Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Ram Dass 1931-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 am 
First time I saw Zappa, Ray was still with him. It was at the original Fillmore. For some reason he had two chubby bearded fat guys in tutus dancing to the songs on the sides of the stage. It was before his first album came out. Changed my life (not the guys in tutus).

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:18 am 
excellent. "Grunion Run" was apparently a big hit in Mexico. the mention of surf music brought this classic to mind. Dick Dale's got nothin' on these guys:
need more surf music? click here

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 am 
Another thrilling Zappa highlight.... When my oldest son went to live in L.A. to become a rock star, he took a job as a telemarketer. One day his call sheet included a number that happened to be Frank's (the list had numbers only, no names). Frank listened politely and declined the timeshare offer. My son did tell him how much his dad enjoyed his music. Still no sale. That's like a close encounter of the tenth kind.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:56 am 
If you are a Hendrex fan, linsten to 3rd Stone From The Sun on his first album (at least on the British version). It is mostly instrumental with one of the lines saying something like "I hope never to hear surf music again".

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 2:29 am 
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 2:49 am 
You're hired Ski.

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 7:20 pm 
Ref. Contour 5's earlier post, As I recall, Burt Ward played Robin in the old Batman tv show.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 pm 
Yes he did. Not sure if that's the same Burt Ward. The Burt Ward who played "Robin" in the original television series used to make appearances locally, sometimes at the B&I Circus Store at 82nd & South Tacoma Way. (Yes, the same one where Bob Irwin kept Ivan the Gorilla inside a glass box for 27 years until the local citizenry raised so much hell he had to turn it over to a real zoo.) RIP Ivan the Gorilla 1962-2012

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm 
As an aside, the original Batmobile was on display at the 'Auto-Rama" car show in the Kingdome years ago. George Barris customized a 1955 Lincoln Futura, and made some radical changes to the car, among them replacing the engine with a 390 CID "FE" engine from a later Ford Galaxie. They loosened the lower valve cover bolts, allowing oil to seep down onto the exhaust manifolds, which made huge clouds of smoke, one of the reasons that shots of the Batmobile in motion were of short duration - the driver couldn't breathe. The Batmobile sold for $4.2 million on January 19, 2013

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm 
contour5 wrote:
As for the video? I just found it on a search for "Zappa sinner". I have no clue as to the actual provenance of the video but it looks like something Frank might have done. He made a lot of films and videos...
It's a dub over a piece from the movie, "World's Greatest Sinner" (@25 minutes). There's some prescient moments in here, or perhaps the more things change, the more the stay the same. That's Timothy Carey on stage. FZ composed the music. https://ok.ru/video/785209035406

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 10:13 pm 
Perhaps an early Andy Kaufman/Tony Clifton thing? (Another unique performer)