Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > broken headphone leads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 7:41 am 
Came across an item while reading the net news. I remember years ago the headphones I bought and dismantled had strands of copper wires inside plastic insulation. They lasted a long time. Today the idea is 'cheap' and mass produce.. So now the wires no longer have that plastic insulation but instead just use varnish and the wires rub together thus removing the varnish and shorting out.....cheap..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 10:34 am 
Ya, we live in a "disposable society" make it cheap so it doesn't last then you have to buy more. I bought a can opener at the dollar store, it did not even work, then I bought another there, an older all metal type, I opened one can with it and it broke. I was too cheap to spend 10 bucks on one at Freddy's, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 am 
Go to a surplus store and get a P 38 light, emergency screwdriver, never break, and cheap. Do not get Chinese imitation they are crap. Real ones say go army or us army.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 am 
cj; also have a cheap can opener, it works, barely if you futz with it. my old one I had for 12 years broke one of the gears off. my p38 (johnwayne) manual operated can opener is in a bag or box somewhere.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 6:40 pm 
Wiki is sometimes wrong I have US Speaker and Go Army. The metal is not as soft as they say on real ones.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 12:09 am 
You are probably right two more I have are Shelbys.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 7:54 am 
okay.. dug out my old manual can opener. it was last used some 30 years ago... it says US speaker. suprisingly it was not rusty

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 12:26 pm 
Go Army P38

catsp

catsp
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 1:10 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Go Army P38
It appears my guess was incorrect. But in fairness, I posted that last year.

runup

runup
PostSun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Go to a surplus store and get a P 38 light, emergency screwdriver, never break, and cheap. Do not get Chinese imitation they are crap. Real ones say go army or us army.
up.gif P38 openers were sometimes missing from some of the meals in a case of C-rations. So as a “nug” (new guy), you quickly learned to acquire your own P38 and secure it with your dog tags. If I ever actually noticed what markings were on the government-issued version, I’ve long since forgotten. The purchased one that I have now says “made in Canada”. The P38 served its purpose well for decades, and its simple utilitarian design is still useful today.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 8:22 am 
I have another slightly longer manual can opener. It has a bottle opener on one end a very tiny spoon on the other and the flip out can opener..it says one word 'china'. and if my I could get flikr to accept my photos I would post one.

neek

neek
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 9:12 am 
You old guys and your nostalgic attachment to caveman artifacts crack me up. My can opener is IoT-compliant, 5G-ready, equipped with a 40 megapixel 360 degree camera and enhanced AI to recognize both operator and target with 99.9% accuracy and adjust performance and user interface parameters automatically. Furthermore it was made from recycled baby diapers which would otherwise be sitting in a landfill right now, hand-crafted in an obscure African village that was pulled out of extreme poverty when the Kickstarter-backed founders recognized the extreme win-win potential of the situation. It was only $999 on Amazon, delivered by drone before I even clicked "confirm". This P38 nonsense... well that's about as backwards as using your own two feet to get around. You know where that metal comes from, right? Anyway, carry on. I've got some cans to open.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 pm 
^ ykm.gif Good one, Neek. But I can relate to cdestroyer's angst, being one of those types who hates to shop, and will keep a good piece of equipment until it completely fails, and not when the newest iteration comes out. My Toyota PU's a superbly kept-up '85, my fridge (just replaced) was I don't know how old when I bought the house 20 years ago, and when I was cleaning out the garage a few days ago, took my no-longer-used oldest day pack and threw it into the washer, intending to drop it off at Goodwill. I was shocked by what I saw when I pulled it out (pic to come later). Someone told me that today's retail products (not just technology based) are now manufactured for 5 years of life, at best. Gotta keep consumers consumin' !! huh.gif Ski has opined in other threads about his vast experience in marketing and getting the public to buy all kinds of junk. BTW- speaking of "nostalgic attachment to caveman artifacts", some of us boomers fail to appreciate the younger folks' current fascination with clearly inferior technology - e.g. vinyl records. I get that there's compression with CD's, but it seems a fair tradeoff for getting rid of pops, scratchy sound and a recording method that wears out.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 pm 
in reply anne elk just heard on the news vinyl or just lps in general are making a comeback. some of those old lps are worth bucks to collectors.......

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 pm 
Quite a few old blues and jazz recordings are only available on vinyl.cover art on rock albums looks better on vinyl records. Finally the ceremony in playing is kind of cool to some folks.