Forum Index > Trail Talk > Kendal road = dog poop trail :-(
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 11:14 pm 
Is this normal, or did I just pick the wrong day? I skied to the top, and much of the way back down. There were two or three dozen piles of dog poop on the trail, sometimes on the side, occasionally in the middle. All the way up. Not in bags. I walked the last mile or so down to make sure I wouldn't fall into any. I'm not inclined to ever do this one again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 pm 
I'm really sorry you had this experience. frown.gif Irresponsible dog owners give the rest of us a bad name. I haven't had that experience on that road/trail and in fact I was just there on Sunday. We met several dogs along the way but there were no bags, no poop left behind.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 11:39 pm 
We used to call it the realm of brown lister, same as it ever was.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 am 
There is an eight page long thread on Turns-all-year.com ranting about dog poop on the route from Alpental Lot 4 to Source Lake. http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=35412.0

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 am 
There is a woman who routinely goes out with 5 large unleashed dogs on to trails that are supposed to be on leash. Like Bandera Mountain a couple of weeks ago. I should imagine that pack leaves behind a lot of poop!

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 9:19 am 
Unfortunately it's not uncommon.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 12:28 pm 
I mentioned this in a trip report on my website for Kendall Lakes on 12-30. It was the worst I have ever seen on one trail. We counted 13 piles on our way down. Renamed this route the "Kendall Krapwalk".

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm 
y'all need to find a hobby when the weather's crappy like this

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 pm 
Same with the PCT-N at Stevens Pass. It’s awful. I helped the USFS out a few times, taking snowshoer groups there, and unless there was fresh snowfall, it was lined with poop. Not a great way to show first-timers how wonderful snowshoeing can be.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 3:49 pm 
As a dog owner myself, I find that the vast majority of dog owners don't even use a leash when hiking on the VERY busy trails, so it doesn't surprise me. Then we see postings on here and on FB about lost dogs that 'Just got away'. People will be people. I'd rather see dog mess than see a bag of dog mess though.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm 
Well it sounds like this is the norm, and I'm better off skiing elsewhere. I don't think most dog people are jerks, for the record. I'm new to BC skiing, my background is groomed trails without snowshoe trenches, where it's easier to bed in control. I fell at the top. The possibility of falling into something nasty took a lot of the enjoyment out of the trip. If this wasn't such a marginal year for snow, there would be a lot more places to ski. I have a few in mind that probably don't see many visitors, and I'd rather go there. If anybody has suggestions I'm all ears.

mosey

mosey
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 4:55 pm 
Ski wrote:
y'all need to find a hobby when the weather's crappy like this
QFE dog crap on blown up trails doesn't even get to me anymore. I tossed a few baggies I'd collected on someone's hood recently when they left them from their 5 dogs along the side of the trail going up, but that's about as much as you can do. Wilderness education and not littering just doesn't do anything, if there's no consequences some people will choose to be selfish, this is not a new problem. I'd suggest a nice trip to the Seattle Central Library map room and browsing those giant topos.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rossb

rossb
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm 
It's not normal for the winter. I rarely encounter it. I ski Kendall lakes about 50 times a year, and I can't remember ever running across poop. I'll admit though, I tend to do Kendall when it is snowy, and avoid it on weekends. Still, I think you just ran across it on a bad day. But in the Spring, it can be terrible. Basically all that frozen poop melts, which means it can get very disgusting. I would not recommend doing it as a Spring ski trip (the type where you carry your skis a little ways).

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 8:49 pm 
Man and I thought packing out a dozen chocolate bags off Skyline under the spring thaw was bad. Streaks of caramel, yuck! Any kind folks bag that up?