Forum Index > Trip Reports > Agnew Meadows to Tenaya Lake (YNP) via JMT + (Part two - 8/31 to 9/3)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:53 pm 
This is part two of our trip to Ca. to section hike the JMT. In part one, I covered trip logistics and planning, several days of travel and day hikes to get acclimated, and the first 4 and one-half days on the backpack, which consisted of nights camped at Lake Ediza, Thousand island Lake, and Lower Davis Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, and in Yosemite NP's Lyle Canyon. Midway on day 5 of the backpack (8/31), we reached our car and food re-supply at the Wilderness center in Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows area. At this point, we exchanged some clothes, dumped some trash, and packed food for two days. We then drove about a mile down the Tioga Road to the Visitor Center for obligatory (but excellent) burgers for lunch. After lunch, we drove about another mile west on Tioga road, and parked at the Cathedral Lakes trailhead (8570'). We rejoined the JMT and hiked about 3.5 miles (gaining 860' before dropping 150') to Lower Cathedral Lake, where we found another beautiful and solitary place to camp near the lake. I spent the rest of the evening exploring and taking photos (including my only "selfie" of the trip) as the sun went down. The photos included a backpacker I came upon meditating on a rock in a stream below Cathedral Mountain. No wonder it's called "Cathedral" mountain.
"selfie" at Lower Cathedral Lake
"selfie" at Lower Cathedral Lake
Cathedral Mountain reflection
Cathedral Mountain reflection
Cathedral meditation
Cathedral meditation
Meditating in an outdoor cathedral
Meditating in an outdoor cathedral
Shapes at sunset
Shapes at sunset
Cathedral sunset
Cathedral sunset
Last light on Cathedral Mountain
Last light on Cathedral Mountain
After sunset, I took several more photos of Cathedral Mountain reflected in Lower Cathedral Lake, and then some in the evening. While taking photos of Cathedral Mountain in the dark, I kept seeing lights dancing up, down and around around the top of the mountain, which I assumed were from climbers on the mountain but were nevertheless puzzling due to the way the lights would rapidly swing around the mountain. I did not get a photo of the swinging lights, however, but only when the lights were stationary.
Cathedral Mountain reflected in Lower Cathedral Lake (post-sunset)
Cathedral Mountain reflected in Lower Cathedral Lake (post-sunset)
Evening at Lower Cathedral Lake
Evening at Lower Cathedral Lake
Evening sky at Lower Cathedral Lake (looking west)
Evening sky at Lower Cathedral Lake (looking west)
Later evening at Lower Cathedral Lake with lights of climbers on Cathedral Mtn.
Later evening at Lower Cathedral Lake with lights of climbers on Cathedral Mtn.
9/1: We took out time leaving Lower Cathedral Lake. I headed up to Upper Cathedral Lake early to check it out, and Jeff W. also went early to the upper lake to fish. We regrouped at Cathedral Pass (9700'), and continued west on the JMT 3.3 another miles (about 5 miles from Lower Cathedral Lake) to the Sunrise Lakes trail junction. Here, we left the JMT and proceeded north about 2.5 miles to the third of the Sunrise Lakes (first lake if coming from the Sunrise Lakes Trailhead on Tioga Road), where we made camp. So this was about 7.5 miles for the day. We were not alone as there were other backpackers scattered in the woods around the lake. The lake (9200') was scenic but also did not have mountain views we had at most of our camps. At sunset, however, the sun reflected off a stone wall on the far side of the lake, giving me an opportunity for some semi-abstract photos.
Looking back south down JMT from Cathedral Pass
Looking back south down JMT from Cathedral Pass
Sunset light reflection from camp at Sunrise Lake
Sunset light reflection from camp at Sunrise Lake
Reflections at sunset at Sunrise Lake
Reflections at sunset at Sunrise Lake
Small pine growing from rock at Sunrise Lake (at sunset)
Small pine growing from rock at Sunrise Lake (at sunset)
9/2. The plan was to hike out from Sunrise Lake to Tioga Road. It was only about 3.5 miles, mostly downhill to the road, but the debate this morning (actually the previous evening as well) was whether to drop our packs on the way out and hike a side trail to famous Clouds Rest, adding about 7 miles to the hike out. In the end, discretion and age won out, and we skipped the side trip to Clouds Rest and just hiked out. As we approached the Sunrise Lakes trailhead, we stumbled upon Tenaya Lake. Frankly, I did not even know the trail passed the lake. As it turned out, when we came upon Tenaya Lake at about 11:00 a.m., it was absolutely stunning. It seemed at this point to be one of the prettiest scenes I had ever seen, the road close-by notwithstanding. It was so beautiful and inviting we spent nearly two hours at (and in) the lake, and I took many photos of the picturesque lake and kayakers.
Beautiful Tenya Lake (YNP)
Beautiful Tenya Lake (YNP)
Tenaya Lake, YNP
Tenaya Lake, YNP
Kayakers on Tenaya Lake
Kayakers on Tenaya Lake
Kayaker on Tenaya Lake
Kayaker on Tenaya Lake
This ended the backpacking part of the trip, but not the trip itself. Because we had skipped the night at Garnet Lake, we had a "bonus" day before heading back to Vegas and Ohio. So, after I grabbed a ride back to where we left the car at the Cathedral Lake trailhead, and then returning for the others, we went to the Yosemite campground and got campsites for the night. After setting up our tents, we headed back west on Tiago Road to Olmstead Point. I personally had been to Olmstead Point before, but the others had not. When we arrived, the late afternoon sky, clouds and light made for some terrific photos.
Tenaya Lake from Olmstead Point (YNP)
Tenaya Lake from Olmstead Point (YNP)
Yosemite Valley as seen from Olmstead Point
Yosemite Valley as seen from Olmstead Point
Olmstead Point in monochrome
Olmstead Point in monochrome
Yosemite Valley from Olmstead Point
Yosemite Valley from Olmstead Point
Olmstead Point rocks in monochrome
Olmstead Point rocks in monochrome
Olmstead Point rocks in color
Olmstead Point rocks in color
Olmstead Point, YNP
Olmstead Point, YNP
Olmstead Point rocks and tree
Olmstead Point rocks and tree
Olmstead Point in late afternoon light
Olmstead Point in late afternoon light
The others in the group had never been to Yosemite Valley and because we were that close and had some time on our hands, we left Olmstead Point and headed to Yosemite Valley, arriving at the tunnel viewpoint in time for sunset. We then drove around the Valley before returning to Tuolumne meadows campground well past dark.
Yosemite Valley at sunset
Yosemite Valley at sunset
9/3 (Bonus day). We left Tuolumne Meadows campground and headed east on Tioga road out of YNP. However, because we had a "bonus" day due to finishing our backpacking trip a day early, we headed to Saddlebag Lake (10,080) just east of eastern entrance to YNP. You can drive right to the lake. Jeff W. in our group spent the day fishing in the lake while the rest of us hiked the Saddlebag Lake loop, most of which is located in the Hoover Wilderness. The loop trail winds past more than a dozen lakes, with minimal (800') elevation gain. The area is incredibly scenic, with a scenery to effort ratio that is among the best I ever experienced. My brother I did the 8 mile basic loop, and also went off trail to some hidden lakes. On the return, I came upon a nice field of paintbrush but by then some dark clouds had moved in and, as I began to shoot the flowers, it started to thunder. We were pretty exposed, so I packed up my camera gear and we made a beeline for the car as it started to rain. Fortunately, the really heavy rain did not start until we left the area and were on our way back to Bishop.
Saddlebag Lake loop
Saddlebag Lake loop
Saddlebag Lake loop (Hoover Wilderness)
Fly fisherman
Fly fisherman
Wildflowers in Hoover Wilderness along Saddlebag Lake loop
Wildflowers in Hoover Wilderness along Saddlebag Lake loop
Stormclouds threatening and thundering
Stormclouds threatening and thundering
One final shot of the wildflower extravaganza in Hoover Wilderness
One final shot of the wildflower extravaganza in Hoover Wilderness
As planned, we spent the night in a motel in Bishop and then returned to Vegas the following day, where we caught our return flight to Cleveland, got in our car at the airport, and drove home to Youngstown. All in all, our 2019 backpacking trip was exceptional. It required extensive planning and involved permits, reservations, planes, public buses, shuttles, car rentals, and other logistics, but it went without a hitch of any kind. In addition, we had no equipment failures and, even more remarkable for a group of four older flatlanders hiking the Sierra Nevada mountains, no injuries (except a couple feet blisters). I set a few personal records on the trip (at least as an adult) including most consecutive days (10) without a shower and sleeping in a bed. Mostly, however, the trip was memorable for the amazing scenery and the privilege of being able to experience the JMT. Thank you reading this report and looking at the photos. Questions or comments always welcome.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
Some of the best photos that I’ve seen of the Sierras. You really captured the essence of them.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 pm 
up.gif Cloudsrest is a very worthwhile destination. Great view down into the valley and a different perspective of Half Dome and El Cap than most of the photos you see. Next time maybe. biggrin.gif I've camped at Saddlebag Lake but didn't hike up there, that's something for me to do next time.