Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best Overview Map for Area Around PCT North of HWY 2?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am 
Bernardo wrote:
I am looking for something like the Alpine Lakes Wilderness map that was published by ALPS.
This is such an excellent resource. I had mine out recently and scanned over it with a magnifying glass for detail. I had wondered if other designated Wildernesses had similar maps. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm 
My favorite "big picture" map is made by Square One Maps. Unfortunately, it would be a bit too big of a picture (one inch = 6 miles) and as (bad) luck would have it, you would need two to cover that area (the split happens to fall between there). Still, for future reference, they are underrated maps, as they show a lot of peaks, lakes and trails over a very wide area. I've started carrying them on backpacking trips, as it helps refresh my memory for trips outside of where we are. They are also excellent for picking out peaks on day hikes. Anyway, Green Trails would be just about the right scale, but none of their special maps go from Stevens to Rainy Pass. There is a very nice map of the Glacier Peak area made by Geo-Graphics. But it only goes from about Fortune Ponds to Goode Mountain. That means it is pretty close, but not quite all of what you want. On the northern end, you can't quite see the highway, but it is very close. On the southern end you lose more (about ten miles). If you are considering a backpack trip between the two passes, and want to know what side trips are available, this might be just the ticket, even though it doesn't go the whole way. The Green Trails regular Benchmark Mountain (144) would complement it on the southern end, and that particular map is a very good one. The PCT goes right through the middle, starting at about Stevens Pass, and there are a whole bunch of trails and natural features along the way. The northern part is so close to Rainy Pass, I wouldn't worry about it (when thinking in terms of an overview). The Trails Illustrated/National Geographic maps would work, but I prefer the Geo-Graphics or Green Trails maps. In my opinion, the Green Trails are the best for big picture; they are very easy to read. The trails pop out, natural features are obvious, as are topographic features. To cover the whole area, you would need to buy 4, maybe 5 maps, and tape them together (or if you are just hanging out at home, lie them next to each other). That is probably not worth it, which is why I would go with the Geo-Graphics map and just the Green Trails Benchmark Mountain (144).

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:51 pm 
I had forgotten about the Geo Graphics map, possibly because it's not high on my recommend list (because, trail-wise, it's quite out of date), but Ross is right, it does provide a good overview of the area. I'll check to see if Metsker's has that in stock right now (98% certain the answer is yes).

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 9:00 pm 
Rossb and Gwen, Thanks for your thoughtful insights. The Geo-Graphics sounds like a good starting point.

rossb

rossb
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 pm 
@Gwen -- Good point about the old Geo Graphics map having out of date trail info. But it is still generally OK. The PCT has been moved a bit (around the Suiattle) but it isn't like the period where it went around the other side of Glacier Peak. The biggest flaw is that many of the other trails are barely there, or wiped out. Even fairly up to date maps make that mistake. Before assuming you can make that side trip, it is best to do a little research.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm 
rossb wrote:
Before assuming you can make that side trip, it is best to do a little research.
And that's where most thru hikers fail. Folks still trying to bail using Whitechuck.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:23 pm 
Not totally on point but you can download half mile maps from the PCT site.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 pm 
Malachai Constant, yep I've already done that! ☺ Actually, a map with old trails is cool too if you know they are old. I like to follow old trails.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:16 pm 
Just my opinion, but I think Section K is the best PCT section in WA. It is a butt kicker yet a rewarding hike. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:22 pm 
Even though it doesn't have as many lakes?

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 pm 
Fewer lakes but more views.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 am 
Here is the GISsurfer version (said the developer). https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.823276,-121.163749&zoom=11&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=Trail_yellow,Trail,ESRI_roads_and_labels&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/recreation/USFS_recreation.txt The yellow/black trail overlays are layers hosted on the USFS GIS server. You have to be zoomed in at least this far in order to see this trail data. You can change the basemap and these overlays remain visible. One of the overlays displays the USGS topo maps. Click "Map tips" in the upper left corner for more info. If you click the 'top' overlay then you will see a popup with all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. Don't know what 'top' means? Please read the map tips.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 1:16 pm 
I have original never-been-folded Pargeter maps of the Olympics, North Cascades East, North Cascades West, and North Central Cascades. It costs me about $40 each to make full-size full-color copies at FedEx Office. The Pargeter family sure doesn't seem to be making these maps anymore, and even though the info is several years old, they're still super useful. I like the oblique projection looking north so you can really see the relief. PM me if you'd like a copy of one or all four.