Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 53 % of California's population planning on leaving.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 9:04 am 
Just FYI, it sounds like a "giant battery" will be constructed near Bridgeport. Water from the Columbia will be pumped uphill during times of low power usage, and then allowed to flow back down through a generator when more power is needed. Shell Oil is backing the project. Battery

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 10:18 am 
Water is pumped up to the Grand Coulee, then back through turbines that drain into Roosevelt in the same manner. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 10:34 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
It's very clear that you are trying to attribute the California PGE shutoffs to renewable energy sources, since you were replying to a comment that was specifically about displacement due to the PGE shutoffs.
I was commenting upon the larger issues with PGE and these additional arguments were not intended to address the fire issues. The topic is people leaving CA, a sub issue is power system instability and this one is my assertion of what other instabilities they are facing, not just due to fires.
Doppelganger wrote:
Now let's look at your next reply, where you completely drop any reference to renewable sources and how they may have directly attributed to the PGE shutoffs (as I challenged you to show), and instead just go an a ramble/rant with some soft anti-renewable talking points:
I didn't claim fire related shutoff were due to intermittent energy generation, even though there may be increased susceptibilities because of all the extra lines/infrastructure which must be added. You challenged me to show something on the basis of an assertion I did not make. I'm not responsible for defending arguments I didn't make. Calling arguments talking points does not make them untrue. I do appreciate the detailed breakdown of your approach, it make it easier to respond.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Water is pumped up to the Grand Coulee, then back through turbines that drain into Roosevelt in the same manner. Best.
Banks Lake.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:10 pm 
I thought Banks Lake sits in the Grand Coulee.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
I thought Banks Lake sits in the Grand Coulee.
It's in a coulee, for sure. I looked it up and it is in the Grand Coulee. It's used for irrigation as well.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:41 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It's used for irrigation as well.
Banks Lake is the feeder reservoir for the Columbia Basin Irrigation project -- that is it's primary purpose. There are 12 pump turbines for raising water from Lake Roosevelt to Banks lake and just 2 reversible pump turbines that can generate power by draining water from Banks Lake to Lake Roosevelt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Coulee_Dam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Basin_Project#Grand_Coulee_Dam_Complex_and_Lake_Roosevelt Also
Quote:
According to the federal Bureau of Reclamation the yearly value of the Columbia Basin Project is $630 million in irrigated crops, $950 million in power production, $20 million in flood damage prevention, and $50 million in recreation.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 3:54 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
It's used for irrigation as well.
Banks Lake is the feeder reservoir for the Columbia Basin Irrigation project -- that is it's primary purpose. There are 12 pump turbines for raising water from Lake Roosevelt to Banks lake and just 2 reversible pump turbines that can generate power by draining water from Banks Lake to Lake Roosevelt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Coulee_Dam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Basin_Project#Grand_Coulee_Dam_Complex_and_Lake_Roosevelt Also
Quote:
According to the federal Bureau of Reclamation the yearly value of the Columbia Basin Project is $630 million in irrigated crops, $950 million in power production, $20 million in flood damage prevention, and $50 million in recreation.
Thank you for man splaining.

neek

neek
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 4:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Thank you for man splaining.
It's one word ("mansplaining"). FYI.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:03 am 
Could this be a result of the migration? People who do not understand the ways of snowplows? We are now having the type of winter that I would call "normal". Snowplowers Threatened