Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wedding Venues on Former Slave Plantations
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
catsp

catsp
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:16 am 
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 am 
Here is an organization that offers lodging and contact with the descendants of slaves to learn about the history of slavery from their perspective. A story which is often glossed over(or should I say whitewashed) in our educational system. https://slavedwellingproject.org

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 pm 
I heard a great story on NPR. An African American father and son went on a plantation tour. They were the only black people on the tour. The son got horribly depressed. His dad called him over to the brick wall of the house and said "spit on it". He did and his dad did. I'm not sure if it was a place where their ancestors had been in bondage. But the act of spitting on the house made him feel better. It was an hour long show on plantation tours and what they don't talk about. The complicated business of plantation tours

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:18 pm 
When we went to see Jefferson's Monticello, we took a tour of the house...
...and then we took the 'Slavery/plantation tour':
The two tours told completely different stories. Even the tour guides had completely different demeanors. I'm glad we took the first tour, but the second one was by far the one that sticks in my mind more.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 6:56 pm 
most people do not understand the real story about slavery and I make no bones that I believe in it. BUT the people brought to america were already slaves in africa someplace made so by warring tribes. america was not the first to buy people in bondage but there was a great need for workers on southern plantations and apparently there were few others who would perform that kind of work....however that being said american indians also made slaves of opposing tribes after a battle including taking the women for wives and killing the children and older people....the truth will out if you have a mind to research it?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 pm 
Best quote I saw recently from a black person. White privilege is your history being core, mine is an elective.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am 
Cdetroyer, thanks for the obvious revelation. So what?

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:50 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
BUT the people brought to america were already slaves in africa someplace made so by warring tribes.
And that makes it OK exactly how?

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:02 pm 
Methinks I detect fear.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:47 pm 
Disagreement, statements of context, or additional information...is hardly an indicator of fear. Whereas intentionally implying fear on someone else's part is sometimes a back door tool for de-legitimizing their arguments without presenting empirical reasons why they're wrong.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 3:58 pm 
Your honor,,, I was just pointing out the obvious..

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:01 pm 
Case dismissed.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:08 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Your honor,,, I was just pointing out the obvious..
It was never present... nor obvious.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:38 pm 
...birds of a feather....

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:43 pm 
I think the leader of our great nation has unleashed the bonds of ignorance from the bottom dwellers.