Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 53 % of California's population planning on leaving.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 12:22 pm 
I would be packing my bags if I lived there and had to go through the power outages How power shutoffs are changing California's way of life

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 1:16 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I would be packing my bags if I lived there and had to go through the power outages How power shutoffs are changing California's way of life
The little communities of Orleans and Somes Bar (Klamath River country) had to deal with brownouts and blackouts during the Enron fiasco. When the southern part of the state was having a heatwave, our power was cut off. The only warning was the brownout that wreaked havoc on appliances that happened before the blackout. Just the filament would be lit up in a light bulb making a dimming happen and then blackness. Needless to say, I invested in surge protectors as did most other people. Because power outages are a normal occurrence in that area during the winter, all the businesses have backup generators. In my neighborhood, we shared a portable generator to keep fridges cold. We had a few days of water stored in a large tank. Power went off during winter storms because a pole was located in a mud/rock slide area. During one stretch of bad weather, gas prices shot way up because the barge could not get into Humboldt bay so fuel had to come in from the east which made it quite a bit spendier for us. It is nothing new to the people who live in the Klamath and Salmon River areas. I still have my kerosene Aladdin lamps that I bought during that time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 1:55 pm 
Schroder wrote:
same problems in australia, germany, england. renewable is more accurately called intermittent. But at least it adds costs over and above the costs of the plants which are actually keeping the lights on 24/7/365...or were, before the improvements.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 7:59 pm 
non sequitur

don't believe everything you think
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 2:49 pm 
Just saw last night, Californias population is the lowest its been since the year 1900. People ARE leaving!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 3:00 pm 
No doubt, some people are leaving. But lowest population since 1900? I'll bet the farm and throw in the first born that that isn't the case.

don't believe everything you think
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 3:03 pm 
what?
Google wrote:
Our current estimate for California's population in 2019 is 39.75 million. At the last official United States census carried out in 2010, the population of California was declared at 37,253,956 which makes the state the most populous by a wide margin over 2nd place Texas (28 million).Jun 5, 2019

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 3:11 pm 
I say everyone should leave Southern Ca, split the state in two, north and south, and sell the southern half back to Mexico. The ones with money could move there from Mexico and leave the poor and criminals behind in old Mexico, of course they would have to build a wall on the south and east and patrol the coastline in order to keep out the ner do wells....definitely build a wall. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 pm 
Population was just less than 1.5m in 1900. Your source lives in fantasy land. Fifth largest global economy. It’s collapse would cause a global recession.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
neek

neek
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 5:21 pm 
Relax, he left out the words "growth rate"... an honest mistake.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am 
I just saw lies meant to brainwash the most ignorant people on earth! Let me post the stupid nonsense here so everyone will know just how gullible I am! Permanent ignore. Willful ignorance at that level either means evil or insanity. No normal person could believe such a stupid and obvious lie. Shame on the moderators here for allowing the spread of this sickness.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:44 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Sorry MG, your statement is misleading at best. I'd wager that you have no idea what PGE's energy source distribution is currently, or has been in recent years. I would also wager that you have no idea what PGE's energy source distribution was in areas affected by shutoffs. I challenge you to do better. https://www.pge.com/pge_global/common/pdfs/your-account/your-bill/understand-your-bill/bill-inserts/2019/1019-Power-Content-Label.pdf
There is not the slightest thing there which is untrue or misleading Not liking arguments doesn't make them either of your options. IF you can show factual errors in the argument, then do so. That costs for intermittent generation which is unable to produce dispatchable power on demand 24/7/365 is being added to grid in CA, and the places linked, is indeed factual. The idea that adding costs to the system are somehow not included in your bill, or that additional system doesn't add costs is a non starter. Perhaps that's not what you're arguing but it looks like it so far. As for other comments, discussing power when discussing power doesn't meet the defintion of a non sequitur.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 2:02 pm 
It doesn't matter how the power is generated. It is being cut off because tree limbs have fallen on the above ground powerlines, and fires started and PG&E sued. They can't afford law suits from their negligence--failure to trim trees along their lines, but can afford to cut power off. Doesn't matter if the power comes from a coal plant or a windmill, it still has to travel over the same exposed powerlines. My anecdote is that when I've lived in PUD power areas, I have seen their crews out trimming trees and working on their lines frequently. When I lived in the PG&E power grid, they were seldom to be found. When our power went out, we had to explain to somebody in Sacramento that the nearest road junction was five miles away and hope they understood our location. PUDs are more local, and you can often talk to a local person who knows their grid and what the problem probably is. I heard a boom once and the power went off. I called the Morton office of the PUD and talked to an engineer who knew exactly where and what happened. He said they were hoping it would last another year and they had budgeted for replacement the following year. It took them a day and a half to get the power on, and then the underground line was updated and replaced the next year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 6:06 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I just saw lies meant to brainwash the most ignorant people on earth! Let me post the stupid nonsense here so everyone will know just how gullible I am! Permanent ignore. Willful ignorance at that level either means evil or insanity. No normal person could believe such a stupid and obvious lie. Shame on the moderators here for allowing the spread of this sickness.
These sorts of comments appear to fulfill their own definition. Claiming that someone else is lying and evil, when we can't tell who you're talking about because there is not an actual argument included or even referenced, points to the kind of regal proclamation of supposed truth better left to the past, than retained into the future. Emotions arent arguments, and they're under your control. Or should be. Any such 'sickness' can be shown to be wrong, rather than censored on demand. It's better to treat people as equals and do so, rather than as subjects and decree no talking about the thing you don't like. It's funny, I was told the supposed arc of history bent towards justice but in reality if there is such an arc it bends more towards shut up cuz my feelings, the ultimate antidiscussion weapon

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It's funny, I was told the supposed arc of history bent towards justice but in reality if there is such an arc it bends more towards shut up cuz my feelings, the ultimate antidiscussion weapon
Funny how some whine to the moderators when they don't agree with something-and or their feelings are hurt.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.