Forum Index > Trail Talk > How to Find Silence in a Noisy World
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 pm 
"By holding a microphone I became a better listener. I learned that a microphone doesn't listen for what's important, it doesn't judge, it doesn't interfere. My whole life I had been listening for what was important rather than taking things in with an equal value."
Seriously enjoyed this short video. Hope you do as well. Feel free to share your own thoughts. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:49 pm 
thanks Rumi. at the end, he sums up succinctly: not one square inch of the planet is protected from noise pollution. not one. it is for that reason that I object so strongly to the use of the airspace over Olympic National Park by the U.S. Navy - it is a completely, unquestionably, and outrageously inappropriate use of the airspace over a National Park.
Kalaloch Beach 3 082019 01

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:51 pm 
"Silence is not the absence of anything, it is the presence of everything." I've never seen a YouTube video that let you pan around before. Then again I don't watch much video.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:30 am 
Thanks for this! For more, I recommend his 2012 interview with Krista Tippett (50 minute podcast).
Cyclopath wrote:
I've never seen a YouTube video that let you pan around before.
You should try it on my VR headset.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 am 
I enjoyed that. As in the old adage, silence is golden.

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:16 pm 
I did enjoy the video. I just spent three nights at or near the summit of Mauna Loa on the Big Island of Hawaii. The only man made sounds I heard were when I encountered a couple other hikers on my way down the mountain. For one of those days there was not a puff of wind; there are no animals or birds up there so none of those sounds. It was, in essence, as devoid of sound as any place I've ever visited including Olympic National Park and yet I don't see it on any list of quietest places on Earth.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:18 pm 
Nice video. This is something that bothers me a lot. I find it so hard to find quiet anywhere. I've been on the ONP coast 4 times this year and was shocked at the Growler noise. Every 30 minutes, in some cases. They have their electromagnetic warfare stations (not the right name I'm sure) right outside the ONP boundary near Kalaloch and also on Quillayute land. It seems like the more remote I go, hoping to find quiet, the more I don't. The more remote areas seem to have a higher chance of hearing target shooting/hunting, snowmobiles, or just noise associated with agriculture or ranching. We've been saving for a cabin but damned if I know where I can find a place that will be quiet anymore. I thought the San Juans would be it--there's not going to be gun or snowmobile noise there anyway--but the Growler situation up there is a game changer.

mike

mike
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:51 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I thought the San Juans would be it--there's not going to be gun or snowmobile noise there anyway--but the Growler situation up there is a game changer
We live 30 miles as a crow flies from the base and sometimes it is very loud. Still much quieter around here than the mainland.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:16 pm 
Thanks for that post, Rumi. Gordon Hempton is one of my heroes. I posted about him elsewhere earlier this year (can't recall the thread). I enjoy listening to the soundtrack on One Square Inch of Silence, and have read his book. up.gif As others have noted here, I was dismayed by the Growler noise now disturbing the Olympic beaches (and presumably) the Hoh. I wish we could stop it, but not likely given the political trends these years.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:45 pm 
Ski wrote:
thanks Rumi. at the end, he sums up succinctly: not one square inch of the planet is protected from noise pollution. not one. it is for that reason that I object so strongly to the use of the airspace over Olympic National Park by the U.S. Navy - it is a completely, unquestionably, and outrageously inappropriate use of the airspace over a National Park.
In my experience, there is more civilian aviation noise over the Olympic Mountains than military--passenger jets climbing out of SeaTac at full power on their way to Alaska and Japan. The new terminal at Paine Field farther north might alleviate some of this. Far far far worse is the noise over Mount Rainier environs--especially the north side of the park. The air traffic out of SeaTac is still relatively low altitude and full power climbing to cruise, headed to all almost every major city in the US. A morning visit to Spray Park will be interrupted by deafening jet noise every 7-10 minutes. Not sure what can be done; people are in a big hurry.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 12:50 am 
Brian R wrote:
In my experience, there is more civilian aviation noise over the Olympic Mountains than military--passenger jets climbing out of SeaTac at full power on their way to Alaska and Japan.
This may be a totally apocryphal story, but in many years past I recall having heard that commercial jet traffic routes deliberately avoided flying over ONP to keep it quiet. Have no idea who would have engineered that bit of politics/logistics, assuming it were true. Ski, since you're one of our experts on all things/experiences Olympic, going back to the 50's,do you know, perhaps? During my last 2 visits to the Olympic beaches, the Growler noise was quite disturbing, even down near the surf, and I recall zero noise from commercial aircraft while in the Mora campground.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:06 am 
^ The amount of commercial air traffic over the coast along the Kalaloch Coastal Strip is virtually non-existent. The amount of commercial air traffic over the Queets Valley is virtually non-existent. My understanding is that most of the commercial airliner traffic out of SeaTac has volunteered to move flight paths (when possible) so that they're not flying over the central core of the Park. On rare occasions, single-engine fixed-wing aircraft (being operated either by NPS, QIN, or private owners) might fly over those areas, but those flyovers are of short duration and minimal decibel levels. The Growler noise from Whidbey Island Naval Air Station is, on most days, continual throughout most of the day, every day, all day, every day, and loud enough that it can be heard over the sound of the surf on an incoming tide when standing waist deep in the surf at Kalaloch. It is not commercial traffic which is causing the noise on the west side of ONP.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mike

mike
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:08 am 
They have increased the number of growlers to 112. Navy plans 100,000 takeoffs and landings per year.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:32 pm 
It is a strange experience to sit or stand quietly inside an anechoic chamber - i.e. a room that is insulated from outside sounds and has sound deadening material on all surfaces. You just hear the sounds inside your own body.

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
This may be a totally apocryphal story, but in many years past I recall having heard that commercial jet traffic routes deliberately avoided flying over ONP to keep it quiet. Have no idea who would have engineered that bit of politics/logistics, assuming it were true. Ski, since you're one of our experts on all things/experiences Olympic, going back to the 50's,do you know, perhaps?
My last flight out of SEA to Juneau, about a year ago, took me right over Mount Olympus. Actually, more over Skyline, Low Divide, Christie/Delabarre, Goldie River & north--but the views of the glaciers off the left wing were spectacular. I haven;t spent much time on the Olympic Coast lately--but that sounds awful. Not sure what the service life is on those Growlers; they're getting old and no doubt their mission replacement aircraft will be quieter. But still. I get it.