Forum Index > Trail Talk > Current snowshoe hikes for kids
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 pm 
I took my 8 year old out to artist piont this weekend for her first snowshoe trip and she is hooked. Any suggestions for this week?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm 
Anything along the I-90 corridor if you like freezing rain hockeygrin.gif

rossb

rossb
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 4:03 pm 
Hard to beat Artist Point for views, but Kendall Lakes road is fairly easy and safe. The drive is pretty short (assuming you live in the Seattle area). Foss River Road is also pretty good. Parts of it have avalanche danger, so check conditions -- in general it should be pretty safe. There are snowmobiles on the lower parts, and the road to Tonga Ridge, but if you stay to the right, and just follow the road, you can avoid all that. There might not be that much snow, so you might be able to drive all the way to the gate. If you don't mind a drive, then Paradise is spectacular (similar to Artist Point). Like Artist Point, you can wander around a lot, instead of essentially following a road until you get up there (like my other suggestions). You do need to carry chains though (sometimes they check, and won't let you in without them). Check to make sure it is open. With all these suggestions, try and avoid walking in ski tracks.

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 6:22 pm 
We've done Kendall Peak Lakes. Easy snowshoe. Gold Creek Pond and environs is even easier

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 6:42 pm 
Gold Creek Pond is gorgeous on a clear day. It's flat like a pancake and pretty short, I've used it to introduce people (especially non hikers) to snow play.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 7:04 pm 
Yeah, good point (forgot about Gold Creek). It is definitely a good one.

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 8:46 pm 
Parts of the Iron Horse are good too, but the tunnel will be closed.

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 11:46 pm 
I have a dumb question about that... the eastern side of the tunnel has big "Jurassic Park" style doors which close fully, but IIRC, the western side is just a chainlink fence. How do they clear the snow that inevitably ends-up in the tunnel in the spring or do they just wait? Does the warmth from outside melt the snow that is in there? Asking as someone who should really know this...

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 11:05 am 
Gold Creek Pond is by far the most popular kid snowshoe in the area. It's also the most crowded, especially on weekends and holidays. We've done snowshoes at Salmon Ridge (along the Nooksack on Hwy 542 just before you head up to Artist Point - it's pretty low, so some years doesn't get enough snow.). We've also enjoyed Pipe Creek and Old Blewett Sno-Parks. Old Blewett I actually like better, but on weekends it's full of snowmobilers and you will have trouble finding parking. There is a neat trail through the woods, though, and you can head out in the flats without avalanche danger for quite a ways. Pipe Creek is more forest with gentle elevation gain, but it's really quiet, as snowmobilers aren't allowed. We've also snowshoed out at Kachess Dam Road (across the freeway from Lake Easton SP) and up the Smithbrook Road (Hwy 2). Here is a link to my website with more trail descriptions, links, maps and directions. http://www.thehikermama.com/winter-snowshoes/

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Cody s

Cody s
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 pm 
Can I snowshoe northbound on the pct from stevens and avoid the ski resort? Where would I end up after a mile or so? Isnt there a lake somewhere up there. I've only done it in the summer.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 5:25 pm 
Cody s wrote:
Can I snowshoe northbound on the pct from stevens and avoid the ski resort? Where would I end up after a mile or so? Isnt there a lake somewhere up there. I've only done it in the summer.
Skyline Lake is in that area, but it's kind of up the ridge following a road/trail, not along the PCT. Looks like about a mile to get to the lake.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 am 
I second the Skyline Lake suggestion. It's short but there is some elevation to gain. The lake is nice. Also Lanham Lake a bit farther East by the Nordic ski area. Hurricane Ridge is nice on the peninsula.