Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mission Ridge for easy blue skier?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:45 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 pm 
Yes.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm 
This guy knows what he's talkin about.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:50 pm 
Boundary-Road->Bomber Bowl and Sunspot->Lower Tumwater Are good bets for an easy going skier. The start of Bomber Bowl and the start of Lower Tumwater might be a bit intimidating -- but after the first little bit the angle eases.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
I agree with what FiveNines says. Wildernessed and I happened to bump into Dave on a local hiking trail yesterday and he said he has already skied up there this year in Oct, Nov, and Dec. I routinely see him up there when I go. BTW, an intermediate skier can usually always find a non threatening run at Mission.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:02 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
FiveNines wrote:
I agree with what FiveNines says. Wildernessed and I happened to bump into Dave on a local hiking trail yesterday and he said he has already skied up there this year in Oct, Nov, and Dec. I routinely see him up there when I go. BTW, an intermediate skier can usually always find a non threatening run at Mission.
up.gif up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:32 pm 
I have only been to Mission Ridge a few times but always enjoyed my time there. It was never crowded when I went, but that was almost two decades ago the last time there. Seemed like dryier snow as well, if that interests you. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:57 pm 
I grew up skiing Mission and although we were living on the westside while my kids were growing up, we spent weekends there and they still consider it their "Home Mountain" as adults. While there aren't a ton of green runs, a number of them are very long so it's like getting 2-3 runs in one. A good number of the Blue runs are on the easier end of that range so they will make a good transition for a skier looking to advance. There are probably more total Blue runs a Mission than anywhere in the state (I'll probably be proven wrong). What our family likes about Mission is the length of the runs, the lack of crowds (you might not see anyone else on the run, or only a handful), and the excellent grooming - lots of smooth groomed runs each morning to choose from. Winter weather can be c-c-c-c-cold but spring weather is usually much better than the areas closer to the Cascade crest or west. Give it a shot!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am 
For cruising runs--White Pass is excellent. Head over to the new part and hope the sun is out.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
nordique

nordique
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:13 pm 
There is a lot to be said about being able to fake it: to ski down slopes that you really should not be on! I remember being on Seventh Heaven at Stevens Pass, on nordic skis, with boots that did not come up to my ankle. Even on wood edges, I could side slip just fine. Once, when I stopped, to catch my breath, I skidded to a stop near a couple. She was very frightened. He said "look, there is a guy on nordic skis on this slope." She calmed down, as I skidded and lurched down that run; luckily for me, it was not scraped off--and I avoided a long tumbling fall!

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 am 
But... Why?!?