Forum Index > Trip Reports > Juan de Fuca Trail Vancouver Island; Oct 11-14, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:13 pm 
After the high country became snow-covered and cold with slush, it was time to hit the coast. We wanted wild shoreline and the ability to travel with my steadfast companion Bodhran. The Juan de Fuca trail seemed to meet all those requirements. It is NW of Victoria on Vancouver Island, within view of the stately Olympic range.
Backpacking the coast
Backpacking the coast
Tide pools
Tide pools
High perch
High perch
One of my favorite parts of this trip was the journey to get to the trail head: A quick trip across the border; catch the ferry to Swartz Bay from Tswwassen (saw a strong whale spout during passage); the scenic and quiet West Coast road through the towns of Sooke, Shirley, and Jordan River. We timed it during the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so made ferry reservations well in advance. Traffic was a non-issue.
Shipwreck art
Shipwreck art
Cobble
Cobble
Turning the corner
Turning the corner
The Juan de Fuca trail offers several access points allowing customization according to ambition, vacation, and ability. We accessed at Sombrio Beach, also popular destination for cold water surfers. And indeed they were abundant, but quite localized and easy to get beyond.
Camp one
Camp one
Angled light
Angled light
Within reach of the tides
Within reach of the tides
Coast time
Coast time
Mussel bed
Mussel bed
Nothing but green
Nothing but green
Yielding to sand
Yielding to sand
This trail has been referenced as a training ground for the more rigorous West Coast Trail. I would agree in that it features suspension bridges, stairs, bear boxes, pit toilets, and elaborate boardwalks. It also has the more familiar coastal amenities like rugged and varied beach travel, mud holes, and tidal cutoffs. The price is more affordable though at $10 CAD/day per person. Enforcement was evident.
Juan de Fuca trail
Juan de Fuca trail
Trail suspense
Trail suspense
Coastal fall
Coastal fall
Coastal trail
Coastal trail
Golden hour
Golden hour
We enjoyed convenient afternoon low tides and mostly dry weather. Camp envy led us to relocate further SE on Sombrio, though camp one was quite a scenic beach situation. Three nights allowed us ample time to explore the overland trails, headlands, slot waterfall, and tide pools at leisure. Unfortunately, one of the butane canisters that I grabbed for the trip was incompatible with my stove, so we spent one morning foraging in Port Renfrew for more gas, and breakfast at a charming little cafe. The hike out only took 15 minutes.
Low tide dazzle
Low tide dazzle
Admiring the falls
Admiring the falls
Between tides
Between tides
Urchin
Urchin
Out with the tides
Out with the tides
Magic carpet
Magic carpet
Beware of the day coons out there. They will dash down from the impenetrable salal scrub at shoreline and nab food items. I lost a peanut butter tube to one before getting wise. The crows are wise too, being the Air Force contingent of pilfering-class wildlife. Bodhran was helpful in defending the food ramparts.
Camp two
Camp two
Morning rays
Morning rays
Dusk
Dusk
There was plenty to explore and enjoy out there. I suspect I will be going back for more whenever I need a dose of coastal tidewater.
Quiet when the tide's low
Quiet when the tide's low

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 1:03 pm 
Looks just fantastic! Thank you for sharing your photos!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Damian

Damian
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:25 pm 
up.gif Very nice report. Great photography.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:49 pm 
Visit during the minus tides in July. The tide pools are quite extensive at Botanical Beach, just outside of Port Renfrow.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 9:41 pm 
What a beautiful place! Looks like this could make for a good family hike. For our youngins.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 am 
Glad you liked the report. There are several access points and options for ability level.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 03, 2020 7:46 am 
Beautiful pics D. Thanks for posting.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 am 
Love your reports. Thanks for sharing.