Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The "Gentrification" of REI
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Washakie

Washakie
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 1:03 pm 
I remember the old store well. I wish I could bottle the creasote smell from the old wood floor. Good memories. Today the smell would be considered a carciigin. Maybe it is.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 2:12 pm 
I buy nearly all my clothes (except socks, shoes, and underwear) at thrift stores, especially Value Village where on Tuesdays, those age 55+ get 30% off everything. Plus I get a 20% lifetime discount at Fred Meyer for my many years of service. So, REI has never been a place where I would shop. With all the new Millennial Hikers, I would think their business is still making money.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 2:42 pm 
For some, paying way to much for something is a status symbol, not a sign of stupidity.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:07 pm 
Its good to have some stores with over-priced things ( or just expensive luxuries ). The rich will then have more options for putting their money back into the economy. I survive solely on well-off people buying my paintings. I wish they would buy more ...but that's my constant business/marketing challenge that baffles me still!. REI does not fall into the 'needs' department like say a grocery store does. I buy there rarely and very carefully. It feels very expensive for my income bracket. My sister scores half my outdoor gear for me at eastside thrift stores. Thanks sister!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm 
I don't know why anybody would spend $300 on a rescue beacon when smoke signals are free. Get off my lawn!!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:59 pm 
I hardly think one person’s sticker shock on a few items that happen to be on display one day can be used to draw conclusions about REI’s affordability. There are lots of expensive things for sale at REI, I don’t buy them. When I wanted a carbon fiber kayak paddle, I bought it at REI, based on price and available selection. Yes, they sell cheaper paddles at Walmart.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:43 pm 
REI is pretty much in the middle price point for comparable gear. Boutiques are higher discounters lower. I do not really see the big deal.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:01 pm 
Gentrification for me also means profit maximization without regard to the impact on our society. I would like to have the opportunity to buy more products made in the USA or in like-minded democratic countries with similar rules for labor, environment, and social impacts. It's one of the reasons I'm turning more to our cottage manufacturers.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:07 pm 
REI just sells at MSRP, making it no different from any large retailer. Shouldn't this topic be called "the gentrification of the outdoor industry" - ie, that it's gone mainstream? The issue is about outdoor gear becoming status symbols. REI might have helped that happen, but so did a lot of things. (Insert blaming of Instagram here...)

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 8:24 pm 
It is true you can hike well without expensive gear. Even in snow you can easily use old clothes.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:04 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I hardly think one person’s sticker shock on a few items that happen to be on display one day can be used to draw conclusions about REI’s affordability.
It wasn't just "a few items". I did a quick look around the non-sale racks, too. Whew! But my comments were mostly directed at clothing prices. Specialty gear, that's another universe. To be fair, I scored an unbelievable deal at REI several years ago, by serendipity. Wandered into their "returns" section. There was one pair of Italian Zamberlan hiking boots similar to my old Raichles, which weren't comfortable any longer because of foot issues. I wasn't shopping for boots that day, and these fit perfectly. Paid less than $200 and the MSRP at the time was around $400. It's been an interesting discussion. Thanks to treeswarper for mentioning Sierra Trading Post; I'd never heard of that outfit.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:59 pm 
Sierra was great. Amazing prices, selection, and return policy. After they got bought by TJX (TJMaxx, Marshalls, Home Goods) that all changed and it hasn't been the same since. https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sierra_Trading_Post/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 10:38 pm 
^ well... on that note, Anne, maybe you should check out a Marshalls. seriously.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 10:54 pm 
A few years ago I picked up the finest pair of sunglasses I have ever owned - Serengeti Fasano Photochromic Sunglasses. It was around the time STP was acquired by TJX and I was scrambling to use up a STP credit voucher that was expiring due the change in return policy. Truly amazing sunglasses. Excellent clarity. No matter how much I abused them they wouldn't scratch. I think I finally abused them enough to get a light scratch on one of the lenses. I've owned expensive sunglasses before and there is no comparison. They are the real deal. https://www.sierra.com/serengeti-fasano-photochromic-sunglasses-polarized-polar-phd-lenses~p~6061f/

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:36 pm 
I remember my first trip to REI. It was to work on building the first one in the Detroit area. When I asked what REI was, my boss said sporting goods for rich people. I went to the grand opening and couldn't figure out who in the detroit area was into climbing and camping. Place was always packed though. I go once or twice a year to use my dividend + 20% off coupon. Got a thermarest last year. Also scored a pair of carbon fiber atomic backlands for well over 50% off at alderwood rei. Very random lucky find, as that was exactly what I was after, in my size, and the only pair they had. I mostly use the downtown location for free parking to go to feathered friends.