Forum Index > Gear Talk > Danner hiking boots?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 8:03 pm 
sadly EVERYTHING is apparently made in China these days. (or Malaysia). bawl.gif Garmont, Keen, Montrail...all Chinese....I bet pretty much 99% of the non-Limmer boots are made in China. I was looking at some Lowa Renegades, a $200 boot at REI. Read reviews and its made in China construction has a habit of blowing its stitches in short order. What boots standard light hiking boots have you found that ARE made in the USA? I would certainly like to know (and confirm) that. The only thing I can say about the sadly Chinese made Danners, is the reviews seem more CONSISTENT on quality than a lot of other boots in the user reviews, and I have been reading multitudes of reviews in my recent quest. I am just crossing my fingers that Danner is STILL riding herd carefully on their Chinese source. I wear Keen sandals, but they don't quite fit my feet right, and I noticed the same rub spot on my little toe and odd feeling arch on the Keen hiking boots. My wife loves her Keen "hybrid" hikers. I admit I have very tough to fit feet!

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostThu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 pm 
i've got a pair of the mountain light 2. EE wide, thought they would be the anwser to all my wide flat feet problems but they weren't. 1) construction quallity is good but the internal design with the gortex is differant.they doen't use a traditional foot bed but rather come with their own type of plastic heel cup that put silver dollar blisters on my heels(first time in my life) so you might think take out the heel cup and put in some super feet liners-tried that but the toe box isn't designed for the extra capacity. should note that when i got the blisters i was carring 40 lbs.

hikes and climbs with malamute
bleeper

bleeper
PostWed Feb 11, 2009 3:39 pm 
Have you considered the shoe boxes themselves? Wearin' boxes without topses? Clementines are still in season, right?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Feb 11, 2009 8:01 pm 
I have cut off anything but lurking on nwhikers...except I also don't like to leave loose ends in my life....so to wrap up my Danners report.... Shoe boxes didn't have good arch support, although the toe box was about right. Aftermarket insoles kept sliding around in the boxes. Waterproofness was less than stellar also. They lasted as long as some of the Chinese made light hikers though. hockeygrin.gif Seems like the Danner "mountain lights" are almost the only boot anyone on the forum has tried in the Danner lineup. Its a heavy duty, stiff backpacking boot. Overkill for a wimpy dayhiker like me with only 15 mile hikes and 15 pound day packs with my 195 body weight. I received my Danner Pursuit 6" tall GTX goretex boots today. Those Special Ops guys really know their stuff. I think I am in love. wub.gif At least based on my first impression. A LONG search found a reliable and cheap source, and the size 11 EE (sized for lighter non-winter use socks and the wide toe box allowed me to fit shorter). Only $95 as shipped and yes thats in goretex. SUPERlight Danner hikers Only 2.5 pounds in my boat size(sic), with GREAT ankle support, and they seem very stable and grippy. Suprisingly stiff arch area and initally seems well cushioned. (I jumped around on the rock garden in my yard). The stock insoles are well cushioned but less arch and floppier than I prefer, so I am swapping those out for my old yaks traks Stable trax insoles for now. Daner Pursuits are NOT made for a 40 pound pack or tromping through deep snow all day. But for about the weight of a trail runner, you get GREAT ankle support and Goretex. cool.gif Did I get it across that I NEED great ankle support and low cut trail runners are NOT an option for me? And Limmers are NOT an option either? rolleyes.gif I am hoping they are at least as durable as all the other chinese made light hikers (i.e. ALL of them) and maybe a bit better. Hoping that cops and Special Ops using these as daily wear forces the quality control expectations up a wee bit. BTW, my "heavy duty" Danner 453's are breaking in nicely, and I may not even replace the factory insoles. Toughest part to break in is the ankle is a bit stiff at the top. The footbed is heavenly and seems bullet proof for dayhiking. (exceed my dayhiking loaded weight of maybe up to 220pounds and you are on your own.) Thats my viewpoint on Danners for WIDE FEET people like me...for the 3 people that haven't blocked me with "ignore" on this forum already. I will give a followup on durbability and how they do on long rocky dayhikes for ME, so the two remaining people that haven't set "ingore" on me can read it if they want to. smile.gif

friluftsliv
bleeper

bleeper
PostWed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 pm 
Darn, I thought the box idea was a winner. Back to the drawing board... Hold it, what? There is an ignore button? Holy schnike! I think I'll use that on my own posts - save me the trouble of readin' 'em. Oh yeah - I'm going to maximize my efficiency.

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 pm 
I'm on my 4th pair of Danner Quarry boots for demolition work. Ten hours a day 40-60 hours a week.... The most comfortable boot I've owned besides the Raichle Montagna boot. I've been thinking about going for a pair for hiking. Maybe the Quarry without the steel toe???

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 1:05 pm 
I once had a pair of leather Danner work boots--no steel toe and wore holes in heel within a couple of months. I was working on steep ground and pumice soils, I think. Later, I bought a pair of their hiking boots that were not all leather and they lasted and had no problems. I did not use them for work. I was going to get another pair after those had worn out, but they quit making that model. Sigh. I now have Hokas.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
pcg

pcg
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 8:57 am 
boot up wrote:
I was looking at some Lowa Renegades, a $200 boot at REI. Read reviews and its made in China construction has a habit of blowing its stitches in short order.
That's true, but I discovered a fix for that - seam seal all the stitches. Most comfortable boot I've ever owned.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 am 
The Danner "Quarry" model, while not hiking boots, I think they're a good judge of durability of the brand. Doing demolition boots are subjected to harsh conditions, all seasons, sometimes indoors only but never the less harsh. Working on concrete slab, in mud, hot/cold/wet/dry possibly the same day, amongst concrete rubble with rebar, in or amongst piles of mixed demo debris, etc. While they survive ten hour days/40-60 hour weeks they do sustain some battle damage:
Other brands I've tried and have been happy with are the Timberland Pro and the Thorogood boots. But overall the Danner's are the "go to boots." I think I've done a WTA work party or two with the Timberland Pro's.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 1:11 pm 
We're Danner people. Husband uses them for work in a steel plant, and they last 2+ years typically. Everything else he's managed to destroy in ~6 months. My feet are a flat weird mess (runs in the family) and the extra stability & support of Danners is what keeps me out there. Money well spent.

~Mom jeans on wheels
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 4:16 pm 
Danner still makes some hiking and work boots and shoes in the United states. Neal's shoes in Wenatchee carries them. Not cheap but very nice.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 1:17 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
Danner still makes some hiking and work boots and shoes in the United states. Neal's shoes in Wenatchee carries them. Not cheap but very nice.
I did not know that Neal's was still in business. Good for them. I bought my first pair of Whites there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities