Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 8:40 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
What do you all think about China?
Mine's all packed away in boxes in a closet. I use the Italian-made enameled steel plates and bowls that my mom ordered from I. Magnin in 1961. I have a bad habit of dropping plates and bowls and cups when washing dishes, so China doesn't work for me.
salmon chanterelle mushroom & cheese omelette 093019
salmon chanterelle mushroom & cheese omelette 093019
(* and yes, that is wild Queets River salmon in that omelette, with a little drizzle of Sriracha on top *) (* no, I'm not telling you where I found the chanterelles, but it wasn't too far away from where I got the fish *) (* what do people in China call their good plates? *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:24 pm 
RayD wrote:
A little no-account teen manages to trigger Trump, Bolsonaro and a pack of keyboard warriors. I say, you go girl!! lol.gif
TDS alert! Who triggered who?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:50 pm 
Brian R wrote:
RayD wrote:
A little no-account teen manages to trigger Trump, Bolsonaro and a pack of keyboard warriors. I say, you go girl!! lol.gif
It seems your understanding of the meaning of TDS is 180 degrees out of phase.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 pm 
Brian R wrote:
RayD wrote:
Pretty obvious and you named it. Thunberg Derangement Syndrome as practiced by the above named.

don't believe everything you think
neek

neek
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:15 am 
Oh hey look there's now a separate Greta thread for those who are still infatuated with her.
Bernardo wrote:
What do you all think about China?
Can't say, never been there. It's hard to view the lifting of half a billion people out of extreme poverty over the past several decades a bad thing. Our per capita CO2 emissions are still 2.3 as high so I guess we must be 2.3x happier, more productive, all measures of goodness? I'm curious to see what they do with nuclear power over the next few decades. I think it's good to have a little competition and just like the space race was so important I wish we'd have some sort of green race that got people equally excited. (Sorry, even though the term "green" has been abused and is now simply a trigger for some, the idea behind it is no less valid and I'll continue using it.)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:18 am 
RayD wrote:
Brian R wrote:
RayD wrote:
Pretty obvious and you named it. Thunberg Derangement Syndrome as practiced by the above named.
dizzy.gif rotf.gif That's a hilarious redefinition of TDS. The act of redefinition perfectly fits the original definition.
Urban Dictionary wrote:
Trump Derangement Syndrome, is the unwavering adoration and devotion to a political leader, beginning with Donald Trump the namesake of the disorder

