Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
There should be a maximum age limit to use self checkout.
As long as it is set to climb over time, I could almost be cool with this sort of ageist rule. I know someone who thinks that there should also be a separate security line at airports for people over a certain age...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 8:16 pm 
Wow, how-to videos are pretty awesome. Reading is a very old school and out of date technology.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 pm 
I'm with you on many topics, Bernardo. I've watched a bunch on photo editing, and have also watched some on device repair and stuff like that. Cooking videos - mostly not, unless there's some aspect of the method that's super physical (making homemade mayo with an immersion blender, or stretching out a pizza dough for instance, though honestly I got my best tips there from a book...). My former large corporate employer would make us take some "compliance training" each year and frankly the videos were insufferable for the most part - thankfully they also provided transcripts (for accessibility e.g. for deaf people) which I could read much more quickly than watching the whole video, then do some email while waiting for the video to run through before I could take the required quiz questions that tested my comprehension.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 10:27 pm 
joker wrote:
Tom wrote:
There should be a maximum age limit to use self checkout.
As long as it is set to climb over time, I could almost be cool with this sort of ageist rule. I know someone who thinks that there should also be a separate security line at airports for people over a certain age...
By the time you get to be tech challenged self-checkout will have been replaced by something that will befuddle you. It's just the way of life. Back in 1979 I was one of the early adopters of a push button phone. Still a landline phone but with push buttons instead of a dial. My landlady, about 70 years of age and living next door, came to use my phone to call her daughter because she had locked herself out of her home. She picked up the head piece and then just stared at the base not knowing how to "dial" with it. I saved her the embarassment of asking for help and simply asked for the number and "dialed" for her. If we live long enough we are all going to slow down both physically and mentally, requiring patience from those in line behind us. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 am 
Yes, for sure. And some replacements for "self checkout" are already being piloted. I've met some octogenarians who do remarkably well at keeping up with new tech despite what they acknowledge as a slower mind than they once had. One can hope...

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:50 pm 
joker wrote:
I've met some octogenarians who do remarkably well at keeping up with new tech despite what they acknowledge as a slower mind than they once had.
Thank you. We try. Playing table tennis probably helps.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
nordique

nordique
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm 
Back when I was taking videos of friends climbing at Vertical World, there was usually music broadcast throughout the facility--which of course ended up on my videos. I never got any feedback about unauthorized use.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 5:48 pm 
nordique wrote:
I never got any feedback about unauthorized use.
Well that's because the copyright police never caught you. *bigintellectualpropertyrightgrins* Seriously, many artists don't try to enforce copyright on the small scale because it requires a lot of energy to do so. And depending on the platform and artist, copyright is enforced differently. On youtube they can simply divert the monitization away from the channel to the copyright owner. Or they could completely take down a video. Or they could take down the channel. I guess I raise my head every-once-in-a-while to remind people, like I did in this thread, that using copyright material without permission is wrong. I am not try trying to wag my finger at people or bash them over the head about it, just trying to remind them it is a type of unauthorized use, i.e. theft. I have read more than a few threads on backpacking forums, not sure if any on NWHikers, where people complained that someone else used their photos from a TR in an article or website or whatever without asking for permission. How do you think people who produce music feel about others doing the same to them? The same applies to copywrite news articles. Rather than copy and paste, the correct way is to use a sentence or two, then link to the entire article. And that is a prime example of why making quality videos is difficult, because of the expence of music. Photos don't need that added layer to add quality. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
nordique

nordique
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 pm 
I agree with you! I can take photos of my climbing friends at Vertical World--and capture zero music! However, videos of climbers are more instructive than stills, usually. Now to see how to turn off sound while taking videos....

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm 
It's the law; but it's not necessarily just.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:01 am 
I once tried to post a short video to Facebook and it kept getting rejected. I couldn't figure out why at first, then I realized that the video was shot from inside my car and I had the stereo on playing music and Facebook's algorithms heard the music. I can't figure out how all these people post music to Youtube. Not the musicians or their publishers but what appears to be just regular people posting videos of music they like, some with their own fan made videos (usually just a series of pictures). I gave up trying to post videos with copyrighted music to Youtube because they wouldn't even allow the upload. I guess I can understand it on Youtube since that would allow people to get around buying the music, but there's all kinds of copyrighted music on Youtube you can listen to without buying it, so maybe I don't understand. As for photos vs. videos - both have their place and it really depends on the subject and the video itself. In Trip Reports, I'll give a video a few seconds to engage me and if it does I'll probably watch it if it's not overly long. Anything over 2 minutes is probably not getting watched. Better if it's less than one minute. I love good photos like the ones many people post here. For "how to" type stuff I find a lot of videos incredibly aggravating, but again it depends on the subject. The most useful videos I find are automotive repair but even some of those suffer the same problem as other videos such as software training videos - you end up being forced to watch a bunch of stuff you either already know or don't care about to get to the one thing you're trying to figure out. If I have a good old-fashioned printed manual I can skim through the paragraphs and diagrams way faster to get to the part I need. There's a neighborhood Facebook group I belong to where this one guy posts links to his hiking videos. It's obvious he's trying to develop a following and become a social media personality but his videos are painfully boring, though pretty well edited. One video is him hiking to some lowland lake in the rain, fishing and not catching anything, and then making a cup of hot cocoa on his shiny new wood stove (which of course he describes at length as he's obviously trying to become a "brand ambassador" or some such thing). He talks in a monotone most of the time, too. Why he thinks anyone wants to watch that is utterly beyond me. I think he had like ten followers the last time I bothered to look at his Youtube feed, or whatever it's called. All that said, I posted that video of the wolves howling recently because I don't know any other good way to share that kind of thing. Obviously the interest wasn't the video itself as it's 99.9% darkness, but how else do you share the sound of something in a forum such as this? I do want to play around with video editing and try to produce some short videos though. Videos *can* be cool if done right. I love watching first person biking videos when the rider is tackling something seriously cool, and I love well done skiing videos. Used to love going to the ski movies (Warren Miller, MSP, TGR, etc.)

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 am 
If you are interested in a brief overview of using music in videos or whatever kind of productions, check out this blog post. It is talking about podcasts but applies to any non private use. Rumi

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 am 
Instagram actually has most popular songs that you can post to short video clips for "stories" but there is a time limit.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 am 
Youtube never gives me any grief over copyrighted music, they just put an ad for the music in the verbiage beneath the video. Maybe it’s because my channel isn’t monetized? Grammar Jedi My videos are usually still pics strung together.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 8:51 pm 
Stills speak my language. I have been known to combine stills into a video, but that's been rare and, admittedly, was probably only entertaining to me.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin