Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Ram Dass 1931-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:04 am 
Ski Sorry to stir up such memories. I hope your road is smoother now. The Nut Tree will do that to people.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:18 am 
Neek, you're chumming now and looking to get me tossed off the site.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:12 pm 
contour5 wrote:
lol.gif Grew up in Memphis biggrin.gif

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 1:21 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Sorry to stir up such memories. I hope your road is smoother now.
Not at all... not at all... I have great memories of the Nut Tree... notwithstanding the silly miniature train they had circling the grounds. Years later, my father went back there and bought my younger sister and me souvenir wood trivets so we would be forever reminded of that adventure.
Nut Tree
Nut Tree
I try to stay on the less traveled road, but for reasons I'm not sure I understand I keep getting waylaid.
neek wrote:
No speculation around what he was reincarnated as?
I'm not really awake enough right now to even hazard a wild guess. We could start a betting pool on it, since the one in the "Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road" thread didn't get any traction when Randy suggested it. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, though. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 1:55 pm 
Ski wrote:
We could start a betting pool on it, since the one in the "Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road" thread didn't get any traction when Randy suggested it.
The problem then becomes how much acid do you need to take to come up with proof. (Science is tricky like that.)

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 3:41 pm 
neek wrote:
Ski wrote:
We could start a betting pool on it, since the one in the "Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road" thread didn't get any traction when Randy suggested it.
The problem then becomes how much acid do you need to take to come up with proof. (Science is tricky like that.)
Too much acid is no bueno. There is a fine line between enough and too much and, unfortunately, it's usually impossible to tell where that line is until it's too late. Imbibing LSD in an attempt to attain proof of something other than whether you had enough or too much seems futile. This is indeed a strange thread. I must assume that there are several comments/posts that have been deleted. I don't know much about Ram Dass, but Frank Zappa is the man even if much of his music doesn't really do it for me. I guess it's enough that some does, and I at least understand his message most of the time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 4:07 pm 
Ski, in a previous post wrote:
"...my old man had lost damn near every dime he had on a roulette wheel..."
My apologies for getting my geographic wires crossed there. We weren't anywhere near any roulette wheels on that trip. He lost all his money on the ponies at Golden Gate Fields. I'll reach out to my sister and see if she can recall any further details. Clearly old age and psychotropic substances have taken their toll on my memory.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:27 pm 
I remember Golden Gate fields. Wasn't it right off the bay just north of Berkeley?

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:32 pm 
I also remember that an art professor at Berkeley had his students create sculpture on the tidal mud from drift wood. You could see it as you drove by on the freeway.Some of it was really interesting.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:39 pm 
And about the acid. Ken Kesey told me to stay away from it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 9:13 pm 
Washaskie wrote:
I remember Golden Gate fields. Wasn't it right off the bay just north of Berkeley?
It might have been Bay Meadows. We weren't old enough then to go to the track, so my sister and I spent our afternoons riding up and down in the elevators or swimming in the pool at the motel. I've sent her a note asking for more details, but her memory is sometimes worse than mine. I'll ask my mom for more details when she gets back home. She's on a cruise ship right now tooling around in the Caribbean somewhere. She called me the other day from Ft. Lauderdale. Seems the ship had to go back to port to restock on liquor. I'm surprised I was able to find that "Nut Tree" trivet in this mess here. I couldn't find the old man's wallet with his clubhouse passes in it - that might have offered a clue.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 10:08 pm 
I grew up in San Mateo and the first house my wife and I bought was about a half a mile from the track. I was told later in life that Shoemaker used to ride there before it went 100% harness. It was a great place and time.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:03 pm 
Contour5 - in re the "World's Greatest Sinner" post - I've watched it 3 times and am not convinced that's really Frank, 'tho there's some resemblance. Can't tell with the washed-out, shaky video. The music must be an overdub - watch the musicians. There's no source info on the Youtube web page. Maybe if a devotee like Washakie is convinced, it must be so. lol.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
contour5

contour5
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:03 pm 
I remember shooting model rockets horizontally, along the road that goes out to Berkeley Marina, with my brother, back in the 1980s. It was awesome and we discussed plans for mounting horizontal launching tubes on the motorcycles. Fortunately we never got around to quite that level of stupidity.

contour5

contour5
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:53 pm 
Quote:
re the "World's Greatest Sinner"
Well, the music is definitely FZ; it's a pretty well known track from the Cucamunga sessions from PAL/StudioZ. I'm guessing the vocalist is Ray Collins ? But I sure could be wrong. As for the video? I just found it on a search for "Zappa sinner". I have no clue as to the actual provenance of the video but it looks like something Frank might have done. He made a lot of films and videos... Check out "grunion"!
Frank did a lot of doo-wop and surf music as well as some really bizarre novelty tunes before the Mothers took off.