Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Adams Summit Bivy, Dec 7-8, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 4:51 pm 
I'd like to climb Parinacota, looks really cool. Be sure to post!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:02 pm 
Super cool trip and very nice TR write-up and photos. Thank you. Good luck on your upcoming S. America trip. I'll be looking forward to your posts from those adventures!

mike

mike
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:45 pm 
Nice trip! I am also skeptical of the value of a quick trip to 4000m and back down. Note the reference to staying at 4km for 16 days. I've found it to be at least 2 weeks (a month is better) above 10k' to begin to feel comfortable eating and sleeping normally. Takes a bit to change your breathing pattern habit to get more air in your lungs. Can you budget an extra week or two just being a tourist before going much higher? The altiplano is 12k' and there is plenty to ee and do.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:11 pm 
In the airplane en route, you'll be at the equivalent of 8000'. Well, unless it's a 787 which I think is 6000'.

christensent

christensent
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
That’s also about the time my pad had self-deflated enough for me to be resting on the snow and very cold. I reluctantly got out of my bags to re-inflate my pad.
While laying on my slightly-leaky-sleeping-pad a few weeks ago, I ran the math in my head while dreading the next upcoming re-inflation. I convinced myself beyond any reasonable doubt that I should be able to inflate the pad while I'm laying on it. I felt someone ridiculous but had to try it, and indeed was thrilled to find out that you can indeed fully inflate your sleeping pad while you are on it! Forever, my life is changed on setting inflation levels leaky or not. (a typical hiking body is many square feet in area, and weighs in the region of 150-250lbs... this results in a ground pressure of a small fraction of 1PSI. A human can blow just over 1PSI - you can barely even tell it's harder to inflate... spread your body out evenly as much as possible and it just gets easier and easier).

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm 
There has been a lot of research on acclimatization upon moving from sea level to high altitude. Groups from the U of Washington Medical School have done research on high altitude acclimatization at various locations including Mt Everest. I had a U of W Professor of Medicine give a short talk about acclimatization to high altitude in my engineering class and as I recall he said the change in Red Blood Cell concentration caused by going from sea level to high altitude followed an exponential curve assuming the body had adequate iron etc. to make the new Red Blood Cells. To help my acclimatization, I would eat chicken livers to get lots of iron and then hike from Paradise to Camp Muir (sleep at Paradise, hike to Camp Muir, then sleep again at Paradise), climb Mt Baker (high camp in the 7,000-8,500 ft elevation range), and climb Mt Adams (camp at about 9,500 ft). I was lucky to never have any high altitude effects - and I realize that on my climbs in Wash. State I was not at altitudes higher than Mt Rainier. I suspect that there may be a long term adaptation to higher altitude because I have never known of a person who was born and raised at higher altitude such as Denver Colorado getting altitude sickness climbing Mt Rainier even though the person was now living in Seattle. When the summer Olympic games were held in Mexico City, there was considerable attention given to acclimatization to higher altitude. I climbing friend of mine (a nurse) had Diamox (a prescription drug) in her first aid kit and Diamox is effective in preventing and treating high altitude effects.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm 
Cool trip report, including the photos as well as the tale - as CC noted strong work! For acclimatization for big trips, perhaps one could get a return on investment by renting out a hypobaric chamber. Maybe someone already does rent them for all I know... At around four grand (tent plus pressure thingy) for one of these tent style chambers I imagine some people just buy them to use whenever planning outings to high places.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 2:21 pm 
Another excellent trip report by Eric G., and interesting points that follow.
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
The other claim that acclimation is very specific to the individual is based on my own experience.
I have a friend, a top rock climber and mountaineer, who is a 'study of one' in that she regularly breaks all the norms about sleep and nutrition while exercising yet still performs at a top level. Regarding E.G. and his amazingly fast climbs in the Cascades and around the world, and quoting his statement above about individuality, he also may be an exception to the norm in regard to the 'rules' about acclimatization.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
silence

silence
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 am 
Nice! Great pix too! Checked out your website ... VERY impressive ... what you guys have accomplished, esp in such a short time. And what you still plan to do. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
JustJoe

JustJoe
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 pm 
I don't claim to know anything about acclimization(or even how to spell it right probably), but I do know a really cool and courageous trip agenda when I see one. Very impressive and enjoyable photographic perspective and one I will probably never experience in person. Besides, I'd be too afraid the Yeti would come along in the the middle of the night and want to share my tent space. paranoid.gif