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
You still haven't explained how voluntary measures could work for something known to cause harm. You just keep whining that you don't want to be forced to do anything different.
Other than just doing so over the last few pages. Not liking arguments while unable to show they are wrong doesn't count. Remember, 'voluntary' has *never* meant law against harming rights does not apply. It simply means you not using law to take the rights of innocent people. At least we have you down clearly on the use of force, something often evaded or put in scare quotes. We have the same issue here as we see with AGW...if you won't accept falsification, logical process cannot apply.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:11 am 
neek wrote:
So many fun distractions, it's hard to keep focus. No not everyone in the world wants an F150, as other developed countries demonstrate. Yes arguing can be fun and instructive, I'm glad you appreciate that. Yes there are more immediate concerns than addressing GW, but that assessment changes the further down the road you look. Yes there's a correlation between personal wealth and carbon footprint; it doesn't mean rich people can't care, and the curve can be shaped through policy. But I don't see the point in discussing potential solutions with someone who thinks the whole thing is manufactured. Cycling back to old posts would be boring, and I'm obviously not going to produce anything in the way of new evidence that proves that despite uncertainty around the rate of sea level rise, etc., there is indeed a scientific consensus around some core principles. So that leaves me at a loss as to how to proceed, unless someone more creative decides to step in and bring this trainwreck of a conversation around in a more positive direction.
Other developed countries demonstrate no such thing as the conditions do not exist to make this determination. Punitive fuel taxes and other regulation intended to inhibit products like this don't allow the conditions to determine what individuals actually want. Compelled behavior does not allow the demonstration of actual preferences. I never argued rich people can't care. I argued that actual actions demonstrate what is really cared about. Consensus is not, and has never been, science. The train wreck is continuing to argue in support of ideas which violate the scientific method at every turn....like claiming consensus is evidence.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am 
RayD wrote:
pretty weak sauce when you need to conflate disagreement with being 'triggered. If we're going to play that way, i need merely claim you're triggered over pushback to Thunberg.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Other developed countries demonstrate no such thing as the conditions do not exist to make this determination. Punitive fuel taxes and other regulation intended to inhibit products like this don't allow the conditions to determine what individuals actually want. Compelled behavior does not allow the demonstration of actual preferences.
The modern environment does not align with the one we evolved in, and many people don't really know what they want. They owe it to themselves to figure it out, but sometimes need a bit of nudging. We're manipulated by so many forces (sure, including fuel taxes) that more or less keep us on a hedonic treadmill of unsatisfying consumption. But science is figuring it out. Community, purpose, health, contributing to the well-being of another. Other countries and cultures provide many lessons, positive and negative.
MtnGoat wrote:
I never argued rich people can't care. I argued that actual actions demonstrate what is really cared about.
So...can but don't? How wealth relates to this is an interesting topic but I fear could be a bit of a rabbit hole. It's hard not to have a bigger footprint when you're a billionaire, but you can offset it to some degree.
MtnGoat wrote:
The train wreck is continuing to argue in support of ideas which violate the scientific method at every turn....like claiming consensus is evidence.
Correct, consensus isn't evidence, but the evidence used to build that consensus is. Again, I'm not here to prove that global warming is a threat. There's plenty of material out there already. I am here to encourage those who are sickened by what they see here that yes there is hope, and you don't have to sacrifice happiness and well-being to be a responsible world citizen.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
pretty weak sauce when you need to conflate disagreement with being 'triggered.
"triggering" is just a subjective measurement of the emotional magnitude of an effect. Cause and effect are themselves human concepts, not based on any fundamental conception of reality. Personally I've never liked the term. It's just used to trigger people smile.gif

Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
That's a hilarious redefinition of TDS. The act of redefinition perfectly fits the original definition.
Urban Dictionary wrote:
Trump Derangement Syndrome, is the unwavering adoration and devotion to a political leader, beginning with Donald Trump the namesake of the disorder
Geeezz, I'm reluctant to even engage your level of petty stupidity, but I guess you're free to usurp or edit any definition as you see fit. Life inside the bubble remains a curiosity to the rest of us. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_derangement_syndrome Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) is a derogatory term for criticism or negative reactions to United States President Donald Trump that are alleged to be irrational and have little regard towards Trump's actual positions or actions taken.[2] The term has been used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of his actions, as a way of "reframing" the discussion by suggesting that his opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:26 pm 
There's an unhealthy infatuation with Trump across the spectrum, IMO. No one is important enough to be on the front page of every paper for the past 1057 days. OK that's a bit of an exaggeration, but close enough. If there was a paper that vowed to never mention him, I'd consider subscribing.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The antiGreta. Articulate, clear thinking.
Heartland Institute Suit 1: That Swedish kid is killing us with global warming. She's got kids all over the world riled up. We need to push back. We need to find a kid that will get sympathy reading our script. Suit 2: Yeah, but we better not get an American kid. With that damn upspeak they all sound like they're unsure of what they are saying. Suit 1: Right. How about a German? A lot of people think people with German accents are smart. Hell, Kissinger milked a whole career out of a fake accent. Suit 2: Good. But not too strong an accent, so it sounds like a parody; just enough so you know that they are German. Suit 1: I agree. And it should be a girl, a photogenic girl, that can read the script without a lot of emotion but still sound convincing. See what you can find. Suit 2: OK, I'm on it boss.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:01 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
History has demonstrated the falsity of arguments that history has a social or political 'direction' in terms of social advancement
You can't be serious?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep