Forum Index > Gear Talk > What do you do with old gear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:45 pm 
I know there's a trading thread, and if that's the verdict, feel free to move this. I have a bunch of old backpacking gear that I don't use. Not old enough to be vintage, like from the 80's and 90's. Things like gaz lanterns, canvas repair kits, compasses, mess kits, an old VE-25, etc. It all works just fine. Not sure if Goodwill is the right place, or if people like y'all collect or use that type of stuff. Would you hang onto it, is it garbage? Is it useful enough to donate? Need to de-packrat my gear closet. Thoughts?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am 
Luc wrote:
Not sure if Goodwill is the right place, or if people like y'all collect or use that type of stuff. Would you hang onto it, is it garbage? Is it useful enough to donate? Need to de-packrat my gear closet. Thoughts?
1) Offer it here for the cost of shipping, plus maybe a bit for your time packing/driving to USPS, etc. 2) If you happen to be going to the social, there was a "free" table there last time I attended. 3) Find someone in your circle of friends, acquaintances who would use it. 4) Take it to Goodwill, etc. SOMEone will eventually like it. That's about what I can think of.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:01 am 
bring it to the calendar social on the 20th

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am 
I have a closet full of old gear that has become over time either a shrine, a collection, or a museum, it just depends on how you look at it.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:56 pm 
I have donated some of my old gear to the boy scouts on a few occasions...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 pm 
Depends on the gear. I donate a lot of it to homeless camps. Those people have to live outside 365 days a year, they have more need for it than anybody who sleeps outside occasionally for fun. I found an old wool sweater from many years ago, I lost weight since and it doesn't fit me anymore. I remember really wanting it, searching high and low until I found just the right one. I kept that to remind me that the habits I developed when I lost weight are good for me.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am 
I generally hold on to it until it decomposes in the garage or closet, then throw it out. I don't think that's what you're looking for, though. embarassedlaugh.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:35 am 
It goes to a boy scout I am related to, or some young hiker girls that are my friends.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Luc

Luc
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:37 am 
Thanks for the input. Probably not going to make it to the social, so I'll compile my shtuff over the holiday and make a list, post it in the trade section. Then figure out where to donate.

GNGSTR
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 1:42 pm 
Luc wrote:
Thanks for the input. Probably not going to make it to the social, so I'll compile my shtuff over the holiday and make a list, post it in the trade section. Then figure out where to donate.
Check with the Scouts. I have seen pleas at times for gear from Scout groups. I am thinking they are Scouts now because they finally allowed girls to join. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:58 am 
Dont have a ton of "old" gear. I try to give away what I don't use.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 10:10 am 
Had a very old pair of ski pants from the late 60's. I had converted them into knickers. They are now changed again into shell "overgloves" for snow sports. The ski pants were made from Schoeller fabric that is 30% wool, 66% nylon, and 4% lycra. I added deer leather for the palms. They are quite supple and warm. Let it snow....

Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 pm 
I've gotten rid of some of it here on the Trade page. Sometimes I give it away, but mostly it just piles up in my basement. I recently threw a few things away. They had become so old and obsolete and were so beat up from long hard use, that I didn't feel too bad about it. This thread is a good reminder to post a few things on the Trade page here or Ebay. I have a couple backpacks and lot of stoves and cookwear I don't use any more.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 pm 
Sold on here, on CL or on eBay. Or donated or given away to friends..... I've repurposed my Golite packs to haul groceries... Dana Urban packs used as tool bags. I donated a beloved tent that was given to me by Yogi (PCT Handbook Yogi) a Henry Shires Virga went to SAR. A special tent that had good karma with it! Made me feel good it was to be used to help others.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 10:12 pm 
If you are trying to get rid of tents, tarps, or sleeping bags there are homeless people including women and elderly people waiting for emergency shelter opeinings who need them. PM me if you'd like to donate any of these items.