Forum Index > Trip Reports > High Sierra North from Paiute Pass lakes.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 12:58 pm 
After doing the JMT we wished to go back to the area around Bishop. First we did the South Lake North Lake loop which is quite popular. After that we were intrigued with the Paiute Pass access as the gain and drop can be less than Bishop Pass. There are several large Lake basins.. We started from North Lake which is not too difficult to obtain a pass compared to South Lake. On the way to the pass we went by red buttes and Loch Leven.
Passing Paiute Pass we we continued to Humphrys Basin camping the first night at Muriel lake and day hiking off trail to Goethe Lake that night weather moved in leaving snow all over Humphrey Peak.
The next day we explored Humphrey Basin passing Lower Desolation, Desolation, Wedge, and Mesa Lake, Camping alone at Mesa.
. I scrambled up the ridge above Mesa to look around looking for the route to Puppet Basin and found an unusual square slab.
We the dropped down from the pain past scenic Hutchison Meadow camp and on to the JMT. From here it is a long hot climb up to Sally Keys Lakes especially if you resupplied at Muir Trail Ranch. The next day we ascended Selden Pass passing beautiful Marie Lake. After Marie Lake we spent a night at Rose Lake alone and in the morning went on past swampy but pretty Beverly Lou Lake. The trail became more sketchy to Sandpiper Lake where we camped.
The next day we day hiked and scrambled cross country to remote Three Island Lake.
We the headed out the same route after scoring some 12 year old single malt from a JMT hiker who’s partner did not show up and did not drink. souse.gif Note some of the lakes may be out of order as the thumbnails make them hard to identify but the pictures are nice.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 4:59 pm 
up.gif I really enjoyed my visit to Humpreys Basin and Desolation Lakes several years ago.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Dec 19, 2019 5:42 pm 
With all of the recent trip reports of the high serria's, i realize that i need another lifetime.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:38 am 
Bishop and Humprey`s basins are so great. That is a nice access trail too....The Sierra`s are a really great alternative to the Northwest. Our trip to Rae Lakes last summer was a reminder how cool it is. I used to go there alot in October and once my kids get older and the workload decreases I wanna start that up again.

andreip
Andrei

andreip
Andrei
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 pm 
Hi. When did you go? Are the pictures from December?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm 
I believe the pictures were taken in August.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn