Forum Index > Trip Reports > bright angel to hermit's rest + horseshoe mesa, GCNP - 11.14 - 11.16.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 am 
An accidental side trip to Plateau Point is not a bad thing - it's an awesome view from there. I've seen the resident ringtail at the Bright Angel trailhead, but only at night. Were you boondocking in your CRV in the GC parking lots? If so, did you get any grief from the rangers? I've thought of doing that in my RAV4.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 8:11 pm 
graywolf wrote:
Were you boondocking in your CRV in the GC parking lots?
No, I stayed at Mather Campground. There were plenty of open spots when I was there. I've read that GCNP rangers do enforce the "camping in designated campsites only" rule.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 10:17 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
graywolf wrote:
Were you boondocking in your CRV in the GC parking lots?
No, I stayed at Mather Campground. There were plenty of open spots when I was there. I've read that GCNP rangers do enforce the "camping in designated campsites only" rule.
That makes sense - I would have been very surprised if they had relaxed their rules regarding camping.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 pm 
There's forest service lands, and roads, near the South Rim, but I've never tried dispersed camping there. Also, outside of the park on the North Rim. I've heard reports of nice views there from some of those dispersed sites on the "East Rim".

Off trail rambler
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
There's forest service lands, and roads, near the South Rim, but I've never tried dispersed camping there. Also, outside of the park on the North Rim. I've heard reports of nice views there from some of those dispersed sites on the "East Rim".
Yeah, I've read about those. I'm particularly intrigued by the ones on the "East Rim", as well as the one about 20 minutes east of the South Rim main complex. We just bought a used class b RV, so plan on checking them out next year.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 pm 
Also worth mentioning: pay showers in the South Rim laundromat, and at the Marble Canyon (Lee's Ferry) laundromat.

Off trail rambler
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 1:43 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Also worth mentioning: pay showers in the South Rim laundromat, and at the Marble Canyon (Lee's Ferry) laundromat.
Yup, checked out the Mather campground showers last time we were there. Our RV has both inside and outside showers if we need them.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 8:10 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
There's forest service lands, and roads, near the South Rim, but I've never tried dispersed camping there.
On my first trip to the Grand Canyon in 1989 I was planning on sleeping in my truck in a south rim parking lot. When a ranger politely informed me that I couldn't spend the night there (also assuring me that he would require the big RV there to move on), I drove to a secluded spot in the woods a mere pinecone throw's distance outside the park. Simple. I think the rule is to strongly encourage visitors to patronize the concessionaire campgrounds as well as to keep the parking lots from smelling like latrines. 😏

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:03 pm 
graywolf wrote: An accidental side trip to Plateau Point is not a bad thing - it's an awesome view from there There are many "Plateau Points" along the Tonto Plateau, and typically solitude is a sure thing. Two of my favorites are just west of the mouth of Hance Creek and west of the mouth of Salt Creek.

Off trail rambler
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:36 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
graywolf wrote: An accidental side trip to Plateau Point is not a bad thing - it's an awesome view from there There are many "Plateau Points" along the Tonto Plateau, and typically solitude is a sure thing. Two of my favorites are just west of the mouth of Hance Creek and west of the mouth of Salt Creek.
up.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 9:36 pm 
Very nice pictures. Great TR. Thanks!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:57 am 
Great photos, Rubywrangler; so many with the lighting "just right". I've only been to Arizona once, a road trip involving a social call, and I had to make choices. Deliberately excluded the Grand Canyon as I knew that would be a trip in itself. But I did get to see Canyon de Chelly, and some cool stuff around Payson. Your TR reminds me that I need to get down there again, just to see the GC. Thanks for the great report.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood