Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The "Gentrification" of REI
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 1:00 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
When I asked what REI was, my boss said sporting goods for rich people.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about REI..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 2:09 pm 
In some ways it seem like REI is trying to cover too many outdoor pursuits, and not serving their traditional core areas as well. A full third of many regional stores is cycling gear. With the shoe and clothing sections it leaves limited space for Backpacking and Climbing gear. There are some things they do very well. Water treatment options, sleeping pads, and stoves are still usually well stocked with lots of options. REI has been slow in supporting light weight backpacking, with more focus on family campground gear. This year they now carrying Hyperlight Mountain Gear and the lighter Osprey packbacks which is encouraging. REI is still best local source for outdoor gear. Ultimately their prices need to be competitive with the internet retailers. Some gear like packs, pads, down sleeping bags, and tents are expensive. But there is no need to replace them for many years.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 2:48 pm 
There's nothing wrong with REI selling and servicing bikes. Bikes are recreational equipment which is what the r and e stand for.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 5:01 pm 
With REI's membership kickback, I can buy my shoes for less. I can't seem to find my size and preferred model on sale, ever, anywhere. The kickback makes me cheerier.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 7:37 pm 
OK, Boomer. Seriously, this topic has been discussed for the last 20 years or more - REI swapping out gear for fashion. The "Virtue Signalling" by REI in the last decade or so has been disgusting. Also, don't forget the anti-2A stance by REI which has been downright anti-American. REI, we just wanted you to sell us gear. Nothing more. Avoid REI. America doesn't need a company like this. REI credit card snip, snip. Go there to try on clothes, then order them online somewhere else.