judgments being made. Remember, I did not claim *all* voluntary measures would work on all issues. And of course the issue on this topic is the lack of any valid science backing the unique claims. It is not like the lead issue. You cannot objectively find anyone violating anyone else's rights because the 'science', isn't.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm 
You still haven't explained how voluntary measures could work for something known to cause harm. You just keep whining that you don't want to be forced to do anything different.

neek

neek
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:17 pm 
So many fun distractions, it's hard to keep focus. No not everyone in the world wants an F150, as other developed countries demonstrate. Yes arguing can be fun and instructive, I'm glad you appreciate that. Yes there are more immediate concerns than addressing GW, but that assessment changes the further down the road you look. Yes there's a correlation between personal wealth and carbon footprint; it doesn't mean rich people can't care, and the curve can be shaped through policy. But I don't see the point in discussing potential solutions with someone who thinks the whole thing is manufactured. Cycling back to old posts would be boring, and I'm obviously not going to produce anything in the way of new evidence that proves that despite uncertainty around the rate of sea level rise, etc., there is indeed a scientific consensus around some core principles. So that leaves me at a loss as to how to proceed, unless someone more creative decides to step in and bring this trainwreck of a conversation around in a more positive direction.

neek

neek
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The reason it won't work isn't because it can't work, it's because it's proponents provably put their own comfort, lifestyle, finances, and risk above their concern for the earth.
How do you figure? Are you saying take 2 people who are identical in all respects (including economic position) except one is a "warmist" and the other isn't, and the "warmist" will have equal or greater greenhouse impact? This concept keeps coming up here, yet I read all the time about the changes climate scientists are making in their own personal lives, and could go on and on about things people I know are doing. I do agree they're not doing nearly enough (I bought a Prius, I'm saving the planet!) but question how this was assessed.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:38 pm 
Randy Hiker wrote:
BTW -- You never provided details about how your voluntary idea for eliminating lead emissions or compensating people harmed by those emissions would work.
If I'm understanding this correctly, we're supposed to do like the Amish. I guess I should have gotten a horse instead of buying leaded gasoline. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm 
Ski wrote:
well... she's "person of the year". you're not.
Wrong (2006)

gb

gb
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:34 pm 
Lancet Climate Change and Health Effects Report 2019. Lancet is produced in concert with 35 Research Contributors (like Universities). Lancet Climate Change and Helathcare Effects Report 2019 The biggies are an increase in deaths, increase in illness factors, decreases in crop yields with warming, and health effects from heatwaves, fire smoke and other factors.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm 
Well you guys can all untie your panties Greta says she’s going to see a movie with a friend.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
catsp

catsp
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:51 pm 
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm 
A little no-account teen manages to trigger Trump, Bolsonaro and a pack of keyboard warriors. I say, you go girl!! lol.gif

don't believe everything you think
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 pm 
What do you all think about China?