Forum Index > Gear Talk > snowshoe strap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
leadmade

leadmade
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 2:54 pm 
Hi Hivemind!! I have the MSR snowshoe and they have been working fantastically. the straps are breaking, as plastic getting brittle with age. Has anyone successfully replace these with something else other than the same plastic straps? knowing i need to replace 8 to keep my pair of snowshoe functional, I don't want to spend $8 per pair of straps https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/snowshoe-accessories/msr-classic-snowshoe-strap-kit---12-in.-30-cm/07587.html?srd=true i have used my ski straps as a stop gap as the original straps broke in the field. if anyone has a cheap source of ski straps i'm also all ears. been seeing them about the same price or more per piece. thank you!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 am 
I don’t know, but I’ve had real good service by bringing in gear to the MSR repair shop in south Seattle. They fixed a guy’s snowshoes while I was there. (Free) worth a call though a bit of a drive... I got a new stove (free) and a bunch of stakes!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 8:38 am 
We had good luck with MSR in person also. A rivet had torn out of the footbed in an 20 year old snowshoe I had got at the REI loft. They replaced both for $5 apiece while we waited.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mattg7200

mattg7200
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 4:09 pm 
Hoover vacuum cleaner belts and a hole punch. Not quite as stretchy but work just fine.

leadmade

leadmade
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 4:12 pm 
thank you so much for the insight!

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 7:04 pm 
I've brought snowshoes to MSR on multiple occasions with varying results. First was told there was a 3 year warranty but I was only slightly outside of that so they fixed it anyway. The last experience was highly positive and they never asked about the time frame... however, it was a crampon issue and they have a new style so they are very aware of the old crampon style issue. (I left with a repaired snowshoe, new strap keepers and a brand new Reactor stove- unrelated to snowshoes). My take on this: They sell replacement straps. In 3 pairs of Lightnings over 10 years, the straps never wore out. I suspect this means they will not replace your straps in-house without a charge since you can just buy new ones. BUT: If your showshoes are older crampon style (with the longer gap between the two prongs), they may replace your crampons and it's possible those will be the straps- one of my current lightnings had crampon issues- I ended up with one new set of straps/crampons on that snowshoe. If you do bring them in and get new straps, I'd love to know!