Forum Index > Trail Talk > Alpine Lakes being loved to death
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Would banning dogs on the trails in the ALW north of I-90 change your hiking habits?
If I can't take my dog, I would go hike somewhere that I could take him/her
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
I would leave fido or fluffy at home and go hike there anyway
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 8:38 am 
Cats make great sar companions. http://carca.ca/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:31 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Does this include the increasingly popular Canis Lupus?
Sure. Let's pass a law telling wolves they're not allowed within these borders. We can also make a law saying poison ivy isn't allowed to make people itch.
Don't forget ticks

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:34 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
It would be simpler to continue education efforts, and if dog damage is against a regulation, enforce that regulation
How on Earth do you propose to do that? An officer every 50 feet on the trail? DNA testing for the dozens of piles of dog poop everywhere, fingerprint the bags? This is the least simple proposal in the entire thread.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 pm 
Relax. Everyone is so damn gleefully jumpy to be angry and shove fingers in faces around here. "Oh yeah?" "Yeah." "well prove it!" "how about I knock you down." "I will." "well what are you waiting for, your mama?" "No I'm waiting for your face to stop being so ugly." embarassedlaugh.gif Nothing in this thread is serious, including my post. The point is, that if the OPs idea were to be implemented, enforcement would require regulation, patrol, and staff as mine -every 50 feet in the trail, as you pointed out. Plus the OPs plan would polarize dog owners to the extreme. My idea requires the same enforcement, but a bit less extreme extent of polarization of dog owners.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:51 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
When I hiked to Snow Lake, a bird landed in my buddy's hand looking for food. That's bad.
Most likely a gray jay aka camp robber aka whiskey jack. First time I ever encountered them was about 1990 and they were landing on people back then, too. They are extremely bold and unafraid of humans, always have been as far as I know. Nothing new there.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 pm 
Last summer we hiked to Snow Lake after having not done so for several decades. We enjoyed it. Yeah there were other people on the trail - so what. And if there were any poop piles they were so few that I have no recollection of seeing any at all. From the lake we wandered off to explore an area I wanted to visit for many years. We were completely alone - in a mega ripe huckleberry area. We did not see or hear anyone until we returned to the lake and visited with a ranger who was getting ready to set up camp to keep an eye on things over the coming weeked. I expect we will repeat the trip next summer with an earlier start and explore a bit further beyond the end of the narrow user trail we followed.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
When I hiked to Snow Lake, a bird landed in my buddy's hand looking for food. That's bad.
Most likely a gray jay aka camp robber aka whiskey jack. First time I ever encountered them was about 1990 and they were landing on people back then, too. They are extremely bold and unafraid of humans, always have been as far as I know. Nothing new there.
I've had Gray Jays eat from my hand in the '70s

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Darn you, it was your fault. You trained them 50 years ago and generations of them since have been doing this. rolleyes.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 am 
Brian R wrote:
If a certain area code has its way, everything will soon be illegal in Washington State. rolleyes.gif
If a certain area code had it's way, something would still be illegal.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:18 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
In Grand Park, north of Mt Rainier, I had to eat lunch defensively. If I was careless, a jay would grab the sandwich out of my hand. At least once, I got in a tug of war with one. I had a good grip on it and wouldn't let go, but neither would the jay, and its grip was as good as mine. ..... We wound up tearing and sharing. embarassedlaugh.gif .............................................................. When I was a kid, we had a cat named Tagalong. agree.gif That pretty much tells the story. When we went for a walk after dinner, she would ..... No special commands needed. She just went where we did, when we did. Much better than a dog, really. No stopping and sniffing.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:13 pm 
let them hike it. The resource can 'survive' the usage just fine. There is no 'right' to to expect solitude or even an uncrowded trail 50 miles from millions of people along a 4 lane interstate. trees grow back, so does heather. It is far better to have a sacrificial anode which is easy to get to, and to produce funding support for wilderness and trails, than close down or interfere with access in yet another way....which merely pushes the usage somewhere else instead. And oh yes, let dogs enjoy as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
solohiker

solohiker
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm 
Thinly veiled contempt for dogs: shakehead.gif I haven't had a dog since mine died 5 years ago so it's not personal. If the goal is really to get people off the trail (which is a ridiculous goal for "a trail less than two hours from two million people") why not ban people WITHOUT dogs rather than people with them. Say what you will about frequency of seeing dogs - there are more dog-less people than people with dogs on the trail. Thus there'd be fewer people if everyone had to have a dog to hike there! dizzy.gif winksmile.gif
Ski wrote:
Randy wrote:
The problem is delusional individuals that have the egotistical demand that are entitled to hike in solitude on a trail less than two hours from two million people.
up.gif lol.gif up.gif lol.gif
up.gif up.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:22 pm 
joker wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Does this include the increasingly popular Canis Lupus?
Sure. Let's pass a law telling wolves they're not allowed within these borders. We can also make a law saying poison ivy isn't allowed to make people itch.
Don't forget ticks
Wolves rock. Ticks. The most vile creatures on Earth. 1000x worse than mosquitoes, IMO. I don't understand why they exist. I wish they didn't. I want them all to die. agree.gif Beware Kelly Butte Lookout.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:48 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Ticks. The most vile creatures on Earth.
You're probably right, just because they transmit so many diseases. But in the moment they're a distant second behind chiggers.(*) * Back home we called 'em red bugs.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:52 pm 
The disease transmitted by ticks are so much nastier than others mostly because we can treat mozzie diseases more easily.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn