Forum Index > Gear Talk > Anyone have experience with 'Citizen Promaster Altichron' wrist watch?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WaState

WaState
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:49 pm 
.I am looking for a simple altimeter watch that is not that expensive. The Citizen Promaster Altichron, has time date, altitude and compass, that's all, which I like. Anyone have experience with it ? Does it work well enough and tough enough? The altimeter work good enough? Thanks for any info, looks like I can get a new one for around $300.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Dec 18, 2019 12:45 am 
If you're willing to spend that much, why not just get a Suunto? I have a Core and it's great - the altimeter function is pretty accurate if you calibrate it regularly, and being able to hit a button on your wrist and get a quick bearing also comes in handy. You can probably find a used or sale Suunto for way less than $300. I got mine used for $80 and just have to change the battery once a year. When the band broke a couple years ago, I was able to buy a replacement for cheap on Amazon. No complaints with the Suunto.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Dec 18, 2019 10:02 am 
Or, for WAY less than $300 you could get handheld non-battery altimeter (Sun Company, etc.), a simple watch with solar recharge, and a small orienteering compass and never worry about the surprise of dead batteries. Of course, then you can't geek out on the tech as much...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 18, 2019 10:22 am 
I hav a Casio I got years ago after I lost my Suunto when the band broke in Algonquin Park in the middle of nowhere. Batteries last for about 3 years and are hard to replace. Most watchmakers will not try. Now I just use an app most GPS apps also have an altimeter function.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Franco

Franco
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 2:41 pm 
Mine is a Casio Pro Master solar powered. It is about 15 years old, still using the original battery. (PRG 50 YT, newer versions are available)

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 11:58 am 
Garmin Instinct seems to check the same boxes, on sale for $200. A watch is a pretty crummy compass, no substitute for a small baseplate with declination adjustment. Smart phone with Gaia Map app is more functional altitude indication than pressure based watch. Without resetting the altimeter watch at known points (lakes) daily, the altitude indication can be off significantly. That’s a lot of fussing around to make the altitude function usable. I personally use a polar watch. Has GPS and provides distant travelled, and of course HR monitoring. Best of all it is rechargeable, so no battery change. My headlight and camera are USB rechargeable as well, so one big Anker brick covers all with a few cords.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau