Forum Index > Trip Reports > Haleakala Crater - 11.7.2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 am 
An 11.2 mile hike through the Haleakala Crater... starting out from the Haleakala visitor center (~9800') on the Sliding Sands Trail... which we hiked for 3.9 miles to the floor (~7400') of the crater... then connected with the Halemau'u Trail that we hiked for 3.5 miles to the Houla Cabin (~6900')... then a mile or so further downhill to our low point (~6600') before finishing up the hike by gaining 1400 feet of elevation in ~3 miles up to the Halemau'u Trailhead (~8000'). Beautiful terrain and colors all day long... and if you don't have the use of two cars for this hike, park at the Halemau'u Trailhead (~8000') and then hitchhike up to the visitor center (~9800') to begin the thru-hike. Select the link below for a play-by-play pictorial of this adventure. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our hike through the Haleakala Crater. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 12:17 pm 
Awesome! I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for my next trip to Maui. Thanks! Looks like a great hike. smile.gif

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 pm 
A fun hike through interesting terrain. My favorite being the amazingly steep Halemau’u trail leading out of the crater.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:22 pm 
Cool trip. Thanks for sharing. I wanted to copy your routing when I was out there last May, but could not get away from my companions for long enough. Leleiwi Overlook at the penultimate switchback is good car tourism too. Looking down on Halemau’u trail climbing out of crater from Leleiwi Overlook. Switchbacks visible in full res.
Looking down on Halemau'u Trail
Haleakala Crater
Crater
Crater

neek

neek
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 7:27 pm 
Did you see any nēnē? There were lots in the crater when I was there...January 10 years ago

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 am 
Yes, these were hanging out at Houla Cabin.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:02 am 
Sweet! Hoping to make it over there one day. Your hikes will serve as inspiration. smile.gif

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Looking down on Halemau’u trail climbing out of crater from Leleiwi Overlook. Switchbacks visible in full res.
This is the first time that I've seen the switchbacks leading back up to the Halemau'u Trailhead from the crater floor. We also did this hike in 2012... and just like on our 2019 hike, by the time we got to the Houla Cabin and the switchbacks in the far left of your photo, the clouds had come up through Ko'olau Gap and covered them... which pretty much seems to be a daily occurrence on Haleakala.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am 
neek wrote:
Did you see any nēnē? There were lots in the crater when I was there...January 10 years ago
BarbE's photo shows two at the Houla Cabin... I couldn't remember seeing any, but Denali Girl said that there was a herd of them at the cabin... and that we had to watch where to step to avoid stepping on them and their droppings. I do remember having to slow down on the road a couple times to let some finish crossing the road on our drive up to the visitor center.

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 pm 
We were there about four days before you. Backpacked and overnighted in a shitstorm at Palikū, while also getting threatened by some territorial nene. Absolutely amazing though. There's practically a jungle over there, standing in bright contrast to the Mars-like terrain on the south side of the crater. In case anyone backpacks there and needs stove fuel, Target is the only place on Maui that carries it now. Cheers!

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 am 
Three more hikes on Maui: A 2.4 mile roundtrip hike to the Kanahua summit (8727') near the SW end of the Skyline Trail. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our hike to Kanahua. ----------------------------- A 5.6 mile roundtrip coastal hike from La Perouse Bay to Kanaio Beach and Kamanamana Beach... using a small section of the Hoapili Trail (aka the Kings Highway). Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our hike on the Kings Highway. ----------------------------- A 4.9 mile roundtrip coastal hike from Wai'anapanapa State Park to Ka'inalimu Bay located near Hana... using the Ke Ala Loa O Maui/Piilani Trail. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our hike to Ka'inalimu Bay. --

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm 
Nice. We spent two nights camped near the cabin that's close to where the Halemau'u trail drops into the "crater floor" (really the high valley since it's not technical a crater as I understand it, but is often called one) back in '91. On the middle day we did a nice chunk of hiking around in there. It was fun to watch the daily cloud patterns for sure, and they do have their way with that place!

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 6:25 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
more hikes on Maui: A 2.4 mile roundtrip hike to the Kanahua summit (8727') near the SW end of the Skyline Trail.
Can't figure out how to make your TH directions app work? Guessing you access this by driving up paved switchbacks on Waipoli road, then through Polipoli State Park? Waihee Ridge Trail, NW coast near airport was fun and popular. 2+miles and 1+k ft? Go early to avoid crowds. I left TH just before 7 and had a pleasant climb in solitude. Passed ~80 people on the way down.
Waihee Ridge Trail
Waihee Ridge Trail
Nakalele Point and the Acid War Zone. Could have spent all day poking around here.
Nakalele Point
Nakalele Point
Acid War Zone
Acid War Zone
Lots of people at the roadside lookouts visible in full res center left of photo. Felt a bit like a zoo animal scrambling around in front of them but they all stayed up top in their place. Lots of coast to explore around there.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:31 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Can't figure out how to make your TH directions app work? Guessing you access this by driving up paved switchbacks on Waipoli road, then through Polipoli State Park? Waihee Ridge Trail, NW coast near airport was fun and popular. 2+miles and 1+k ft? Go early to avoid crowds. I left TH just before 7 and had a pleasant climb in solitude. Passed ~80 people on the way down.
You are correct on how to access the SW end of the Skyline Trail... but well before reaching the turnoff for Polipoli State Park the paved road turns to dirt and gravel. The road is in reasonable condition to the Polipoli turnoff, but it does deteriorate from the park up to the closed gate at 8200 feet... recommend 4WD or AWD with several inches of clearance... of course a person could drive the road until they felt the need to park... and then hike the road up to the closed gate. Like you, we also took the Waihee Ridge Trail up to the summit of Lanilili before driving on up to the Nakalele Blowhole... however, like 99.9 percent of the tourists, we stayed up above it instead of hiking down to it.