Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2020 NWH Calendar and Holiday Potluck Social (12/20/2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 pm 
Calendar page winners are now revealed here! If you missed out on the pre-order you can order a calendar here - don't forget to enter a coupon code: AFFNEW20 (45% off for new customers), CHEER192 (40% off medium, 50% off large), NEWBOGO20A (buy 1 get 1 free for new customers). If you are a new mixbook customer the best option may be to use this referral link https://mixbook.extole.com/s/Thomas27 to sign up which will get you $20 off your first order. Planning to attend social (dish you're bringing): Tom (teriyaki meatballs), Michael (Costco combo pizza, beer, soda, plates), Opus (beer, meatballs), Nancyann +3 (baked spaghetti), Veronika (possibly!) (Some sort of dessert), JiimK (dessert), Ski (pie!), puzzlr (Phad Thai), marydave 2 (fruit salad), RumiDude (50/50 chance of atternding) (probably a salad with a few types of dressings), BarbE (Caesar Salad), Kim, maybe (Dessert), Matt (salad), Schroder (tbd), Tricia (chillie), williswall and Cassie (won't be able to make it), awilsondc (side dish - quinoa salad maybe), joker (probably rice and dal - foreign mountain adventure themed), Pyrites (Nanaimo bars, manicotti), Kenji+ (pasta salad), Hiker Mama (Not sure yet), neek (veg. fried rice), rubywrangler (deviled eggs, beer), zephyr (chicken yakisoba), Scrooge and Larch (Famous Grouse) - We'll be very late, Sculpin (just got in from out of town, but I will figure it out), Nickmtn (biscuits), elpezzz (utensils, cups, napkins), Lightning_bug (cheese plate, wine), gb (Salmon), Snowdog (chicken)

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 1:33 am 
Calendar page winners are now revealed here! awilsondc won quite a few months but graciously abdicated the closer races to allow for a more diversely represented "nwhiker's" calendar. Congrats to all! Please PM me if you pre-ordered a calendar and did not pick up at the social.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 am 
Thank you all. It was great to see so many familiar faces (some going back before our beginning). Still better to see even more new faces. The combination demonstrates the ongoing strength of NWHikers, uniquely well organized to attract a group of hikers who are especially interested in exploration - and in sharing that interest. In spite of arriving so late, there was still an intriguing selection of food left, more than I could cope with, rolleyes.gif though I did try. agree.gif Finally, Larch asked me to pass on a special thank you for the Search and Rescue presentation, which was both interesting and very well done. Hope to see you next year. Scrooge

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 9:20 am 
Really enjoyed the SAR presentation and conversations last night. Ski brought many beautiful pies. Had a hard time deciding between the mountain of food. cool.gif

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 am 
I enjoyed meeting you folks last night. I had a few people ask how to donate to SAR. Here is the link to King County SAR. http://kcsara.org/funding/ Snohomish SAR is also seeking donations. https://scvsar.org/

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:56 am 
Thanks to all who attended the social and Tom for making it happen. The presentation by car68 was fascinating, especially the videos. Will be making a donation! As always, the food was abundant and delicious, and many enjoyable conversations were had. I was delighted to meet two newcomers, lightning_bug and elpezzz, glad you came!

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 am 
Fun evening! Really enjoyed the conversations, the great food and the SAR presentation.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 pm 
Thanks for the pics BarbE, anyone else have some to share? Also, I put up an order link in the wiki if anyone missed out on the calendar pre-order and still wants one. If you pre-ordered check your PMs if you haven't contacted me already. BTW, I ended up with 1 extra large calendar. Not sure who didn't pick up. If you are missing a large calendar please let me know. Otherwise I can release it.

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 4:20 pm 
I picked up a medium calendar left on our table assuming Elle forgot hers. It wasn’t. If any body misses their calendar, I have it. BTW- Tom where can I find the Circle Lake rescue thread?

reststep

reststep
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 4:26 pm 
This might be the thread you are looking for.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:48 pm 
catsp wrote:
So not all of the "winners" are really winners? In some instances the "best" photos were relegated and lesser qualified photos were elevated in the interest of diversity?
All photos are actually "winners" have "won" their ranking of top 2 from a much larger field. Neither of those photos would ever be truly thought to be not "best" or lesser qualified, and it's quite disrespectful to suggest that either should be regarded so. The "diversity" is something that has long been sought when producing OUR nwhikers COMMUNITY calendar; we're interested in having a respresentation of what all members bring to the table. You, OTOH, seem to like to nothing but stir the pot and spark conflict. Why is that?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 pm 
Each member is allowed 2 winner spots + thumbnails on the back for additional winner spots. Been going to NWHiker socials for 9 years maintaining the same policy. The abduction months were carefully negotiated with the winner. A few 2nd place photos would have had a stronger chance at #1 if placed within a different category (difficult to perfect selection for submitter and voter).

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 10:56 pm 
I think the way Tom handled the calendar is ideal. I would have had 7 or 8 months in the calendar if all my "winning" photos were kept. Would that have been nice for the nwhikers calendar? Over half of the calendar from one person? No, that's silly. I'm really happy to see the other photos featured. I think the diversity is great. Now I can be reminded of the contributions of many other members of this site each month rather than look at the same person's photography every single month. I think the calendar is better this way, and I think the majority here would agree. Hey, if you want a copy of my personal calendar let me know. I've got a few extra. And yeah, what Gwen said.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:11 pm 
To clarify, we removed the limit a while back because I felt it better to leave it up to the discretion of the winner how they want to handle a scenario where they won more than their fair share. awilsondc actually won 8 months. I gave him a heads up about this and he agreed this wouldn't truly represent a community calendar. He chose to abdicate the closest months to the runner up. However, to allow for the most diverse representation of calendar pages we didn't bump up anyone more than once (or if they had already won a page). For example, joker got bumped up in August (very close race, lost by 1 vote), but we didn't feel it fair to bump him again in December, which allowed Josh in third place (and second place in 2 other months) to get the December calendar page. I actually used his cover submission which was a nearly identical photo, and which had lost the next closest race to Kenji (by 3 votes). The other option was to bump up Josh in November, but I felt his December photo was a better fit for the month. Catsp got bumped up to the calendar page in January. Cyclopath got bumped up in June. One comment I received at the social was this was one of the best calendars ever, at least in print, so all in the calendar should feel very proud. I think they are all very deserving photos, even second place which isn't easy to win either!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:54 pm 
Thanks for doing a great job, and it really is a "job", of conducting the creation and printing/distribution of the yearly community calendar, Tom. You handle it well in several key respects!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 5:31 pm 
awilsondc, joker, josh, Kenji, cyclopath - fabulous work, gentlemen. awilsondc, nice to meet you. keep that Sony busy. you definitely know how to handle it. Tom - I cannot thank you enough for your patience and perseverance, and what I believe to be a great call on your part to insure the calendar represented a broader "community" effort. Thanks as well for allowing me an opportunity to address the group. thanks as well to all the other contributors to the calendar, as well as those of you who brought the yummy food to the social. wink.gif BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."