Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stills vs. video
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm 
Well I just do snap shots now. I have done video and it takes a lot of time and effort to tell the truth you guys are not worth it. To me it is only worth while if for $$$ and I am not into it now. I have relatives in the industry.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 am 
I find video takes away control from the viewer and gives power to the creator of it. With stills, one can spend however much time one wants with an individual image before moving on. With video, you experience the images in a prescribed order. It's always amusing to see a video on FStoppers trying to explain stills lighting rechniques, when using actual stills and diagramming would be far more effective. But video is way better for monetization.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 pm 
As long as you do not profit from the video you can use the music. I prefer video as it shows more and takes a bit more to actually do well.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:27 pm 
ImTheScientist wrote:
As long as you do not profit from the video you can use the music.
Are you positive? That goes against what I have learned in the past about using copyrighted music for sharing online e.g. via using it as a soundtrack in a video. You need to obtain license rights to do this, at least based on what I've heard from intellectual property lawyers I've worked with in the past. They claimed it does not matter whether you are profiting from the video. The method of obtaining such a license varies - e.g. there are "creative commons" music pieces, libraries of "needle drop" music you can buy into and use any piece from, etc. The only exception I'm aware of is for "fair use" which is fairly narrow and if I were going to claim this exception I'd consult with an IP attorney first. If you know of other exceptions I'd love to see any references if you know of explanations online.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 4:37 pm 
AFAIK, if you are doing a personal video to share with friends or family there is no issue. But when you post to any kind of social media you need permission, have a creative commons piece, have purchased music from various companies that do this sort of thing, or write it yourself. I got flagged once by google because I had used a friend's piece and cited it in a video. I had to produce proof that I had the proper permissions as my bud's music was on a listed CD for sale and registered. When I have dealt with publications or film festivals, I needed to account for every piece of music in the production before it passed muster.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 4:54 pm 
That private sharing would be pretty unenforceable anyway. Sounds like you've heard the same take I've heard.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 4:58 pm 
joker wrote:
ImTheScientist wrote:
Are you positive? That goes against what I have learned in the past about using copyrighted music for sharing online e.g. via using it as a soundtrack in a video. You need to obtain license rights to do this, at least based on what I've heard from intellectual property lawyers I've worked with in the past. They claimed it does not matter whether you are profiting from the video. The method of obtaining such a license varies - e.g. there are "creative commons" music pieces, libraries of "needle drop" music you can buy into and use any piece from, etc. The only exception I'm aware of is for "fair use" which is fairly narrow and if I were going to claim this exception I'd consult with an IP attorney first. If you know of other exceptions I'd love to see any references if you know of explanations online.
Yep, joker is correct. If it is copyrighted music you must get permission to use it in any way other than private personal use. Even then you are supposed to buy a copy of the music originally. There are lots of free or low cost music services one can use for videos. You get what you pay for in my estimation. Video vs photos: If you intend conveying what an activity is like, video beats still photos hands down. For instance if you wanted to show what it's like to free climb El Capitan, you would opt for video. Still photos just could not convey that experience. If you are just trying to show a scene of what something looks like, photos are on an equal footing with video. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm 
I prefer the pics!!! The soundtracks on these vids are always bad news

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 6:30 pm 
Thanks Rummi I have told folk the same thing over the years but they still believe folk law.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 8:50 pm 
joker wrote:
ImTheScientist wrote:
When I post videos I put this: ===== FAIR-USE COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER * Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, commenting, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favour of fair use. ====== YouTube then allows it. I’m not a lawyer but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night..... anyways .... could be legal, could not be. All I know is YouTube then allows it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 pm 
It depends. Some content owners scan content posted on YouTube, etc for content that they have the rights to and then inform the platform. At which point they either remove the content or blank out the audio portion for music infringement. Other content owners don't have the resources or have decided that using their music for personal videos helps promote their music.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 pm 
Yeah, the IP lawyers I've talked to have a more narrow view of what actually constitutes "fair use" and "getting away with it" is a different thing from "not violating other people's copyrights." I suspect most of our moms explained the difference between "can" and "should" to us at some point... I'm not a fan of such violations but then I've also spent a lot of my life creating intellectual property.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 pm 
It depends on the medium. I will watch a very short video on instagram and enjoy it but will rarely click a video link on a forum or facebook. The instagram feed plays the videos silent unless you click the speaker for sound and it can be nice to see the water move or whatever. I pretty much wont click a video unless I know the subjects personally or I am researching something like deciding if I want to ride a particular mountain bike ride. I also hate the trend of how to videos. I would much rather read and look at pictures and maybe click a video of a demo of something short where video was best to show it. I despise recipe videos!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I despise recipe videos!
Good God, yes, I do too. I'm a calm person, but two things piss me off and make my blood boil; one is self checkout at the grocery store (the title alone is bothersome), and the 2nd is video recipes. I seethe when I run across one. (there's no video of my blood boiling or me seething).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pm 
There should be a maximum age limit to use self checkout.